Does ANYONE have a 3D printer?

KrangPrime

Master Member
Apologies if this isn't the right place for this thread...

I've been toying around with getting some of my SoftImage Models turned into 12" Statues...
and later, Perhaps, Turning them into costumes or props if 3D Printers can create either fabric, or hard resin pieces that I could thin out.
But, first is finding someone with a printer big enough and reasonable prices ;o)...
1175177_10151832260925211_1634985569_n.jpg

1230018_10151823069270211_1051598314_n.jpg

If anyone can help, LMK :)

Last edited:
bump...

also, I was looking at the makerbot.
If I decided to spend the hefty 2 grand, how easy is it to get set up and running? How expensive is printing material? how long would it take to print out a 3D statue?

thanks

Good luck. If anyone chimes in with a 3D printer willing to do this, I'm sure there will be plenty more people here who would like to secure their services. It might be a good money-making venture for someone who'd like to offset the cost of their printer.

The MakerBot 2 Replicator is pretty easy to set up and get going. The fillament spools sell for about $50 plus shipping. I orderd one recently here in Canada and it cost me around $90, but I should have found a cheaper shipper. But the fillment goes a long way as the prints are mostly hollow with a honycomb interior. When printing custom objects you have to think about how a fillament printer works, it builds up layer by layer, so your female figure shown above would need supports under her arms, as there is nothing below to lay the filament onto. The Makerware program will build supports if you set it to, you just have to cut them off later. The details in the print isn't always great with lines of print material showing, but it's not bad, you can print in high, med and low res. As for how long it takes to print, that depends on size and resolution. Also very small details, like under 1mm don't come out very well, so think bigger.
I have a post started called "Easy 3D Modeling", have a look there for some info on programs that you can use, but it looks like you have that figures out.
I have access to a printer but cannot make anything for you, one day I'd like to buy one too, but I'll wait for the MakerBot 3.

There's also the Formlabs models...

Formlabs - High Resolution Desktop 3D Printer

Which is a Sterolithograhpy printer using UV lasers to create the objects compared to the other units that extrude plastics. It's more expensive, and the materials cost quite a bit more, but the detail level is better, considering it supposedly has a layer thickness of only 25 microns compared to 100 microns on the others. I've been looking at 3D printers for a bit now, and without sending what you want printed to Shapeways or someone similar with commerical printers the Formlabs unit has the best detail levels that I've come across in this price point. If I've missed one please let me know! I know Maruska has a formlabs one but I don't recall if he's gotten anything out of it to show yet.

I'd like to see a comparison between the two styles side-by-side. I understand the measurements of 25 and 100 microns but I'd like to see a comparison of the two next to each other. I'm more visual, hehe.

EDIT: I was wrong, Maruska has printed the seats to the falcon, but only at one detail level. I'll have to see if I can find something that shows the difference....

Last edited:
Just looking at the 'User Images' from the Formlabs site that Aegis provided and I can tell you right away the detail is much better than the Makerbot. The Formlabs objects look smoother, much more finished and more complex than what a filament printer could probably do.

No worries man. It's good init. Good luck with your search. I'm contemplating one as well. There's no easy answers for us yet I fear...

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back