The Lost Room key

Jintosh

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Chris_key.jpg

This is a "The Lost Room" project that I did several years ago. (before 3D printers came along)
This picture is of one of the prop keys from the Miniseries that is owned by one of the writers for the Lost Room. My goal was to come up with a prop reproduction of the key.

I started this project by reproducing the key tag. I had some help with the font and logo and uploaded the image to a company to reproduce the tag. I searched the net and the closest I found was the exact tag, but they only printed in gold not yellow. I went with the gold.

The key was more difficult. The top portion is a vintage 1950's - 1960's Niessen Brothers 612A key. They are not in business anymore. I was able to obtain a Niessen 611R key.

qlr5.jpg
The 611 key had the right top, but the wrong grooves. I blocked out the grooves and had it reproduced in metal. I stamped it with the "612A" and cut new grooves in the key. I then got the bottom half of the key which turned out to be a modern Schlage key. I cut the notches in the Schlage key and attached it to the Niessen key. I then had it cast in metal to finish the reproduction.
ha2m.jpgooem.jpg

In the original picture, they've clearly painted the key since the back even has a two tone appearance. I have not duplicated the gray color or the weathering on the key tag.

I need to find someone to cast inexpensive copies for me. <hint hint> If someone knows a reliable caster...

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back