Cyanoacrylate (super glue) sensitivity?!

Scott Graham

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Does anyone else have this problem? For the last 3-4 years I get either asthma-like or flu-like symptoms after I use super glues on models. Over this same period I've also developed GERD (acid reflux) problems, which are also probably aggravated by the fumes from the glues, and is probably adding to some of the side effects I experience.

I have switched to odorless, which doesn't seem as strong but seems to cause less after effects. I also try to use other glues when possible.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has gone through this seeming intolerance problem with cyanoacrylates. It's a bit frustrating dealing with it, but it beats the day or two after when I have a running nose and feel sick after using the glue. It always seems to come on a few hours after exposure to it.

PS-I'm sure that if I had a good ventilation system, that this probably wouldn't happen so severely, but that's difficult when in a small apartment, especially during winter. It's really been inhibiting my model building since it comes with punishment as a side effect!

I've not had it happen but i've heard of it quite a bit with people who use them alot, i know i had a sensitivity to plastic when i worked at a factory. It led to nose bleeds and rashes. Does normal non toxic model glues do it too?

The first thing to determine is whether the fumes, or touching the skin -- or both -- causes the problem. I know CA fumes burn my eyes if I get close enough. It's also hard to keep from getting it on your fingers.

You need a "glue booth." Think of it like a paint booth, but the purpose is to extract fumes so you don't breathe any. The fan keeps fresh air moving across the work surface. I built a large one for my shop. You could adapt a small airbrush painting booth in your limited space.

BTW, apple cider vinegar virtually eliminates acid reflux. It's loads cheaper than medications. It's worked for me for many years now.

Then you should use a mask, I think you developed a intolerance against CA. I've never experienced that - sometimes I use it as a wound glue, for the fastest measure, since it was developed as that (they use another CA formula now). It the first time I heard someone is sensitive against CA.

From wikipedia:

Toxicity

The fumes from CA are a vaporized form of the cyanoacrylate monomer that irritate sensitive membranes in the eyes, nose, and throat. They are immediately polymerized by the moisture in the membranes and become inert. These risks can be minimized by using CA in well ventilated areas. About 5% of the population can become sensitized to CA fumes after repeated exposure, resulting in flu-like symptoms. It may also act as a skin irritant and may cause an allergic skin reaction. The ACGIH assign a Threshold Limit Value exposure limit of 200 parts per billion. On rare occasions, inhalation may trigger. There is no singular measurement of toxicity for all cyanoacrylate adhesives as there is a wide variety of adhesives that contain various cyanoacrylate formulations.

The United States National Toxicology Program and the United Kingdom Health and Safety Executive have concluded that the use of ethyl cyanoacrylate is safe and that additional study is unnecessary. 2-octyl cyanoacrylate degrades much more slowly due to its longer organic backbone that slows the degradation of the adhesive enough to remain below the threshold of tissue toxicity. Due to the toxicity issues of ethyl cyanoacrylate, the use of 2-octyl cyanoacrylate for sutures is preferred.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have to always be smart about this, but sometimes relapse and am lazy and pay the price. I have looked up info about it before and got some advice. A lot of guys in other forums have experienced this and I'm surprised more people here haven't had problems. I assume it's because I'm 47 and have used the glues for so many years that I've built up some kind of intolerance and also the lack of ventilation.

One thing that comes up is odorless CA glues. That's what I used recently and had little to no respiratory reaction to it.

Here are other articles/forum postings about it. FYI for anyone else having problems and for the many that might develop this problem, here are some sources of info and talk about it. This first link is what I found a few years ago about it.

Action Figure Insider ? View topic - Superglue Sensitivity WARNING! Customizers please read

CA Glue allergy ? - RC Groups

Cyanoacrylate and Allergic Rhinitis - RC Groups

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=47419

Does anyone else have this problem? For the last 3-4 years I get either asthma-like or flu-like symptoms after I use super glues on models. Over this same period I've also developed GERD (acid reflux) problems, which are also probably aggravated by the fumes from the glues, and is probably adding to some of the side effects I experience.

I have switched to odorless, which doesn't seem as strong but seems to cause less after effects. I also try to use other glues when possible.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has gone through this seeming intolerance problem with cyanoacrylates. It's a bit frustrating dealing with it, but it beats the day or two after when I have a running nose and feel sick after using the glue. It always seems to come on a few hours after exposure to it.

PS-I'm sure that if I had a good ventilation system, that this probably wouldn't happen so severely, but that's difficult when in a small apartment, especially during winter. It's really been inhibiting my model building since it comes with punishment as a side effect!

YES! I brought this up a while back in the Space:199 Eagle Build Thread. I've had this frustrating problem for years. And yes, the odorless version is definitely not as strong. The cyanoacrylate glue works like Heaven, but the effects are from Hell. :(

The only plus to this unfortunate situation is that you could, if necessary, plan ahead and feign a cold with realistic symptoms! :lol

I have similar reactions to hairspray, which contains *drum roll* cyanoacrylate.

I have a friend that retired from making props and costumes due to developing a allergic reaction from contact with it.

Yeah. I got the same kind of symptoms starting last year as well. I wear a mask and filter that is supposed to filter out the fumes, but the eyes still are a bother. Currently I'm finishing my basement and making myself a workshop. I'll be keeping the window open whenever I'm working on my models from now on.
I never new there was odourless glue. Thanks for the tip.

TazMan2000

Google Cyanoacrylate MSDS and read up on it.

I use CA constantly at my work. And I notice I was beginning to sensitize also. Fortunately, I have a sometimes very effective suction system built into the wall at my work bench so I have that going every time I use the CA. No more problems. At home, building models, I only use it in very small doses so there's never enough for me to smell it. And generally I only use it for joining unlike materials... most of my stuff is using styrene and I tend to use model cement for it rather than CA.

Good luck!

--Alex

I was working with CA (Super Glue) for a year or so in 1999 when I developed constant aggrevating symptoms to it: a runny nose and stuffy sinuses. Took me a couple months to make the connection. (Doh!) I also became very sensitive to other things as that pushed my body past it's toxicity threshold (what it was able to take.)

The effects are accumulative I found. The more you use it the more you'll suffer and the longer it will take for the body to simmer down. I desensitized to it after an extended period of not using it but sure enough, the symptoms returned during a prolonged project.

If I use it now, I use it ever so sparingly and with a little fan pulling it away from the work or with a window open weather permitting.

Hope that helps.

Jon

The only time I've had a problem is when I was using kicker to speed up the drying. I inhaled some fumes and they about knocked me out.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back