Help, what glue for blue foam?

kwalsh0000

Sr Member
Hey all,

I have gotten some blue insulation foam to test out to make a base for some horns. Ive tried to carve them but to no joy so decided to use a different method.

I have cut out numerous discs to use as a 'spine' which are glued together at different angles and will be covered in clay but ive used super glue, generic all purpose glue (the sticky gooey kind) and PVA (i know it only works for small areas) to no avail.

Has anyone any ideas on what might work?

For blue insulation foam I use a 100% solvent free contact cement. On the "how to use it" instructions sheet, you use the glue like a normal contact cement: 1 coat on each surface, let it dry and put it together. Prob with these solvent free glue is that they dry very sloooowly. So, I use a hairdryer to accelerate the process and it takes virtually 2 minutes before I can put the pieces together (not 30/40 minutes like indicated on the instruction sheet).

Good luck:)

Construction adhesive like Liquid Nails worked for me in the past. Slow dry time as well. I'd give it 24 hours or so.

I'm not sure if the blue insulation over there is the same as here, but what I do is melt some of the foam in acetone, leave it somewhere warm until you're left with a sticky goo, this glue is awesome and can be used as wood glue too :)

Since you're going to be coating it with something anyway, why not just tack it all together with low temp hot glue?

I don't know if you can get it where you are, but E-6000 is just about the most versatile adhesive I've found.

E-6000 is a excellent all purpose glue, problem being is the glue melts the foams I've used so I'd test it on the foam first.

There are a few options. Green glue is a contact adhesive that you can roll on to both surface and attach when it gets tacky, 3M has a product called Foam Fast 74 that works really well when light coats are sprayed on both surfaces and if you don't care about putting in a little work, Gorilla Glue works in a pinch.

Blue foam is expanded poly styrene if im not mistaken. I would go for something like a low expansion polyurethane glue. Depending on where you are, it may go by different names but the most common is gorilla glue. A trick to make it set faster is to wet the two surfaces of what you want to join with a damp rag.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back