Subscribe
    From
    Small local town near Narita airport
    Oct 30, 2015, 7:42 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #476

OMG!
    That last pic is making really a breath taking effect!!!!!!!!!
    From
    Croatia
    Nov 10, 2015, 7:15 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #477

Hey guys!

We're back - one step closer to the goal, and with a brand new action-packed Production Diary! (well, not really action-packed)

So, last week we had a quick two-day filming. We filmed just a couple of shots of our friendly dealer doing what he does best... dealing.
    This time we decided to film it outside the studio, on a real location. We pulled some strings and got an opportunity to film at a squat/culture center "Medika". We dressed the location up a bit, but with all the graffiti it was mostly ready to go!
    Check it out:

We are really happy with the material, but more about that in the Production Diary.

Filming on the second day was done back at my place. The shots were filmed from inside the car towards the driver's window, so we created the illusion of the city outside with the miniatures, like we did once before.

It wasn't that easy because you can never have enough buildings, and we had to be creative to fill all the holes between miniatures, but we pulled through.

Anyway, here's the new Production Diary No.9! I hope you'll find it interesting!

I'm not even sure what we will be doing next. The SFX/miniatures are of course on the to do list, as well as some pickups from the toilet scene.
    I just hope jobs won't get in the way too much!

Okay, thanks for your comments, and we'll be in touch! Byeeee

3. Count Magnus RPF Premium Member Mike J.'s Avatar
    From
    Skull Island
    Nov 10, 2015, 7:59 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #478

Awesome. So good to hear from you guys. Your 'location' is an excellent find, and adds a lot of 'production value'

Depending on how tightly you frame or crop the car scenes, no one should be able to notice the difference, as the computer consoles / whatever will simply be assumed by the viewer to be off camera. But you know that.

And I like your phony 'neon' sign. Does that LED rope (is that what that is?) come in user-selectable multiple colors via a little control box? Because, if it did, you could re-arrange the sign and change the colors and make it look like multiple, different signs. Alternatively, you could wrap gels around parts of it to give it different colors: Yellow light + Blue gels = green, etc.

-MJ
    From
    Northern part of Los Angeles County
    Nov 11, 2015, 12:57 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #479

Another great production diary. Glad to see you got a couple of days to get some filming done.
  5. Member Since
    May 2013
    From
    Germany
    Nov 11, 2015, 1:37 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #480

I love your diaries and somehow hope, that the production never ends
  6. Member Since
    Aug 2015
    Nov 11, 2015, 2:28 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #481

One word…

Awesome!

Great update, superb location find and filming. Agree with Thorst, more production updates and hope they never end. Though I look forward to the day I can see your film.

Loving this so much.

Keep up the fantastic work.
    Nov 11, 2015, 6:48 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #482

Love it, love it, love it!!
    From
    Croatia
    Nov 16, 2015, 5:34 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #483

Hey there!!

Just a small update!
    I wanted to make a couple of "foreground" buildings that will be more detailed and with better lighting.. The first one is done, so here are some photos!

As always, the base is a wooden box, and on top of that I arranged computer parts, kit parts, bits and pieces...

I lit it with single strip of christmas lights. I think these ones are SMD LEDs because they are small, but they are really, really bright..

Best part of any build - primer! I didn't bother to mask each LED before spraying, I just cleaned them with thinner afterwards.

Then I gave it a coat of light gray. Since all LEDs are white I just hand painted some of them red and yellow.. Just to give it some diversity...

And as always, here's a proper beauty shot, with smoke and everything...
    I hacked up an old plastic crate and glued it to the sides of the building to give it some texture.

That's all for today. There should be more model making soon!
    See ya!
  9. Count Magnus RPF Premium Member Mike J.'s Avatar
    From
    Skull Island
    Nov 16, 2015, 2:32 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #484

Spectacular. Really looks like it belongs in BR
    From
    Jamison, Pennsylvania
    Nov 17, 2015, 12:04 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #485

That is one heck of a beauty shot! Seems like the perfect night time haze for a city

Excellent work
    From
    Nov 17, 2015, 5:03 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #486

Another wonderful design. It looks like it has a purpose and function. Like MikeJ said, it does look like it belongs in BR.
    From
    OE / FRANCE
    Nov 20, 2015, 10:55 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #487

AWESOME WORK AS ALWAYS guys, wow (again, again & again) !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nov 22, 2015, 1:49 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #488

Love it to bits!! Too many types of plastic crates and not enough time
  14. RPF Premium Member LukaFilm's Avatar
    From
    Croatia
    Nov 24, 2015, 5:33 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #489

Hey guys!
    Tomorrow I'm going on a personal trip to Derby, England, so I wanted to post a new update before I leave!

This cute little thing arrived in mail today!!
    It's a 1/43 scale diecast model of Citroen BX - the same car we used for filming last summer.

It should be a pretty close scale with the sushi bar building, and the idea was to modify it to look like our red future car, and film it with the miniature.
    So I gave it a light sanding, and glued stuff on it until it started to resemble the bigger car model.

I painted the body red, the tanks silver, and glued on the bumpers.

And from the front:

It's going to work really good for a couple of shots I think. It's not finished yet, some details are still missing, and I want to install a couple of leds inside, but I ran out of time today.
    As I said, I'm flying to Derby tomorrow, so If anyone's close by - send me a message, and we'll go for a .

Thanks for looking, and see you soon!
    From
    Nov 24, 2015, 11:52 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #490

What a nice addition to this project. It will be fun to see this in the film. Have a safe trip to Derby.
    Nov 26, 2015, 4:32 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #491

Love the transfo on that CitroŽn!
    Nov 30, 2015, 7:14 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #492

The skill and dedication you have shown on this thread is totally inspirational. I love this!
    Makes me wanna make stuff...... Thanks for sharing
  18. Member Since
    Nov 2015
    From
    United Kingdom
    Dec 1, 2015, 7:01 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #493

Guys - to call this inspirational is the understatement of the Century. Awesome work - simply awe inspiring.

Please keep us posted - I think I'm more excited about this than the Villenueve movie! :-)
  19. RPF Premium Member LukaFilm's Avatar
    From
    Croatia
    Dec 14, 2015, 7:27 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #494

YO YO guys!!!
    I'm back from my trip, and before crazy-round-the-clock-full-time-holiday-commercial-making-marathon that started this week, I managed to squeeze a couple of hours of model building. So today I have a big update for you!
    But, before we continue I want to thank you for you comments!
    And, Czar, more excited about this than Blade runner 2?? Wow, I hope we'll live up to expectation!

OK, let's start!

I finished detailing the Mini-Citroen, and my cousin helped me installing 5 LED's inside. Four for the lights, and one for cockpit.

It's wired through the bottom, and since I need it for the shots where it is already landed, hiding the wires shouldn't be a problem. Here's a test shot of the lights:

Ok, the next thing we slowly did over the last couple of months is installing LEDs in the big car as well. The difference here is that there's much more of them, and most are connected to Arduino controller which means we can program them blinking in any way we want. The only problem is that we don't know how to program it!
    It's easy to do basic stuff, but here we need 3-4 individual groups of LEDs, each doing different things. Roof blinking at different intervals than the cockpit, and underside blinking in some kind of a landing pattern... And that's higher level of programming so basically we're stuck!
    If anyone worked with Arduino and knows how to program that, help would be much appreciated.

Here's a photo with everything on:

Here are the underside landing lights that should blink sequentially.

I also made another building. Similar style as the last one, just a different design.

And again I just lit it with christmas lights.

And later in the night when the work is done, we turn on the buildings and models, and sit back and enjoy the view and a beer... After 10 minutes we just can't resist and we start playing, pumping some smoke in, and setting up test shots!

We quickly threw the scene together and suspended the Mini-Citroen with fishing string over the city. I just deleted the wires in Photoshop.

And a behind the scenes shot for the end of this post:

Here's one interesting thing about cameras.. Mostly I'm doing these tests with my Canon 550D, and since they are just tests I'm happy with them, bu no matter what I do I can't get that proper movie feel on the photos. It looks too plastic. But, when we film it with Black Magic camera somehow that movie feel is there.. Probably because of dynamic range or something - I don't know really, but it just works! It's interesting...

So now for a month or two we'll have tons of work so I don't know how much time I'll have for the film.. But we'll see.

Thanks for looking!!!
    Last edited by LukaFilm; Dec 14, 2015 at 8:16 AM.
    From
    United Kingdom
    Dec 14, 2015, 8:13 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #495

Hey Luka, I have some experience with Arduino, happy to help out if you can let me know which board you have, how many different lighting circuits you need, and so on. In fact, I'd be thrilled to be involved in a project like this in some small way!
    From
    I live on earth.
    Dec 14, 2015, 12:00 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #496

Looking good...wish this was a 2 hour feature to play in theaters. I'd sure go see it.
    Also, since easter eggs are so fun, you should throw in a flying delorean somewhere in the background.
    From
    Dec 14, 2015, 12:32 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #497

Excellent work as usual. You have really captured the Blade Runner feel. It just keeps looking more and more amazing.
  23. Member Since
    Aug 2015
    Dec 14, 2015, 12:38 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #498

Updates, yeah!!!!!

Love the new building, very cool. Kinda like one near me. Looking beautiful, even if only using the Canon. I know the BM are a superb camera. Resolution, dynamic range, sensor size all do make a difference. The DOF makes a major difference between consumer and professional, but look who I'm telling. Teaching grandmother to suck eggs.

Amazing also what a coat of primer can do
    Last edited by rubble; Dec 14, 2015 at 12:44 PM.
  24. Member Since
    Jan 2014
    From
    berlin
    Dec 14, 2015, 1:13 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #499

Really amazed by the speed you put those sceneries together, and it looks always nice – just awesome. The whole thread is very entertaining, thanks Luka!
  25. Member Since
    May 2013
    From
    Germany
    Dec 14, 2015, 1:39 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #500

That's looking amazing! I feel the fun you have in each update! Awesome work!

A small idea for the buildings: Have you considered to give them areas with different grades of glossyness? I mean, some areas or panels being more flat, some being more glossy, kind of what you would do with a specular map in CGI? Without wanting to critisize your work (I know I could never do this!), I feel that it could improve the result even more.

Thanks for letting us look at your work!

Thorsten