Are Eaglemoss Batmobiles too "cheaply made"?

Rodann

Sr Member
Hi guys. I posted this over at BOTB, and was wondering if my expectations were too high.......

I've been collecting Batmobiles since around 1994- starting with the cars I had since childhood (a near mint Corgi jr w/boat and 1:43 Corgi), and the figure cars from Kenner's then FOUR consecutive toy lines....

I've tried to stay away from Eaglemoss, because it's a bottomless pit.
laugh.gif
Too many and too expensive when all is said and done. But I'm suddenly obsessed. Now I HAVE to have them.
laugh.gif
I WAS getting a couple at a time at conventions for $20 a piece. I refused to pay more than that on ebay.

Lately, I've been buying more online, finding deals here and there. A recent purchase of five cars netted my first disappointment. The "The Batmman" car. It arrived with the bag torn, and clear case cracked.

But what's even more disappointing, is that the car came apart in a way that surprised me. Now, I had assumed that these cars were, in fact, "die cast", and by definition, were like any other die cast cars- metal bodies, rolling wheels, etc. These are obviously not that. They are more like glued-together statues. I didn't expect that, so it's a bit disappointing. I still intend to collect them, but after seeing guys complaining on their Facebook page about the "cheap plasticky appearance" of the newer cars, I thought this showed that they really ARE just that. Cheap and plasticky. Anyone else feel these should have been more like the Corgis, and not like the DC Direct statues?

Someone said their 1966 and 1989 Batmobiles' tires were stiff to turn. So they DID turn?? And now they don't? So they've aborted the "die cast car" and gone for the fully glued-together statue? Or did I just get one that somebody messed up?

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    598.2 KB · Views: 209
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    595.3 KB · Views: 226
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    480.4 KB · Views: 189
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    505.1 KB · Views: 194
  • 028.JPG
    028.JPG
    400.6 KB · Views: 210
  • 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    429.2 KB · Views: 186
Just got another broken one on ebay........idiot didn't even bother to pack it well. He ILLEGALLY sent it "Media mail"! "Free shipping" my butt. No packing, no sturdy box (It's crushed from both sides!!), NO "FRAGILE" marked anywhere. MORON. His refund policy says he keeps $5 restocking fee. My butt he does........

I didn't bother to open it, to cover my you-know-what. I can hear it rattling around in there in SEVERAL pieces. !!!

The Forever car. Why do these things fold like a deck of cards???

Have you tried checking the local comic book shops in your area (if any). There are two in my area and they both carry these cars. I also got "The Batman" car and its left side was loose like yours. I was able to push it back in place. They are made pretty cheaply, but I had to get this one because I really like this version of the Batmobile and could never find a copy of it. This will be the only one I get.

They already sent me a replacement "The Batman" car!:lol No need to send the broken one, too. Good deal. Maybe I can fix it up and sell it or display it differently......

I don't go to the local comic shop. Local politician's son runs it for him. Kid's an addict whackjob, and Mister politics is a bit bipolar..........:lol I tried to make a deal with the kid one day, and he was going off on a rant about how he hates his dad and he won't pay for his methadone........then I met the dad for the same deal, and he acted like hitmen were after him.

NO Batmobile is worth having to go thru that.:lol:lol { maybe a full scale one :D } Maybe you could try and open up the canopy and install an interior with the broken one? Don't know if its even possible, might be a solid chunck of plastic.

I'm trying to decide whether to open it up and see how it actually IS made.........or just list it on ebay "as is". :lol

I feel your pain, i've had a few sellers who barely do any effort in packing stuff. I have on now who is 4 days behind in shipping and i got a bad feeling about his packing job if he does ship.

Ugh. It's getting worse. What is wrong with people? Nobody understands shipping anymore. Or they just don't care. How many Batmobiles and sonic screwdrivers have I just bought off ebay.....that have just shipped stuff in a crushed envelope or un-padded box.....and I have flat out REFUSED to leave them feedback?

Even ThinkGeek........ they ALL just throw it in a box! Two of my Doctor Who ornaments -out of 8 they shoved in a box- were broken (but repairable). And that was after spending $800 with them!

BTW, DO NOT buy from Mattelshop.com or ToysRus.com.......They throw a toy in a box, one that's too big and lets the item bang around in there......and NO bubble wrap or foam peanuts.

I'm certain ebay will refund my money if he (they?) doesn't, but I'm worried my tracking number isn't really a tracking number. After I specifically asked the clerk (Debbie- an old friend of my mom's when she worked there) if it had tracking. I've plugged the number in twice now, and it says it can't be tracked via the website. .........Somebody's gonna nitpick.

Amazon is hit or miss on packaging too. Hasbrotoyshop tends to be really good with it. I'm about to file against this ebay seller if i don't get my crap weds, he had it for 4 days and ships out of his store yet didn't. stuff i paid for friday is arriving tomorrow. That message about it not being able to be tracked may mean it hasn't even been scanned by the post office yet too.

Yeah, this is what I get:

Tracking Number: 420064739352189936000088451887 [h=2]error[/h]

• Delivery status information is not available for your item via this web site.
  • A return receipt after mailing may be available through your local Post Office.

Problem is, it was already delivered to ME. Out of the system. She scanned the same bar code for a return, but I don't think it will re-track it.

Oh well. We'll see........

Typical usps mess up. I just got 8 packages over the last 2 days and only 4 of them were well packed. Some folks had them in normal manilla envelopes, these are video games we're talking so you know how fragile they can be. It's horrifying what sellers do. Hopefully the package doesn't give you too much more trouble.

The package mess is done with. I escalated it today with ebay, writing a carefully worded paragraph, including that I'd be willing to provide pics of the return receipt and package with matching "tracking" number. Since I was worried that it wasn't reverse tracking the same re-scanned media mail label#. I received a full refund within a couple hours.

I'm still going to collect these cars, but only from BigBadToyStore. They are awesome. Better prices, and they replaced their damaged Batmobile for FREE.

Yeah, BBTS is definitely the way to go. I've had several dealings with them on a bunch of stuff, and they've always been top-notch!

I agree, i've never had an issue with BBTS for transformers or anything else. Only issue i had that was tiny was they got a preorder figure from japan 3 months after amazon had gotten it due to their supplier messing up. I have a preorder with them right now actually.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back