Ghost in the Shell

Aside from being white I don't think that ScarJo is all that bad of a casting choice, from what I remember seeing in the various animes Kusanagi isn't exactly the most emotional of people and if there's one thing that ScarJo excels at that is playing the unemotional type. All you have to do is look at all of her roles from her first outing as Black Widow on and you'll see that she's beginning to make a career, if not a name, for herself by playing these unemotional type of characters, I'd even go as far as to say that she's pretty much type cast as the unemotional, woman of action now a days.

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaa I'm going to have to disagree. I'm not exactly an expert when it comes to GITS but I've watched enough to know that it is A LOT more than just an action series. The higher level of dialogue in conjunction with it's complex world-building alone is something I can tell you for a fact that any live action film will completely gloss over with over the top-action and less-than thought provoking story telling. The fact that they're going with Johansson as the main character, someone who's not even Asian, says enough as it is, and how the rest of the film will be.

This film is already doomed. This will be essentially what Michael Bay did to transformers and TMNT.

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaa I'm going to have to disagree. I'm not exactly an expert when it comes to GITS but I've watched enough to know that it is A LOT more than just an action series. The higher level of dialogue in conjunction with it's complex world-building alone is something I can tell you for a fact that any live action film will completely gloss over with over the top-action and less-than thought provoking story telling. The fact that they're going with Johansson as the main character, someone who's not even Asian, says enough as it is, and how the rest of the film will be.

This film is already doomed. This will be essentially what Michael Bay did to transformers and TMNT.

I'm not saying that casting ScarJo is perfect casting or that this movie will be good, though I remain optimistic until I hear more details, but wrong ethnicity aside she's not exactly a bad choice because, in my opinions, she's become something of the THE straight faced action heroine of the 2010s.

Disappointed-Terrible-Awful-OMG-Embarassed-Embarassing-WTF-GIF.gif

:lol
Only a little. I knew there was at least one sequel, but never heard anything good about it so I never looked at it again. No idea what's out now.

:lol
Only a little. I knew there was at least one sequel, but never heard anything good about it so I never looked at it again. No idea what's out now.

Well, there was the anime series GitS: Stand Alone Complex that had a couple of seasons, as well as several video games as well (with one recent FPS announced). Of course, that's all I know about the franchise.

I do enjoy the prequel Pain series. But the other Major or military officer has her boobs exposed and it makes me wonder how she is such a high ranking- nevermind

remember the great anime eone flux? and the TOTALLY awesome live action movie they made?? I will stick to the G.I.T.S movies/anime until I read a nonstop 3 page thread about how F[k]ing awesome it was and broke all box office records. and THEN I will wait for the U.R. box set and rub myself down with peanut butter covered bullets and cowboy boots filled with vasoline, sniffing spent shell casings and floating in the ocean on airbags and drinking beer. even tho I cant get drunk it will make me feel ...more.... human.

Arise was trying to cramp a prequel into the SAC universe, which of course didn't work… I like the idea to take a new fresh perspective on it, but treating as an own independant universe.

First Ghost In The shell: Arise and now this, doesn't Shirow have any control over the franchise anymore?

Oh contraire monsieur! You're knowledge is pretty solid :thumbsup
But I like the Transformers quadrology, merely because of Peter Cullen and Frank Welker. The execution and realisation could be debated on end, I like the approach of the car parts shifting into the limbs, made more sense and looked alien too. But I felt tired of the formula too, when sitting the last 15 minutes of TF4.

I had to laugh out loud! Man, it's like making C-movies with A-Stars on purpose to see, if anyone eats that poop…
Next thing you know, they're making a live action Appleseed with Megan Fox as Deunan and Tom Cruise as Briareos

Yeah… but like you said, it wasn't that well done, Major came in the last third of the movie to help Batou, which was with Togusa the main protagonist. It's a thin story, with no real villain to root for.
There was more GitS after the first movie?

I support the casting of Scarlett Johansson.

The character in the anime (not the manga) looks white. Her body type and stature are all western.

I don't know of many Japanese actresses (not that I'm an authority) that have the same physical frame, stature or athleticism. If you know of one please let me know - because in my (limited) experience I haven't seen it.

I think Johannson would be ideal for the part, actually.

Last edited:
This thing is going to tank just like Aeon Flux did. It might make money as a generic action movie but it's going to get very little support from fans of the anime and manga.

If it sucks it will be less due to the whitewashing and more to the problems with translating anime into live action. Japanese fans don't seem to be as outraged as Western fans about the casting. They're more skeptical about it being live action.
James Cameron should do Battle Angel: Alita instead of his Avatar movies. Neil Blomkamp could do an anime live action if the script is good.

I'm a big anime fan and this backlash is funny and stupid as the honest damn truth is.....almost no one looks Japanese in anime,NO ONE,half the time they bring out a new anime and trot the characters out more often then not if you didn't hear their names you'd swear the characters were based on Caucasians.

Motoko Kusanagi never looked Japanese to me,never looked white either more mixed race Japanese/white plus these people have artificial bodies so they can be anything including gender and you saw some actual gender swapping in GITS.

So all I worry about is if this is going to be done right,all you have to do is follow Blade Runner a bit and you'd do well with this GITS is one of the animes I think would do well as a live action film,more so then Alita actually.

Don't get me started on Evangelion,I've NEVER thought that should be live action it would be beyond stupid,trust me.

*ETA*

What...the...hell happened with the type face? :confused

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back