Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Raphael (Thoughts, suggestions, criticism welcomed)

Egon Spengler

Master Member
I plan to make a Raphael costume based on the one from the original 1990 film. My costume won't be exactly the same, proportion wise because I'm 6'3" and the actual actor, Josh Pais, is 5'7. I've thought of just making the new Michael Bay version of Raphael, but 1. I'm not sure I like how he looks just yet and 2. The movie might be a huge stinker. Still wondering about that choice though.

I know a lot of people start topics for costume builds and never finish them, but this is one project I intend to see through to the end. This is my official build thread and having it gives me a place to show my progress and keep me motivated as well.

I do not have a lot of experience with sculpting, mold making, etc. but I feel I'm talented enough that I can do this project.

I've found a place locally, thank goodness, that sells molding supplies, as well as a place that sells WED clay.

I'm leaning toward getting WED clay because it seems as if most mask makers use it and I've read that it's cheaper and a bit easier to work with than Oil based clays, but my main concern is that this project is going to take me a long time and I don't want the clay sculpts to crack and dry out. Should I just go with oil based clay? Which is easier to mold?

I've found a bunch of screenshots from the entire film online that I will use for reference and I am looking for promotional photos as well. If anyone could point out some good online sources for that it would be very much appreciated!

Awesome to see another fan of the TURTLES! I would recommend going with an oil clay if the project is going to be a long one. I used oil clays and have used the same clay for 2 years now.

I LOVE your costumes!!!

Thanks! I think I will go with Oil Based, even though it might be more pricey. Why buy cheaper priced clay only to waste money if it goes bad.

Last edited:
I've found a bunch of screenshots from the entire film online that I will use for reference and I am looking for promotional photos as well. If anyone could point out some good online sources for that it would be very much appreciated!

Fan Made Gallery - «Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles»...
This would be a good place to start. Click on the images and then on the new window click again for the hi-res version. Strangely the site is currently not working for me, it was working 30 mins ago, maybe it's a temporary glitch. It has dozens of photos from the movie and from during its production. I am guessing this could be the same site you found already.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Costume Restoration : The Original Prop Blog - Jason DeBord's TV and Movie Prop Memorabilia Resource
Not Raph, but still good reference material for the suit in general.

12292517335_1399cb8804_o.jpg

12293076216_ba54045e21_o.jpg

Click to enlarge the pics below.

Original Continuity Polaroids original prod. material from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990)

(Click to enlarge)

I've actually been debating a TMNT build myself and thinking of how I would do it. I haven't quite figured out the head yet, but was thinking if borrowing the ideas I've seen for Predator builds to make the suit (Mr. Incredible suit and latex) for the body with a foam build for the shell. Just a thought. There are some great tutorials for it out there.

I just need to figure out how much oil based clay to purchase and build a mount to sculpt the head on. Really looking forward to this. I think I might actually sculpt and mold the head first to get a feel for the whole process, then move on from there.

I also need to figure out what I'm going to cast it in. Dragonskin is amazing but it's extremely high priced! Is there anything between it and latex? The film suits looked amazing and they were just foam latex right?

Would using just plain liquid latex in a mold work?

Last edited:
Ive made mine and used wed clay. Latex is probably the best thing to use as it is the cheapest route. The real ones were foam latex, expensive and had to be repaired constantly. Take your time and im sure it will come out awesome!!! I am waiting for the new movie stills so I can start on the new design, Raph of course!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    975.5 KB · Views: 826
Tmntdb: Just plain liquid latex or was it some mask latex? I've been told there is a difference. I'm assuming you used latex?

I'm thinking of doing the new film version too, but I'm not sure I like it yet. I absolutely love the original though. You did a great job! I LOVE the face!!

Looking at production photos of the new turtles movie the height of the new turtles is about 6 foot 10 inches tall. That bothers me more than the designs.

I would recommend just buying a mannequin head to sculpt over. That way you save on clay.

I am in the process of building a turtle as well.

The molding is an issue I have run into. The last creature I made was cast in smooth-on dragon skin silicon. The mold was made out of smooth-on rebound silicon. I love using smooth-on's silicon molds because they have a great stretching strength. I can just glove mold my sculpt without a wall, and not worry about seams.

Dragon skin is a lot of money, and painting silicon is a pain. So I want to cast in liquid latex instead. I know that stone molds are best for liquid latex because the moisture is pulled out of the latex into the stone forming a skin on the stone that is great for a mask. I have no experience with stone and really don't want to use it. I always run a resin plastic master of my sculpts before running final cast. If I run the mold in stone I will have to dig the clay out of the stone mold and not have a plastic master of my sculpt.

Can liquid latex be cast in a rebound silicon mold?

Glad to see all the turtle fans on here! I, too, am in the process of making a Ninja Turtle costume. I'm currently working on Leo. He was always my favorite as a kid and I think he has the best weapons. Love the dual swords.

I had been waiting to see the production versions for the new movie before I went full out in building my costume. After seeing them I think I am going my own direction with the looks of the turtles. It's not that I don't like the new one's...but they are pretty big (which is harder to move in), I don't care for the face all that much (I like the traditional beak and not the nose/nostril look), and I think they are over-adorned (too much clothing, etc). Just a lot going on with those costumes.

I'm going for my own version of the turtles. I really like the turtles from the early 90's movies but I also really dig the most "pissed off" look that they have in the early comics. I'm slimming Leo down and making his head smaller as I won't need to be putting a ton of servos and electronics in it. I'm changing up the shell/chest and making them a little more mature. Trying to add more ninja into the TMNT. Also, my biggest gripe with the 90's costume is that the eye holes are the 2 little slits under the eyes. I really want to have some decent eyesight with this costume (which'll make it more fun to wear) so I'm changing the shape of the head so that my eyes align with the turtle eyes. The costume eyeballs themselves are going to be all white (like the comics) which will add to the pissed off ninja look.

Looks like there will be a bunch of turtles this year. I have been gathering materials to make a Raph also. I LOVE Leo's new look, but Raph has been my fave since the turtles started so I am going with him. I am sticking to the 2014 movie version and plan to use latex because that is really all I know. Hopefully I can find everybody's build threads and compare how we are all doing things. I plan to take my time, but want to have the suit done in time for DragonCon.

Seen this fan film/trailer:

Maybe contact them for tips on how they made their costume.

Either way, good luck. I'm a Turtles fan from years past. Will be interesting to see what you come up with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'm stuck here at home due to snow, but have no clay to begin sculpting with, because I haven't been able to go get any because of the snow.

So far I've heard of WED clay, Oil Based clay, and Chavant NSP. Still trying to decide on which to use.

I'm using oil based clay for mine. it's expensive but it's nice to be able to walk away from the project for a while and the piece not dry out and crack.

Regardless of which clay you are using just work on sculpting at first. I once had an instructor tell me.. Sculpt the piece and get it 95% done....then tear it down and start all over. Your second sculpt will always be better than your first as you figure out the techniques you like and the way you want the piece to look. Good luck, looking forward to seeing some updates.

Thanks!

For the affordability factor, I'm going to go with WED clay. I'm thinking about 30lbs should be enough for just the turtle head? Or do you think I might need more?

30 lbs should do it. If you look at it and don't think it'll be enough uou can always bulk up your mannequin head with some cardboard/rigid foam before you start sculpting if you want to save yourself some clay.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back