Things you're tired of seeing in movies

Not so much IN the movies, but about the movie-making process: I am sick and tired of hearing the "napkin" story; that is, how this wonderful, best-idea-ever all started out being drawn on a cocktail napkin.

Really...?

Even of late, I read in Popular Science how JJ Abrams' first ideas for BB8 were "drawn on a napkin"...

Get real...

Not so much IN the movies, but about the movie-making process: I am sick and tired of hearing the "napkin" story; that is, how this wonderful, best-idea-ever all started out being drawn on a cocktail napkin.

Really...?

Even of late, I read in Popular Science how JJ Abrams' first ideas for BB8 were "drawn on a napkin"...

Get real...
I work in theatre and we draw a significant amount of "first" ideas on napkins, envelopes and scraps of wood.

It's because those ideas always pop up organically when we're never prepared.

We never have paper around in the prop shop. But that's always when someone needs their answer NOW.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Here's something I have seen WAY too much of. Guy gets shot in the stomach and immediate blood pours out of his mouth. Don't matter where he's injured! Always spits up blood... and not just a little, a whole mouthful! So sick of that!

Movies that give themselves vague, self-important titles.

The Greatest Story Ever Told
The Greatest Game Ever Played
The Finest Hours

Guess I've got nothing left to look forward to.

Now that's something I haven't seen before! :) Carrie was so young and innocent back then! Had that whole Mary-ann thing going on was very hot!

To each his own, I guess... she always came across as very cold and unfriendly to me, to put it in nice terms (in lieu of a different word), then and now.

any of those pompous self righteous biopics that have a schmoozy oscar bait type trailer and heroic music and hammy actors that think they are somewhat special and that others are beneath them.
This.

The only thing less creative than reboots are biopics

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

How about the way kids in movies actually call their Father "Father". Does anybody do that? I've never known anyone who does that. If I'm talking to someone else about him, I might refer to him as "my Father", but not to his face. I'm 50 years old and I still call mine "Daddy".

At the risk of sounding sexist, how about the ubiquitous, token female reporter in NFL games hired to report on injuries and interview players down on the sidelines? Literally every single one of these reporters used by every single network is a dolled up hot female, usually blonde. I like girls as much as the next football fan, but I don't want to be made to feel like I should be turned on when hearing about player injuries and player interviews after a win. Is there really a question as to why these ladies are hired for this? This doesn't have to do with movies, but still, I'm tired of it.

At the risk of sounding sexist, how about the ubiquitous, token female reporter in NFL games hired to report on injuries and interview players down on the sidelines? Literally every single one of these reporters used by every single network is a dolled up hot female, usually blonde. I like girls as much as the next football fan, but I don't want to be made to feel like I should be turned on when hearing about player injuries and player interviews after a win. Is there really a question as to why these ladies are hired for this? This doesn't have to do with movies, but still, I'm tired of it.

I think it may have something to do with the fact that women tend to thought of as a more nurturing and empathetic influence. I'm sure if a guy did the same job his comments would be more like "Oh, he just got head butted in the groin... I'm sure he'll just walk it off!" But that's just my opinion.

I think it may have something to do with the fact that women tend to thought of as a more nurturing and empathetic influence. I'm sure if a guy did the same job his comments would be more like "Oh, he just got head butted in the groin... I'm sure he'll just walk it off!" But that's just my opinion.

Doubtful. In that case they would have the marketable look someone's mom not someone's hot mistress.

Last edited:

That's possible, but I think it probably has more to do with showing that they are being progressive by hiring women to be part of their sports broadcast team while at the same time not giving them a more serious role on the team. Basically, they hire them to do the sports equivalent of the human interest segments (or storm watches) on the nightly news, fluff pieces, for the most part, that allow the starting journalist to get their feet in the door and pay their dues before they get promoted to covering more important/serious stories. Since having women in sports broadcasting is still a relatively new thing all we're seeing them do are the field/court side and locker room interviews, give it another 10 - 20 and we'll see just how serious the networks are about having women handling sports news and game broadcasts by whether or not we start seeing these same women moving up into the broadcast booths doing commentary and the like.

ESPN and it's many numbered channels already have some female hosts/co-hosts on many of their programs so I don't think we'll have to wait that long before they may be in the broadcasting booths. I think the celebrity of coach/former player names is the main draw to it....and that's if you care who does the broadcasting. But a "name's a name". More people will be drawn to an ex coach or quarterback who led x team to y number of championships or Superbowls than anyone who didn't. But, there was a woman who called an NFL game this year...I can't remember which game but I remember reading about it so it is already happening.

I was watching Raiders the other day and not so much a "sick of seeing" thing as an "I wonder" thing is if and where Indy carries spare ammo? Since he's an experienced adventurer, I figure he carries spare ammo and not just the 6 rounds in his S&W. So just loose rounds in his bag or a box of cartridges(what I'd imagine). In ToD, it looks like he's looking for ammo when he hands Willie his gun before she drops it out the window, and I'm sure it is quite difficult to reload on a horse ala LC, so it was easier just to reholster it. But when they get to the temple of the Grail he has it out again before being captured so I'm sure he reloaded before they went in there.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back