Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of

Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR building - the build

Loving this thread. The lighting really sells it. Beautiful!

My all-time favorite movie and you've pulled a great set-piece to replicate. Beautiful work so far. Subscribed!

Yes! Circuit boards, old computer innards and the likes are always a endless source of greeblies. That lighting is indeed a big plus for the general ambiance:cool

jeez I can`t even remember this. it`s been so long since I watched BR. I`ll have to dig it out and watch it this weekend.

Yo!

In the past few days I had some other work to do so there wasn't much time for Sushi bar. I focused only on -gas pump- part of the building and wanted to fully paint it to set the look for rest of the building. Here is the process.

Here is how it looked before the primer. I've put some more junk under the roof, and a gas tank on the roof:

1_zpshlhcls3c.jpg~original.jpg

Here it is primed:

2_zpslad6lqiq.jpg~original.jpg

Then it was on to dark wash, rust, some color here and there.. The usual weathering stuff... The building is mostly monochrome and grey, so there is no point in painting it too much. Also, I'm sure anything I do at this phase will probably not show on film because of the low key lighting.

3_zps7wxvcbdn.jpg~original.jpg

I found some old price tags I printed on adhesive paper some time ago and I decided I could use parts of them to add some signs to gas pump.

4_zpsmswlkczr.jpg~original.jpg

And here is the finished gas pump:

5_zpsis0brzud.jpg~original.jpg

Again, I did just a quick lighting test. The pump will probably have 2 LEDs under the roof - one on each side.

6_zpsvrtbopbi.jpg~original.jpg

I bought two dozens of red and white LEDs and I hope I'll install them to the building today or tomorrow..

Hope you like the progress! New updates coming soon!

Attachments

• 5_zpsis0brzud.jpg~original.jpg
    5_zpsis0brzud.jpg~original.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:

The contrast of the shadows and bright LEDs together with the rust paint really make this look like real! Great work!

Don't dismiss totally the washes and the used look...it might help with the final look...that pump is looking very good (and clever use of tags):cool

THANKS! I'm glad you like it guys! :)

Joberg, I'll definitely weather the whole building! It's the most fun part :), but it's funny how I thought that maybe I even went over the top with that gas pump part and it actually hardly even shows when lit! So I guess it should be dirtied a lot to look good on camera!

ok, UPDATES! Yesterday was so exciting!!! We did first serious test with LEDs, lights, and even fog!!! Everything was very rushed since we all have our day jobs that don't leave much time for escapades to a parallel dystopian universes, but we enjoyed it and managed to make a couple of good shots.

First, here is the building primed and sprayed with light gray color.

1_zpsvlcj1on7.jpg~original.jpg

This photo is actually unnecessary since it is similar to the one above, but it shows some lighting equipment so.. I don't know.. :)

2_zps27qlibih.jpg~original.jpg

OK, now the real deal. We actually had the programmable slider and did each take as a timelapse. 9 minutes of photographing gave us a 10 second clip. I did not have the time to composite the video yet but here is a small making of that shot. Couple of different phases give the final look:

3.jpg

The "stars" in the above example were made with a crappy star filter that changes any bright source to a star. This one produces only four rays per light, and it looks christmassy which sucks. But, here are some different tests we made without star filter - just with different lenses. Left one is 20mm lens and right is some zoom lens.

4_zps1laajzcu.jpg~original.jpg

You can get the star this way if you close the aperture all the way (we had around f18-f22), and then increase exposure time a lot until you get the properly exposed picture again. For this tests I think I exposed it for 20-25 seconds. It's totally cool and gives that magic touch! :)

Of course, in the future we'll put some more random buildings in the background so it'll feel more like a city. For now it's just a lonely building. Here are some more shots for your viewing pleasure: :lol

sushi%205_zpska1elycx.jpg~original.jpg

E_geOUH3m-mte-KzJ_KcV_rrq7yFgB3oaJi9sO1ODFA

sushi%207_zpsrfwc7xa2.jpg~original.jpg

sushi%206_zpsv2elqskw.jpg~original.jpg

Well, here it is! As you can imagine, it was soooo awesome to be in a smokey room with all this little lights turned on! I can't wait to work on this again! Of course, I'll keep you posted as soon as I make some progress!

Thanks for viewing and commenting! Cheers!:cheers

Last edited:

I really like this project, makes me want to do something similar!

Can you explain why it is not possible to do the pictures and the film in one turn only? I don't fully understand why there are so many steps needed with extra lighting... no offence, I'm just unknowing when it comes to such effects.

Best regards,
Thorsten

That's it, Tech Noir here you come:cool Now, you're right about the grime, it has to be somewhat exaggerated to show on camera. Now, where are the vehicules and the clients:D

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back