D.C.'s The Flash (tv series)

This keeps up, there's gonna be like fifty Barrys in the house at the same time.

Barry 1: "You don't understand! I need to save mom!"
Barry 2: "You can't! It will destroy the world!"
Barry 3: "I just feel bad because I kissed Iris. It's like kissing my sister!"
Barry 4: "Dude, get over it. You know she's the one."
Barry 5: "Listen things got so screwed up that now I've got to kill our mom!"
Barry 6: "What the hell, man? You can't just up and kill our mom like that!"
Barry 7: "Don't mind me, I'm just grabbing our favorite toy from when we were a kid. Figure this thing could be worth a small fortune."
Barry 8: "I'm just grabbing that book Mom used to read to us."
Barry 9: "So you're telling me that there's multiple Earths? Awesome!"
Barry 10: "Dude. Supergirl is so hot..."
Barry 11: "Who the hell's Supergirl?"
Barry 12: "Oh cool! We actually have our favorite drink in the fridge! They discontinued this stuff in 2007!"
Barry 13: "Dude! Gimme!"
Barry 14: "Yoink!" *grabs the drinks and runs out*
Barry 15: "He's getting away! Catch him!"
*all Flashes run out*

Thawne: "Finally."
Nora: "I know, right? He was getting annoying."
Thawne: "You have NO idea." *stabs Nora*

you should write for lego or robot chicken ;o)

@Madprofessor if you look at Ross's work he painted him with the helmet at a tilt. He also wore in like that in the comics depending on who the artist was. So there is a history of wearing it like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Madprofessor if you look at Ross's work he painted him with the helmet at a tilt. He also wore in like that in the comics depending on who the artist was. So there is a history of wearing it like that.

Oh, I'm aware. It's just that having been in the military, someone putting their cover on wrong irks the crap out of me.

I'm still confused how a past time remnant doesn't erase barry from the past if he dies.

The time remnant is the speedster who actually travels back a few seconds. The speedster who lives never time traveled, hence why it's a paradox. This works well from a consent standpoint because the time remnant knows he's going to die before he ever travels back to create himself.

The only complaint I have about the Real Jay Garrick putting on the suit was when he put on the helmet just before taking Harry and Jessie back to Earth 2. I can't get past how it was sitting all cockeyed on his head.[/QUOTE said:
May have been a nod to this Alex Ross painting:
4247387-jay_garrick.jpg

I have a feeling the #4 Flash will be from season 4 after Barry finds out the consequences of saving Nora.

I like how the episode seemed to reference several major stories from the comics. The Flash dying running around a machine built to destroy the multiverse (Crisis), Zoom turning into what looked like the Black Flash, and Barry saving his mother (Flashpoint).

I'll spoil it! Just in spoiler tags. So, you know, don't click it if you haven't watched the finale. :)

The Flash, Season 3: The Flashpoint Paradox!

This feels a little like a cop out considering how close they got to doing exactly this in season 1. Like they figured out the end of season 2, and realized that they had no good ideas on where to leave it to set up season 3. Now, please don't take that as me saying The Flashpoint Paradox is a bad story arc; on the contrary, it is wonderful. But to have had the writers actively avoid it once, only to do it now, reads like they ran out of ideas. Plus, unless they massively change the future after Barry saves his mother, it can't last more than a couple episodes. At which point we'll be back to "business as usual." I wish the ending involved Wally discovering he has speed powers, instead. At this point, that is inevitable, and would have set a hopeful tone for season 3, instead of leaving us knowing that Barry just selfishly messed things up. Again.

But enough about that! I loved the season finale. I thought that was a very clever way to dispatch Zoom, without outright killing him. I have a feeling we'll be seeing him again. I also LOVE that Jay Garrick is the same actor as Barry's Father. I very much hope that, at some point in season 3, we reunite with Jay and discover that Jesse (Quick) has discovered powers of her own and has been training under Jay.

All in all, I am glad with the way season 2 wrapped up, but their setup for season 3 is, in my opinion, lazy. Stretching that into a whole season is going to take some serious work...

I think two mostly excellent seasons and with far reaching storylines throughout several shows which will next season all be on the same network, you really need to give these showrunners more credit chief!

They almost certainly have a long term plan drawn up - you dont throw Flashpoint into the mix on a whim! Definitely not lazy writing in my mind. Bold writing - they are willing to mess around with their own continuity in a self aware way. That takes some serious balls with a fanbase as rabid as the comic book crowd.

I think two mostly excellent seasons and with far reaching storylines throughout several shows which will next season all be on the same network, you really need to give these showrunners more credit chief!

They almost certainly have a long term plan drawn up - you dont throw Flashpoint into the mix on a whim! Definitely not lazy writing in my mind. Bold writing - they are willing to mess around with their own continuity in a self aware way. That takes some serious balls with a fanbase as rabid as the comic book crowd.

Touche`. You are definitely correct. I guess I was/am frustrated. We already saw Barry learn not to screw with the timeline, and that no matter how much he may have wanted it, saving his mother would have screwed a LOT up. Now, to watch him go back and do it anyway in a fit of grief just makes for a predictable follow-up: we know he will eventually have to say, "Sigh, I was wrong. I was upset, and shouldn't have done something so rash in that state." As an audience who is now familiar with this television universe and how changing the past affects the future, we know this! So whenever that "realization" happens, we will not be sitting there having learned an important lesson with our hero (such as when we watched him come to terms with his Mom's death only 2 episodes ago). Instead, we'll be sitting there thinking, "Yeah, no **** Sherlock! Don't do anything that stupid again; you know better."

In short, I have faith that the team behind the show will make something great, I am just annoyed with a portion of that greatness that is already predictable. Also, I would be lying if I said I was not a bit nervous that The Flash could take the same path as Arrow: A great first 2 seasons, and then the third season leaves us wondering what they were thinking.

So if we are doing the Flashpoint and since Batman doesn't live in this universe, will that make Oliver Queen's dad the new but not so effective Arrow? I have no clue how close they intend to follow the book but if Barry has all the memories of being the Flash but no powers he is going to have to get them back somehow. I mean I hope it follows the book a little bit. I really don't want to see him convince Wells to blow up the particle accelerator again.

didn't thawne tell wells that he created the particle aaccelorator, just too late and too slow for his needs?

maybe the accident still happens this time around. all reboot retellings are at least a little different.

And yeah, doing what barry did made it seem like he didn't learn a thing. and is extremely useless as a 'learning hero'.

if they had such a grand plan, they shouldn't have teased it in season 1. it would have worked so much better without that.

Touche`. You are definitely correct. I guess I was/am frustrated. We already saw Barry learn not to screw with the timeline, and that no matter how much he may have wanted it, saving his mother would have screwed a LOT up. Now, to watch him go back and do it anyway in a fit of grief just makes for a predictable follow-up: we know he will eventually have to say, "Sigh, I was wrong. I was upset, and shouldn't have done something so rash in that state." As an audience who is now familiar with this television universe and how changing the past affects the future, we know this! So whenever that "realization" happens, we will not be sitting there having learned an important lesson with our hero (such as when we watched him come to terms with his Mom's death only 2 episodes ago). Instead, we'll be sitting there thinking, "Yeah, no **** Sherlock! Don't do anything that stupid again; you know better."

In short, I have faith that the team behind the show will make something great, I am just annoyed with a portion of that greatness that is already predictable. Also, I would be lying if I said I was not a bit nervous that The Flash could take the same path as Arrow: A great first 2 seasons, and then the third season leaves us wondering what they were thinking.

You also have points chief, I wasn't saying they can do no wrong. And I think we have to expect a certain amount of degradation, for exactly the reason you stated - Arrow season 3 and some of 4 has been pretty rubbish. There are still some good moments, and I still watch it. But I arent invested as heavily as in the Flash. But Flash has bad moments too - some of that is masked by the charming nature of the show though.

However - Arrow could also have been a victim of the fact that the showrunners literally concentrated on the Flash/Legends. Once your focus is split, Arrow took the brunt of it unfortunately. Introducing magic and alsorts of whacky hijinks is guaranteed to upset the reason that made Arrow great in the first place, it's grounded nature.

So if we are doing the Flashpoint and since Batman doesn't live in this universe, will that make Oliver Queen's dad the new but not so effective Arrow? I have no clue how close they intend to follow the book but if Barry has all the memories of being the Flash but no powers he is going to have to get them back somehow. I mean I hope it follows the book a little bit. I really don't want to see him convince Wells to blow up the particle accelerator again.

Absolutely know this wont happen, but I would absolutely lose my **** if they crossed over to Gotham (Earth 4 perhaps), specifically to deliver the letter.

There surely shouldn't be any problem using a character in Flash that simply resembles (or allude to) a Bat figure, ensure we all know it ISNT Bruce Wayne, and then deliver that letter to young Bruce. Could be a touching scene.

However, you've almost certainly called it. Oliver will die on the boat, his Dad will survive the island. His Dad will be an even more brutal green arrow, zero hope etc. Barry will have to convince him to help him get his powers back - he'll hopefully try to use the lightning/chemicals but with no particle accelerator? And if fails. And he is damaged and hurt but keeps going and tries again etc. I always thought that beautifully captured Barry's spirit - when an alternate timeline Batman is like "******, this guy is insane" you know you're on to something.

didn't thawne tell wells that he created the particle aaccelorator, just too late and too slow for his needs?

maybe the accident still happens this time around. all reboot retellings are at least a little different.

And yeah, doing what barry did made it seem like he didn't learn a thing. and is extremely useless as a 'learning hero'.

if they had such a grand plan, they shouldn't have teased it in season 1. it would have worked so much better without that.

I'm 50/50 on it.

I dont think he will be changing the shows continuity - they will alter it slightly, but they won't change it. After 7/8 episodes (about the time of the huge cross over in Dec) there will be a return to a status quo, however there will be ramifications and results of course.

I think the whole point of this decision is that our heroes are human, and they go out every day and choose to protect us - not that they an infallible. He just lost his father, a person he has worked since childhood, for years, and years, and years to free from prison for a crime he didnt commit. He has just come to terms with his mothers death, and truly let her go, and moved on. And then boom. Both parents dead. Both parents dying is the entire reason we have a Batman at all, so I can totally understand why Barry, even at this stage in his life of learning, would break his own rules. Don't forget in this scenario, to Barry, he thinks he will save both parents with this one act.

I think its great that we get to explore so many variations of a shows mythos really.

But we should have a little faith - I dont think they will throw away all the lessons he's learnt - he'll return to a similar form of timeline eventually, though there might be slight differences (such as Hartley Rathaway being an ally now etc)

After really putting some thought into the finale and rewatching it I have to say that I am now a little dissapointed. I don't know if it's the fact that we kinda knew that Jay was in the Iron mask and that most likely it was going to be his dad. Then to add in the whole Flashpoint story after just 2 episodes ago he met the Speedforce and was like the universe is on my side. I don't know it's like that episode didn't need to happen or they really didn't think it out when they decided to do Flashpoint. I'm conflicted a bit here.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back