TOS Colonial Warrior Viper Helmet

love the build . iv been looking for one of these for a long time. iv canceled all other projects just for this. quick question are you going to do any other battlestar crests such as the Pegasus Atlanta or Triton? if you intend these helmets to be trophies for Cylons it would make scene to have them get trophies from the guys they actually beat.
thanks for a grate build i cant wait to get started on this one.

just finished this build. reduced the size by 10%. looks pretty close. there are some minor unfolding mistakes in the mouth guard area but easily fixed with some flap adjustment . but over all i really enjoyed building this one . Image02222015145550.jpgBSG pharo.jpg

Just tried this pep and it was huge. Got half way through and it was sagging everywhere and barely resembled your image so I stopped. Not sure what I did wrong but definitely didn't look like to one Jaran Kast did.

@ Jaran: Wow.. That looks great. Sorry I didn't reply Reality has kept me real busy.. I do intend to redo it. It was one of the first things I have ever modeled and Know I know an awful lot more. Regarding the crests Who knows !

- - - Updated - - -
@Tildane : Were you using Card stock or Paper ? back when I made it I put it together using 110lb card stock and It has only just started to show signs of Sagging. I built it well over a year ago now and its been sat in my garage just gathering dust.

You probably already know this but the upper lip on the chin surround should be made in a separate piece. Preferable something translucent as it lights up.

Other thoughts as we worked on one at Icons. The horizontal lines on both sides of the front were just off the shelf plastruct....dont remember the size. Other observation was the two earpieces and main emblem (eagle or horse) were separate. So in all, you have the base helmet, lighted jaw bar, two earpieces and the emblem.

Cool fun project.

I've been wanting to make one of these since the 70's and now my kid is really bugging me for a Colonial Warrior helmet, so I downloaded this file and although overall it looks great I must admit it's got a few glitches. There should be a little more of an underside brim around the upper light bar. There are polygon defects around the 3 front recessed details and also at the bottom concave curve on the sides (I'm quite nit-picky about misbehaving polygons). The top and bottom light bars should be separate objects so they can be pepped separately as vacuum-forming molds and attached as clear parts to extended plain faces on the helmet. The unfold and parts arrangement isn't very optimal and wastes a lot of paper. Thank you so much for getting 90% of the work done for me on a much better shaped Pepakura helmet than anything else I've found online. I'm going to a port the model over to my CAD software and clean up the glitches, separate the light bars, extend the faces where clear light bar parts would attach, and redo the unfold optimized for Silhouette Cameo and "flapless" pepping for a smoother surface with less finishing work. Gonna make one for myself as a mentor while my kid makes his. I won't upload the modified file but could share it with you if you like. With your permission I'll post a photo after we get them pepped (could be a couple months before they're done - I'm supposed to be working on Halo armor.... :wacko)

Edit: After bringing the model into my CAD software the polygon glitches aren't there, so they must just be in the .pdo file (something went screwy when creating the Pepakura file). Strangely I'm seeing 4 missing faces on the helmet's back (easy enough to fill in). The crest looks like it's too flat? It seems like it should stick out from the helmet more?

Last edited:
chappaai Its all good :) This was, if I remember right, My first attempt at 3d modelling. so there are bound to be flaws. The Driving force behind me making is was that I wanted it in Pep form so I decided to get out there learn new skills and make it. Feel free to edit away. If you can improve on this then by all means do So, Id sure be interested in your edit. (mail it to xaosbringer@hotmail,com) I do plan on revisiting it once I have completed my current project (40k Eldar Weaponry not posted yet). but that could take Months to complete. Regarding the crest. I couldn't find a decent source image for it so I eyeballed it the best I could so its gonna be pretty inaccurate. G'luk in making it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I've found a lot of the surfaces to be "warped" and uneven so I've decided to remodel most of it using splines. I haven't decided yet whether I'll make a .stl file for 3D printing this, or dumb it down afterwards for making a .pdo file, or both. Even if I make a .pdo version, I think I'll still make a .stl for the light bars. 3D printing them hollow with translucent PLA will be much easier than pepping them, smoothing them, and then vacuum forming. I'll send you the results when I get the edits finished.

Hi Folks.

I just removed the 4shared link. Im not 100% happy with the way they have started to do things but then that's their choice. Anyone wants the file I will gladly email them it. Until I find somewhere else to upload it. then Ill link it here.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back