Captain America - The Winter Soldier - TFA Costume - Friday Premiere Pics Page 3!!!

Psicorp7

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
With the Winter Soldier movie fast approaching I thought I would put together a costume for the opening weekend. I really liked the look of the TFA (Smithsonian?)suit that has been seen in the trailers. So I thought I would give it a go! Plus this would give me a costume I could see out of and put on myself, unlike my Iron Man armor. That would be great for going to quick events and hospital visits.

So I was looking around and ran across a partial suit for sale by a member here and jumped on it to begin my suit. It is a modified "Slim Fit" jacket with some resin buckles, boots, 3D star and a few other bits. It will never be super-accurate but it will let me get the suit done for the opening and give me practice before sewing one from scratch.

IMG_0440.JPG

The sleeves have been cut off and the zipper sewn shut and the bottom trimmed off the jacket. I found a shirt with a similar ribbed texture and I will mod this with blue sleeves to blend in with the jacket. I also added some red suspenders to start the stripes on the abs. I will add some "pleather" stripes in the center and the sides. I also found some pants that match the "pleather" on the jacket pretty well.

IMG_0442.JPGIMG_0439.JPG

Oddly, there is only one star on one sleeve. I use the term star loosely. :lol

IMG_0443.JPGIMG_0441.JPG

That will have to go!!!

I will be using a Disguise Cap shield and fiberglassing the back to make it rigid and then add the brackets and straps. The goal is be keep the whole build under the cost of a finished aluminum shield. We will see. I am sure my next suit will be more expensive and more accurate but this will get me something for the opening! Only two months to go but I think I can get it together by then!

Last edited:
Re: Captain America - The Winter Soldier - TFA Costume

I've been waiting to see someone modify a TFA suit for this. Definitely watching this thread, good luck!

Tiny update. I made a pattern out of foamies for the boot topper. I made the pattern based on a set of vintage boot toppers that had been cut off by someone else. Unfortunately, the vintage set was too small for my calf so I had to add several inches. I will cut these out of leather and dye to match my boots.

IMG_0456.JPG

I did a little work on the undersuit arms to add the blue sleeve part in the new TFA suit. I still need to cut off the incorrect arm straps and find a way to attach the shoulder pads to the undershirt. More to come!

IMG_0462.JPGIMG_0460.JPG

I removed the "star" and replaced it with an embroidered one on a vinyl patch. Now there is one on each sleeve!

IMG_0464.JPG
IMG_0463.JPG

Also, stripey goodness!

IMG_0465.JPG

Thanks guys! I know it will never been screen accurate but it should be a fun hybrid suit! Plus, I am learning a ton about Cap costumes so the next onw should be better.

Small update. I made the back straps and attached them to the jacket and the center buckle. I will finish the bottom after I have the belt done and can tweek the placement/height of the belt attachment.

IMG_0466.JPG

I also did some work on the pants. I still have the hip pads and the knee pads to go. More to come!

IMG_0467.JPG

I was able to get one of the "hip pads" on the side of the pants done. Five layer of fabric to sew through to get those on! Glad I have the heavy duty needles!

IMG_0468.JPG

All right! Both hip-pads are done and sewn on and one of the knee-pads. One more to go!

IMG_0469.JPG

I also did some work on the jacket to replace the rings on the front of the chest to a more correct shape. I changed the suspender buckles to the rectangular style that is closer to the movie look. I also fixed the suspenders in place with chicago screws.

IMG_0470.JPG

What I am missing the metal end tabs for the 2" wide suspenders. Any thoughts out there in the vast knowledge base of the RPF!?!?! If you know, post it up!

strapworks.com sells them - they are a little wider from top to bottom than the screen ones and are silver but nothing some gold paint or antique brass rub & buff can't take care of.

strapworks.com sells them - they are a little wider from top to bottom than the screen ones and are silver but nothing some gold paint or antique brass rub & buff can't take care of.

Thanks! That is the only 2" tab I have seen. Plus at that price I can live with it being a little thicker than the screen accurate one. Good find!

I did some work on the belt recently. I made the template out of foamies first. I find that leather and foam curve about the same and since they have about the same thickness it works out pretty well for patterns. I ran the entire belt under the resin buckle since it would not take the stress due to being, well, resin! Everything will be held with Chicago Screws to allow me to upgrade the belt as I go.

IMG_0471.JPG

Happy with the template I cut the pieces out of a 3" leather belt blank. I was able to get all pieces out of one 54" blank.

IMG_0474.JPG

On to dye! I only have one coat on now and I think it will be about right with a second coat. You can see in the pictures I am currently cheating on the pouches with French MAS pouches until I can sit down and make a pattern for the new style of pouches.

IMG_0485.JPG

I took advantage of the snowy day here and finished the last knee pad on the pants. That means they are done! They still need to be weathered but that will happen when the whole suit is done.

IMG_0487.JPG

I also was able to get the gauntlets cut and sewn and attached to the gloves. I had already done one coat of dye to the gloves but will be doing a second coat and a first on the cuffs at the same time. That should work out about right. I will also add a cinch buckle to the wrist and the buckle at the top of the cuff after everything is dyed. Next onto the belt assembly and then the helmet!

IMG_0489.JPG

Suit looking good...I am glad you are finishing this costume.... :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back