Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Vancouver, WA
    Feb 1, 2014, 7:20 PM - TOS Colonial Warrior Viper Helmet #1

I was sitting in my cube.. somewhat bored, when I got to thinking about my next Partial Pepakura build.. I say partial because at the moment I only have the time to build and fiberglass what I'm making. Which means I'll have a Massive amount of Bondo work coming my way soon. And I decided to make a Cylon Centurion lid.. so merrily I started to assemble it and while accidentally super gluing my finger to the desk It struck me that the perfect counter part for this would be a Colonial Warrior Viper Pilot Helmet.

Off I rushed to the googlewebs to find what I was after. Could I find one Could I heck. I searched almost everywhere.. being tormented by images of files long gone, or photos of pre made helmets but nothing.. Not even a decent 3d model to use as a base. So, I decided to have a go at fully 3d modelling one myself. Now I warn you viewer that I am no 3d modeller. and I have just managed to get to the grips with the basics of Blender (and I mean the basics). But here it is in all its glory. Its not 100% finished I still need to model the crest on the front

Im not going for 100% accuracy and some detailing can be done after its put together. What I'm aiming for is passable accuracy, But I've been putting this together for a few days now (about 5-6 hours total) and I could be missing something some glaring details. If anyone can see any glaring mistakes then please let me know.
  2. Member Since
    Dec 2007
    From
    London, England
    Feb 2, 2014, 4:10 AM - Re: TOS Colonial Warrior Viper Helmet #2

looks good to me,i had a file i found on the web a few years ago,never made it .

https://plus.google.com/photos/10079...257?banner=pwa
    From
    Seattle, WA
    Feb 2, 2014, 2:13 PM - Re: TOS Colonial Warrior Viper Helmet #3

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3D%20Viper%20helmet[1].jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	281504

Would love to build this TOS helmet. I just can't abide the $500.00 efx version - no offense to them, it looks wonderful- it's just the fun is in the building...

I found the above scan as a reference but I have not tried the paper file madmax listed above either....

Maybe someone from ByYourCommand.net can chime in about who has attempted these helmets.

EDIT: forgot to say your model is looking great...and we need the help of GoldCylon1 and Reaper
    Last edited by tictoc; Feb 2, 2014 at 3:26 PM.
    From
    Seattle, WA
    Feb 3, 2014, 8:21 PM - Re: TOS Colonial Warrior Viper Helmet #4

just fyi....that board has banned rpf member : Avianoguitarist ...aka…hermesblackstar…aka Spectre so beware of him.
    From
    Vancouver, WA
    Feb 7, 2014, 1:14 AM - Re: TOS Colonial Warrior Viper Helmet #5

Thanx for the Info tictoc, The images you show are the images I've used as the base for model. I'll head on over to byyourcommand (I've been lurking there for a while getting information for this build) and make a post. The more info I can get the better this will be.

And I agree $500 is a tad steep for a lid. but then If you cant find one then its a sellers market. I have yet to decide if I will release the files for free or for a fee. more than likely the former over the latter (as with my Tie Pilot Lid). I'll make that call once I have finished it and unfolded it.

And thanks for the link Madmax. That was the file that got me thinking that there should be a pep for this lid. Personally and I stress personally I cant stand PDF building. I like to so what i'm building in 3d before i start and during the build.

If this goes ok then I might try and whip up a colonial blaster or something from Blakes7. (man that's showing my age).
    From
    Vancouver, WA
    Feb 15, 2014, 11:22 PM - TOS Colonial Warrior Viper Helmet #6

Small update:

Now All I need to do is model the Crest.
    Feb 16, 2014, 9:25 PM - Re: TOS Colonial Warrior Viper Helmet #7

Very cool! Looking good. The only other Viper helmet I've seen has waaaaay fewer polygons. I was periodically tempted to make it, but it would take loads of bondo to make it look like the real helmet. And FYI, Revell-Fan or Rhaven Black at Zealot made a really nice TOS laser... but I'm having trouble finding the thread or the download section. Zealot seems to have updated their site lately and I'm having trouble finding things. You probably still have to be a member with __ many posts to be able to download things. Revell-Fan or Rhaven Black also made some other sweet pepakura blasters: V, Buck Rogers, Cylon lasers..... Battlestar Galactica and Buck Rogers Props | Zealot shows off some of Revell-Fan's work.
    Last edited by OB10; Feb 16, 2014 at 9:40 PM.
    From
    Vancouver, WA
    Feb 24, 2014, 3:48 PM - Re: TOS Colonial Warrior Viper Helmet #8

UPDATE:

Here it is ready for unfold. Please cast your eyes over it and let me know if you see any Glaring issues. Once again Im not going for Studio Accurate but I am going for Passable. I expect to do the Accuracy work in the Bondo Phase (should I get there)

From
    Seattle, WA
    Feb 24, 2014, 11:57 PM - Re: TOS Colonial Warrior Viper Helmet #9

Looks great! Nicely done!
  10. Member Since
    Dec 2007
    From
    London, England
    Feb 26, 2014, 12:02 PM - Re: TOS Colonial Warrior Viper Helmet #10

Looks sweet,pity i suck at pep cos i'd love one.Do a Blakes 7 liberator blaster or the scorpio blaster, or the com braclets,or a liberator,or,,or,or .....sorry Blakes 7 gets me excited,i am also showing my age
    From
    Vancouver, WA
    Feb 28, 2014, 8:01 PM - Re: TOS Colonial Warrior Viper Helmet #11

Oddly Enough Madmax I was looking into either the Blakes Seven blasters or a federation soldier helmet..

Anywho Update time: the unfold proceeds somewhat slowly. but its commin.
    From
    Vancouver, WA
    Mar 14, 2014, 11:03 PM - Re: TOS Colonial Warrior Viper Helmet #12

Quick Update. The Unfold of the Helmet has been delayed even more due to various real life issues, anywho all that is out of the way and Im back on the unfold again.
  13. Member Since
    Dec 2007
    From
    London, England
    Mar 15, 2014, 5:28 AM - Re: TOS Colonial Warrior Viper Helmet #13

cool if you release this i may give it a try .I'm getting a cameo silloette soon so that should help
  14. Member Since
    Feb 2012
    Mar 17, 2014, 7:46 PM - Re: TOS Colonial Warrior Viper Helmet #14

I just got a old school viper pilot helmet and was wanting to know if anyone can help with the color paint used for the main color?
    Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  15. Member Since
    Jun 2012
    From
    Plato, Missouri, United States
    Apr 20, 2014, 2:00 PM - Re: TOS Colonial Warrior Viper Helmet #15

is this file ready for download?
    Apr 20, 2014, 9:24 PM - Re: TOS Colonial Warrior Viper Helmet #16

Very nice work. I cant wait to see this one finished. Will it be available to the public for download?
    From
    Vancouver, WA
    Apr 21, 2014, 3:51 PM - Re: TOS Colonial Warrior Viper Helmet #17

Hi Folks.

Sorry for the delay. Its been a case of Reality strikes im afraid.

In answer to your question(s) Yes it will be available for download the hang up is I have to unfold it first.

And now I'm back to a state of normality that is happening real soon.
    From
    Vancouver, WA
    May 2, 2014, 11:50 PM - Re: TOS Colonial Warrior Viper Helmet #18

Here it is Folks.

< Link removed. for any files message me here with an email address i'll get it to you>

Unfolded and Unlocked. Feel free to scale away, Build Away, Let me know how it goes. I look forward to seeing any builds.

Have Fun
    Last edited by xaosbringer; Jan 11, 2017 at 5:26 PM.
  19. Member Since
    Dec 2007
    From
    London, England
    May 3, 2014, 4:59 AM - Re: TOS Colonial Warrior Viper Helmet #19

Cheers man downloaded ,now i just have to find the time
  20. Member Since
    Nov 2012
    From
    anywhere USA
    May 14, 2014, 11:44 AM - Re: TOS Colonial Warrior Viper Helmet #20

Hello What software do I need to view and print this file please
    From
    Vancouver, WA
    May 15, 2014, 11:43 PM - Re: TOS Colonial Warrior Viper Helmet #21

chazzychaz said: View Post
    Hello What software do I need to view and print this file please
    To View and print you will need Pepakura Viewer from Tamasoft. To View Print and Scale you will need Pepakura Designer from Tamasoft. The first is Free. the second you have to pay for.
    Jan 11, 2015, 7:06 PM - Re: TOS Colonial Warrior Viper Helmet #22

love the build . iv been looking for one of these for a long time. iv canceled all other projects just for this. quick question are you going to do any other battlestar crests such as the Pegasus Atlanta or Triton? if you intend these helmets to be trophies for Cylons it would make scene to have them get trophies from the guys they actually beat.
    thanks for a grate build i cant wait to get started on this one.
    Jan 24, 2015, 7:23 PM - Re: TOS Colonial Warrior Viper Helmet #23

does anybody know what the measurements are in MM to scale this ?
    Feb 22, 2015, 6:18 PM - Re: TOS Colonial Warrior Viper Helmet #24

just finished this build. reduced the size by 10%. looks pretty close. there are some minor unfolding mistakes in the mouth guard area but easily fixed with some flap adjustment . but over all i really enjoyed building this one .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image02222015145550.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	166.6 KB 
ID:	442130Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BSG pharo.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	174.0 KB 
ID:	442129
    From
    Guildford
    Nov 13, 2016, 3:44 PM - Re: TOS Colonial Warrior Viper Helmet #25

Just tried this pep and it was huge. Got half way through and it was sagging everywhere and barely resembled your image so I stopped. Not sure what I did wrong but definitely didn't look like to one Jaran Kast did.