Subscribe
    Feb 15, 2015, 2:55 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #351

This is absolutely amazing! Your sets are breathtaking!

RAM
    From
    Oakland, CA
    Feb 16, 2015, 12:42 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #352

Love this thread!
    From
    Croatia
    Feb 18, 2015, 5:21 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #353

Thank you ALL for your GREAT comments, and I'm superhappy that you like our work!

OK, as promised, here's the "Production diary No.5"
    (btw - it's still a quick composit, but be sure to check out a special treat at the very end )

New updates coming soon!
    Last edited by LukaFilm; Aug 1, 2015 at 4:54 AM.
  4. Count Magnus RPF Premium Member Mike J.'s Avatar
    From
    Skull Island
    Feb 18, 2015, 5:27 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #354

Oh man, that was great!

The parking meter is a nice touch, and the final comp looks great

*chop!*

-MJ
    Feb 18, 2015, 5:50 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #355

Love it, love it and love it (did I mention that I loved it?)
  6. Member Since
    May 2013
    Feb 18, 2015, 6:32 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #356

I can not wait to see this completed.
  7. RPF Staff RPF Premium Member VilleLeskinen's Avatar
    From
    Finland
    Feb 20, 2015, 1:57 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #357

Everything's looking great! Thanks especially on commenting the lighting. The toplight seems like a good idea to get some separation between the actor and the background. What lights are you using? Fresnels?

Keep on rocking!
  8. Member Since
    May 2013
    Feb 20, 2015, 7:57 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #358

Absolutely awesome.
  9. Member Since
    May 2013
    From
    Germany
    Feb 20, 2015, 11:31 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #359

It's amazing to watch you doing this! Thanks for showing all of this!
  10. RPF Premium Member LukaFilm's Avatar
    From
    Croatia
    Feb 25, 2015, 5:46 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #360

I'm glad you like it!! THANKS!

I wanted to say a couple more things on the lighting!

Ville, mostly we use "Dedolight" lights. We have a couple of 150W and a couple of 400W lights. Since our setups are always quite complicated we usually rent more of them.
    As you noticed it's good to light a person from behind to get some separation from the background. In the production diary Dino called that "kontra-light" since we in Croatia use a german term "kontralicht". In english though, the correct term would be "back light".

We like that look very much so we use it pretty often, but it's not - a must. In fact, you don't see it that often in Blade Runner, interestingly. The light comes from only one source for 90% of the time. I guess if you have great set design everything looks great, we however rely on lighting a bit more.

Also, pretty important factor in making the shots look cool is fog, not only in exterior scenes, but also interior. Rooms are not normally foggy in real life, but it looks great. Aesthetics before logic is our matra!

Before deciding on lighting Dino experiments with different color gels to see what would look best. In this picture you can see a couple of test frames we shot with different color gels.
    You can see we started with three different colors but it seemed too colorful so we gradually reduced it to only one.

My point being you don't just come on the spot and start shooting, but actually it's lots of testing until you get the final image.

We actually filmed the whole noodle bar scene a couple of times before we shot it for real. We do it to solve things like camera and actor positions, and to get a feel of the scene early on. That way you can see potential problems while you are still in the sketching phase.

1. First test was shot outside in front of garage, since we didn't start building the bar yet.
    2. A couple of tests were shot during the building phase, to test the lighting and so..
    3. And this is a final shot, minus the post production.

We're slowly preparing the toilet scene so in the next few days I'll try to post some progress on the street cop costume and so..

See you soon!
  11. I never said Batman!!! RPF Premium Member Bigdaddy's Avatar
    From
    Midwest USA
    Feb 25, 2015, 9:02 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #361

This is absolutely amazing! If I'm ever in Croatia I'll by the whole group drinks.
    From
    Northern part of Los Angeles County
    Feb 25, 2015, 6:59 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #362

I'm more and more blown away with every update. This is such beautiful work.
    Feb 26, 2015, 4:34 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #363

Fantastic! Always love the behind the scene stuff. And yes, lots of prep before shooting for real; that's why you have a DP, a trusted camera operator and a Director and...well, you get my drift
  14. RPF Premium Member brandomack's Avatar
    From
    Vancouver, BC
    Mar 15, 2015, 7:40 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #364

This was just posted on facebook.....

http://m.imgur.com/a/mv8qf
  15. RPF Premium Member Stormy320's Avatar
    From
    Pasadena, CA
    Mar 15, 2015, 7:56 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #365

Unbelievable pictures!

Wow
    Mar 15, 2015, 8:22 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #366

ARCHIVES!! Great behind the scene for sure. TFS with us brandomack my V.K. eye was not too far from the original Click image for larger version. 

Name:	085.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	206.8 KB 
ID:	451557
  17. RPF Premium Member brandomack's Avatar
    From
    Vancouver, BC
    Mar 15, 2015, 9:32 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #367

joberg said: View Post
    ARCHIVES!! Great behind the scene for sure. TFS with us brandomack my V.K. eye was not too far from the original Click image for larger version. 

Name:	085.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	206.8 KB 
ID:	451557
    Thanks goes to Bradley Layer for sharing via the Propsummit Facebook page.
  18. RPF Premium Member LukaFilm's Avatar
    From
    Croatia
    Mar 16, 2015, 7:26 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #368

YEAH!!! I saw it as well on FB this morning and I almost fell off my chair.
    Thank you Brandonmack for posting it here!

There really are some AMAZING photos of more obscure vehicles, and most importantly - the sushi bar.

I can see now that on our model we did many details somewhat differently, but generally I guess it has the same vibe..
    We are definitely missing that skull there, that's for sure..

Does anyone know who made the album, and if more photos will come our way?
    Mar 16, 2015, 7:38 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #369

A huge thanks for Bradley Layer for that throve of pics!
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    Mar 17, 2015, 11:54 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #370

AMAZING!
    Mar 17, 2015, 5:44 PM - Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #371

This looks great! As a film student, it's nice to see people who still use practical effects. Very refreshing!

About the compositing: do you use the blending modes and opacity tweaks to layer all of the passes together? And have you had to deal with the fixed pattern noise issue on the BMC4K? Just wondering, because I know it's not all that sensitive in low light.

SB
    Last edited by StevenBills; Mar 17, 2015 at 8:07 PM.
  22. RPF Premium Member LukaFilm's Avatar
    From
    Croatia
    Mar 18, 2015, 8:18 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #372

Hey Steven, thanks for your questions.

Each pass we film has a different light setup, and we want to composit it all together, right. So basically you want to "add" all passes together, but only light, not the blacks. For that I use "screen" and "add" blending modes in After effects, and they do just that - recognize only light parts of the shot and add them together. It is exactly the same process that they did in the old days; they shot a pass, rewound the film back to beginning, and shot another pass, thus adding more light each time.

Good question about the fixed pattern noise on Black Magic camera. Yes, the truth is, they are not that sensitive in low light, and you get a fair amount of noise in those types of shots. So even in the completely black area of the shot, there's still noise (which is also light information), and you can imagine if you add 5-6 shots together - the noise adds too and you get a mess.
    So what I learned is to crush the blacks on each shot to the point where the noise disappears, which leaves only light information - and then screen them together.

There was also an issue of those weird white dots all around the shot, which many users of BMC cameras reported around the web. We were noticing them too when the camera was new, but they somehow disappeared over time. We do install all the patches they release, so that could have fixed it..

Mar 18, 2015, 12:51 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #373

Thought so. Blending modes are pretty powerful tools! And have you tried looking into something like Neat Video or Dark Energy for doing some noise reduction? That way you wouldn't have to clip the blacks, although this subject matter definitely lives on the aesthetically darker side of things.

Just a thought.

SB
  24. RPF Premium Member LukaFilm's Avatar
    From
    Croatia
    Mar 26, 2015, 3:55 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #374

Yo, yo, yo! Whats up?
    I managed to make some progress on the Street cop costume, so here are some pictures!

Firstly, I cracked the vac-form problem I had before. It turned out I had been using the wrong kind of plastic. I couldn't heat it to a point that was good for forming because it would melt. It just wasn't the kind you could use for that particular job. So I found some small store hidden from the eyes of public, and I bought some proper plastic sheets. It worked flawlessly.
    I did pierce each hole on the clay mould so the air would go through, and I used vacuum cleaner to create suction.

Here are the pulls that I made. The plastic came in different colors, but later I spray painted them all black of course.

Since they are hollow I wanted to give them some rigidness, so I filled them with expanding foam. Somehow it looks edible, right?

And here's the famous cod piece, it barely fit in my small vac-former!

And now all that is left is EXTREMELY slow and boring task of sewing them to the vest. It's soooo boring..

Ok, apart from that I continued to mould all the badges I am going to need. Since many casts have some imperfections I just remelt them and pour them again, so I'm used to this kind of sight but I guess to some of you it's going to be a first...

Oh, yeah, I finally made those two.. number.. pins? Whatever they are. I hand cut the numbers from adhesive foil, and used them as a stencil to spray over them. You can see I bought hair buckle and glued it in the back.

And here are all badges I made. He's going to wear a raincoat, so I needed to make two sets of each badge. One for the vest, the other for raincoat. I'm going to put police badge on the shoulder of the raincoat, and one of them goes on the helmet.

This weekend we'll probably finish sawing the costume, so expect some pictures next week!
    Thanks for looking!
    Bye!!!
    Last edited by LukaFilm; Mar 26, 2015 at 8:04 PM.
    Mar 26, 2015, 7:00 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #375

Looking very spiffy that vest and those badges When using expanding foam and to somewhat control the expansion, you can always spray water on top of it (have a spray water bottle in your hand, while another friend spray the foam)