Struss / Reel Images V2 Vest..my tweaks

Not wanting to Hijack Arts awesome thread about the vest I thought I'd post my own to show what can be achieved with a little bit of time and imagination.

In my humble opinioin it's a pretty damn good bit of kit out of the box and Kudos to Kurt for managing it.
The leathers I have no issue with at all..the jacket fits me kinda wierdly but I don't intend on wearing it out other than under the vest where it works perfectly.

So the vest...
Tvayumat has kinda covered most of the strapping issues in his thread - http://www.therpf.com/f71/judge-lex-178225/ so I won't go over them again here, at least until I do my own strapping replacements (I have a V2 he has a V1 different issues)

My main work these past few days has been on the shoulder armour..particularly the iconic eagle pad.

So I started off as per..masking off the eagle and getting the Goldfinger Soveriegn Gold paste worked on good and proper, I wanted to take the approach of brand new rookie judge shoulder then batter it and weather it afterwards so it kinda layers up...

I then took a soft, regular sketching pencil and used it to darken down/lowlight the edges...which was moderately successful...but still didn't look quite right

So the next idea was the silliest...Whilst wandering the house and pondering..like I do..I picked up my wife's make up pencil and it looked nice and waxy...soft and interesting so into the mix it went.

I used it to simulate the wear...and darker/dirtier parts...

The added bonus of the make up pencil is that you can smudge it in softening the transition between dirt and gold...

It still didn't look right to my eyes..still too plasticy and the shots I have of costumes and movie stills the eagle seems to be less textured in places and more metallic/solid looking so I took a gamble on the Goldfinger and started to layer it on thickly in some parts.

The process was then set...layer on Gold, leave to dry then weather with the make-up pencils, layer on..weather...til finally I was happy with the look...

with a dusting of fullers...

I've also managed to solve the flattened look of the eagle shoulder by gently but firmly rolling/curving the both parts and holding them for a while...they seem to take the shape quite easily.

I've also used the make up pencils on the other shoulder...here's'a very quick pictorial tutorial :D

For those that may be concerned about my marriage I have replaced the hijacked make up items with brand new ones...:cool

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back