Captain America Shield Suggestion (For all you shield makers)

AgentOfShield

First off I'm just stating that I don't have any of the time/money/skills/materials to make anything like this, but for those who make those gorgeous spun aluminium shields, would it be possible for you to make a resin cast of one of your shields? That way we could get relatively affordable Cap shields that don't cost ~$1000 :p

I don't know how feasible this is, but it's just a suggestion. Also if someone manages to make a version with an embedded star (one that doesn't sit on top) they could cast that and then people would be able to get accurate shields without all the extra time that it takes to make one out of aluminium...

I am surprised no one has done this too. I have an aluminum shield, but would like a fiberglass one too. Mainly because it would be lighter and easier to carry.

I'm sure that's how the prop masters for the Marvel movies make their stunt versions anyway so it shouldn't be impossible to do. Plus eFX is taking their sweet time in making theirs that they announced years ago so this could be a nice alternative!

It wouldn't cost significantly less than a spun aluminum shield would. You can get a blank from a fab shop for around $250. If you paint and do the brackets yourself, you can have a finished shield for less than $400. That is most likely less than a fiberglass shield would cost. The mold alone would cost more than that.

You can get a blank from a fab shop for around $250.
This interests me, since metalwork is not really my "thing." What would I say to a shop to see if they were capable of doing such a job? What's involved with it? Etc?

I want a shield, but just don't even know where to start when it comes to asking a shop to make one up for me.

-Nick

The easiest, most affordable route is to ask a shop that has already done it. They already have the tooling setup, so you don't incur those costs. The shop most use is AMS in Miami. (Accurate Metal Spinning)

I used AMS as well. They were great to deal with, and even provided a part to use for the star (though I didn't use it).

The mold would need to be quite large for one of these shields.

Aren't there plastic Airsoft shields that can be used instead of metal for the cheaper route?

Thought I would jump in. Interesting idea, and great topic. But I concur that the cost of producing a resin shield would not be trivial. A mold that big will soak up materials. I think you would need to lay fiberglass for rigidity. ... Unless someone does a significant run, I suspect these would be in the hundreds of dollars as well. AND, in the end you have a blank shield ... which is what you get with a metal blank. You still need to finish, paint, straps, etc.

Dunno, I think there might be a reason no one's done it.

Plus ... I will tell you .... there is NOTHING like holding a spun aluminum shield.:) With great handles ... which I can help with ;)

Valor.

You always end up wanting a better shield :lol

Yeah, you know me well. Chris Evans could give me his shield and I'd still want better! :facepalm

And I do remember seeing someone made a fiberglass shield with the intent to cast it. But, seem to remember the individual was in Europe or South America so there would be a huge shipping cost.

Besides metal which dents verses fiberglass for casting bubbles then cracks and shatters if hit too hard.

Yep, what Valor said... I had been in talks with a few different folks about making a mold of one of the shields, I actually even made a thicker shield specifically for molding, but the costs to mold was so high, they backed out because it wasn't worth it. Plus... Marvel is shutting down shield threads left and right, even ones with blank aluminum shields that have no reference to any marvel property... makes no sense. So the guys doing the mold work don't want any trouble from Marvel, and nor do I, and nor does the RPF forum in general.

actually fiberglass ends up being heavier because the shield needs to be thicker to be sturdy (unless you want a floppy shield). But the weight differences are almost negligible.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back