Ghost in the Shell

Re: Upcoming Ghost in the Shell Live-Action movie

I believe that a sucessful IP can be translated into a live-action version without sacreficing the core elements that IS GitS. GitS is not just a a cyberpunk themed scifi, it's the eastern view on soul, being human and the transcendance, line-blurring evolution between man and machine explored by the protagonists that prevents this new kind of cybercrime, and that's Section 9, consisting of the Major, Batou, Togusa, Aramaki, Ishikawa, Saito, Paz and Borma. They are asking the questions to the viewer and the viewer should decide for themselfs or think about it. That's the strength of GitS.

Re: Upcoming Ghost in the Shell Live-Action movie

Sigh, women make up half of the world's population. Surely there can be a kickass female lead who ISN'T ScarJo. Nothing against her, but there are other actresses out there...

Yeah, I do wonder why Scarlett Johansson is taking on so many genre projects. I guess the paycheck is larger than on an arthouse movie. But it really does stand out that she´s such a busy bee in the Sci-Fi corner.

I think i'll be passing on this, it's going to be a train wreck. I'd rather see the budget go to a japanese production company to make it in japan with hollywood's resources or better yet use it to give us more Stand Alone Complex. This is going to be Aeon Flux all over again. Milla Jovavich would have made a better Motoko than Scarlett.

Wow even entertainment reporters on yahoo and sites are calling this a bad casting choice. This movie's already got less faith in it than the new Fantasic Four.

Duude… this is a serious question: and you call yourself animefan?

The favor of choice is like giving ammo for Hollywood to twist and turn every possible anime and manga property into an americanized, whitewashed crap beyond recognition slapping the name-label on the product and shoving it down our throat, while assuring us with a fake smile: "Your gonna love this #*$! And if not, shut up and give us your money anyway…", which Hollywood is already doing for years with some awesome movies they created themselves (I look at you TASM!!!! And I still want my money back!).

For once, I wish that at least one good material is treated with respect and just tweaked in minor things. I wish that "The Legend of Korra", should it be done on the silver screen, as announced, will have a close knit casting and design I recognize.

I think shes a great choice!

I think...the script will be the deciding factor. And storyboarding. And location. And storyline.

Not an actress who has the ability to bring some emotionless depth to the film. Seriously, she was very emotionless in Under the Skin, up until it called for her to be emotional. Which Kusanagi never really was unless she was angry.

However, if they deviate to far from the characters behaviors and look as well as the overall world that has been built, it will be a killing blow for anime purists. But they aren't after anime purists money. General public y'all!

**** poor choice and I'm getting real sick of her as an actress. She isn't really that good in anything that comes to mind. There are many better choices they could go with, but they just want a name attached to the film. I'm passing on this one. Way to go Hollywood, once again you done goofed up. ****, I'm shock Johnny depp isn't on board yet to help torpedo it.

I think...the script will be the deciding factor. And storyboarding. And location. And storyline.

Not an actress who has the ability to bring some emotionless depth to the film. Seriously, she was very emotionless in Under the Skin, up until it called for her to be emotional. Which Kusanagi never really was unless she was angry.

However, if they deviate to far from the characters behaviors and look as well as the overall world that has been built, it will be a killing blow for anime purists. But they aren't after anime purists money. General public y'all!

Man, if anyone expects this woman:

BN-BY925_mag041_OZ_20140318165119.jpg

to play someone named "Kusanagi," well...think again.

Her name will be, like, "Carpenter" or something generic, and the film will take place in L.A., not Japan.

I will reserve judgement until trailers, pictures, etc, start showing up. I'm not holding my breath considering these adaptations bring to mind movies like Last Airbender, Dragonball Evolution and the poor casting decisions that were made with those films.

With that mind, Motoko is Japanese in mind only and not body being that she is a cyborg. That's a way out explaining why she's not a certain ethnicity. Or they go with the Motoko Aramaki version who's a red head. And we know how Scarlet looks like as one of those.

Aside from being white I don't think that ScarJo is all that bad of a casting choice, from what I remember seeing in the various animes Kusanagi isn't exactly the most emotional of people and if there's one thing that ScarJo excels at that is playing the unemotional type. All you have to do is look at all of her roles from her first outing as Black Widow on and you'll see that she's beginning to make a career, if not a name, for herself by playing these unemotional type of characters, I'd even go as far as to say that she's pretty much type cast as the unemotional, woman of action now a days.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back