SpaceBalls action figures

Gigatron

Sr Member
Hey gang,

I've been watching SpaceBalls on my palm pilot on the way to work the last couple of days and I got to thinking; with all the sculptors here (especially with the guys doing the sweet jobs on the holo-chess pieces), these should be a no-brainer. the figures in the movie were static, so resin would be a great way to go.

So how about it, sculptors? Any of you guys up to taking on the challenge of the action figures as seen in the movie?

-Fred

These are in Planet Hollywood, NiagaraFalls, Canada

SBfigs.jpg

Steven

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nick daring @ Feb 12 2007, 08:55 AM) [snapback]1417265[/snapback]</div>
Your helmet is so big.

I forget where these pics came from, so apologies to the owner.

Nick
[/b]

HA. Busted. Playing with your dolls again.

Up close, they look like they were made in that play-doh contraption that came out in the late 70's that allowed you to make clay figures. It was a clamshell mold for Luke, Leia, Han, Chewy, Obi-Wan, Vader and the droids. You mushed play-doh into both halves of the clam shell then squeezed them together. If you were lucky, you could get the figures out in one piece.

If you do a search on ebay, somebody has a few of the molds for sale. I believe there were more available than what the seller has. I may pick them up for use with some air dry clay just to relive some of my younger days...

Anyway, I bet the artisans on this board could make better looking ones in the same style of the originals. Since you never see them up close, who can argue as to how good ours should look. I'd definitely be all over a set of well done figures.

-Fred

Aw, pics are gone. :( Anyone have more closeups? Height reference? I know a set went through Propstore.com (cuz I tried to find the info from there.).

Looking at the play-doh set, Gigatron, I'm don't think that was it - those figures are mainly posed with there arms in or on the body.

I've been looking at bendy figures, and I think that might be a better bet. The Justtoys Star Wars Bend 'Ems look pretty close - Luke seems to have Lone Stars hairstyle. But... they came out in the '90s, and Spaceballs late '80s.
Now, maye they got access to some prototypes, or something?

BTW, IMDB has trivia that George Lucas allowed Brooks to make the film(.) on condition that there was no real-world merchandise sold.
Kinda sucks, George. Remember where your money came from? :)

Anyhow - There were bendies before Justoys came along - Mego had the 'Bend'N'Flex' line of superheroes, etc (Justoys sorta picked up the torch with their Marvel line - still too late for the Spaceballs figures.).
The hand position and shoulder shape just call out bendy toy to me.

I might have to give these a try. :)

C.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nick daring @ Feb 12 2007, 08:55 AM) [snapback]1417265[/snapback]</div>
Your helmet is so big.

Pics were requested to be taken down by the owner.

Nick
[/b]

Glad people are willing to share... :confused

No height reference for the figures? Does 5" seem right?
If I can speed up the process with what I have planned, it may be possible to make figures that were not seen in the movie quite easily, and in the same style.
Spaceball trooper? An in-scale Yogurt?

I just ordered the special edition DVD for reference pics. Tho any figure pics would be a help. ;)

C.

My guess was in the 5-6" range.

All the dvd caps I had weren't very helpful in getting any details. All they provided were a relative size to rick morranis' hands, which I think may be on the small side to begin with.

I'd love to see somebody come up with a set of these, plus any extra characters they wanted to do.

-Fred

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darthravenger @ Feb 21 2007, 06:48 AM) [snapback]1423370[/snapback]</div>
Anybody ever make a cast for these?
[/b]

Not trying to throw salt in the wound here guys, but my good friend has the original set of molds used to cast the screenused figures. He has a painted up set on his shelf... Ill see if he will take some pics for me to post. I would like to have a set of figures in my collection as well...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocBrown88 @ Feb 22 2007, 04:33 PM) [snapback]1424299[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darthravenger @ Feb 21 2007, 06:48 AM) [snapback]1423370[/snapback]
Anybody ever make a cast for these?
[/b]

Not trying to throw salt in the wound here guys, but my good friend has the original set of molds used to cast the screenused figures. He has a painted up set on his shelf... Ill see if he will take some pics for me to post. I would like to have a set of figures in my collection as well...
[/b][/quote]

To heck with the pictures, see if he wants to make some money by making casts :love

-Fred

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back