Things you're tired of seeing in movies

"Why are we stopping?"
"Let's get outta here!"
"I kinda thought you'd say that."
"We can do business."
"You should get that (wound, cough etc.) looked at."

Something I noticed while watching Alien Vs. Predator Requiem the other night; the heroine Soldier returns home to her family, and the daughter spots something in her bag. "Is that for me?"

Sure it is. It's a set of military grade NOD's, which easily cost over $40,000 and are considered "Sensitive Items" by the Army. You sign for that stuff. There's a record of the item and the serial number. You try to walk off with those things and CID will arrest your ass faster than Rosie O'Donnell on a Krispy Kreme donut.

But this happens in movies all the time, someone gives someone else (or at a minimum has possession of) an item that they have no business having to begin with. But no one gives it a second thought :rolleyes

Someone being followed, "We've got company!"
GAWD, if I had a penny for each time was said in a movie...

Eh, I think that's just a phrase in popular culture. It's not unique to movies. You could be sitting on the couch, watching TV, about to get amorous with your wife, when your toddler starts wandering into the room and say "Oh, hang on. We've got company."

Now, if you mean using, say, common parlance in a military situation when you'd expect the personnel to use whatever comms procedure exist, yeah, that I can see being kind of annoying, especially if you KNOW what the comms procedure is and the line is used purely to sound "cool."

So, instead of saying "Two Bandits at 3 o'clock low!" the hotshot rookie pilot says "Heads up! We've got company!" or "Looks like someone decided to crash our tea party!" or whatever, yeah, that'd be kind of annoying. But I think we've kinda covered that virtually every film that depicts military personnel screws it up in favor of the "cool" factor.

On the subject of comms, though, I find it mildly annoying that "Bogey" has -- in film, at least -- apparently become the code for "enemy craft" rather than "Bandit." I don't know the first time this happened, but my earliest recollection of this is in Top Gun. It's been a while since I saw the film, but it struck me that if they're IDing them as "Mig-28s" and engaging them, "Bandit" is more appropriate. Which reminds me -- I'm tired of seeing films where known, real-world enemy materiel is actually something else that's been dressed up. I can give it a pass in some films depicting much older wars where any surplus (let alone working surplus) is hard to come by, but come on, man, you can't put a big muzzle break on a Sherman 75mm and call it a "Tiger" just because you play menacing music when it shows up. I haven't seen THAT level of bad design, but it's been close in some cases (e.g. Top Gun where the "Mig-28" is literally just a black-painted F-5).

Something I noticed while watching Alien Vs. Predator Requiem the other night; the heroine Soldier returns home to her family, and the daughter spots something in her bag. "Is that for me?"

Sure it is. It's a set of military grade NOD's, which easily cost over $40,000 and are considered "Sensitive Items" by the Army. You sign for that stuff. There's a record of the item and the serial number. You try to walk off with those things and CID will arrest your ass faster than Rosie O'Donnell on a Krispy Kreme donut.

But this happens in movies all the time, someone gives someone else (or at a minimum has possession of) an item that they have no business having to begin with. But no one gives it a second thought :rolleyes

Tons of gear goes missing/falls off of the truck in reality. I am talking expensive stuff, especially while on deployment. Weapons and comm gear are the only exception.

On the subject of comms, though, I find it mildly annoying that "Bogey" has -- in film, at least -- apparently become the code for "enemy craft" rather than "Bandit." I don't know the first time this happened, but my earliest recollection of this is in Top Gun. It's been a while since I saw the film, but it struck me that if they're IDing them as "Mig-28s" and engaging them, "Bandit" is more appropriate.
Ever see the film, "By the Dawn's early light," about a potential WW3? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/By_Dawn's_Early_Light At one point, Powers Boothe says something like, "Bogies Hell, them's Bandits!" as the radar intercept officer calls off what should obviously be some incoming MIGs. Even though the movie has some comically implausible moments, you can tell they at least tried.

Ever see the film, "By the Dawn's early light," about a potential WW3? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/By_Dawn's_Early_Light At one point, Powers Boothe says something like, "Bogies Hell, them's Bandits!" as the radar intercept officer calls off what should obviously be some incoming MIGs. Even though the movie has some comically implausible moments, you can tell they at least tried.

I vaguely remember that one, I think. Dunno that I saw it all the way through. I appreciate when people at least try. I don't expect them to get everything, but some stuff just strikes me as laziness or "We did this because everyone else does this." It's particularly irritating when you've seen any kind of "making of" info where they talk about how "authentic" they tried to be.

I appreciate when people at least try. I don't expect them to get everything, but some stuff just strikes me as laziness or "We did this because everyone else does this."
I agree, as would most people reading this thread, I'd assume.
I like to just look at the backgrounds of movies where you can marvel at all the work that went into making it. Even when the movie has a horrible script. For example, "Red Tails" was a TERRIBLE movie, script-wise, but it's the most accurate movie ever made for all the uniforms, field equipment and flight gear that was used. I just wish they'd had a script that wasn't a cheesy late-40s popcorn movie script to start with.
"Fury" really raised the bar on realism for all the 'stuff' used by the props, background and costumes. But the script was a little, "Meh," to me. I hate to even say that as a pal of mine worked on the movie as an advisor.

Which reminds me -- I'm tired of seeing films where known, real-world enemy materiel is actually something else that's been dressed up. I can give it a pass in some films depicting much older wars where any surplus (let alone working surplus) is hard to come by, but come on, man, you can't put a big muzzle break on a Sherman 75mm and call it a "Tiger" just because you play menacing music when it shows up. I haven't seen THAT level of bad design, but it's been close in some cases (e.g. Top Gun where the "Mig-28" is literally just a black-painted F-5).

But it worked in Top Gun as there is no such thing as a MiG-28, never was and what also helps is that for some reason all MiG built aircraft use odd numbers in their designation, there are no even numbered MiGs, Sukhois yes, MiGs no. Oh, and btw, it's muzzle brake as in it acts a brake, it doesn't break anything.

But it worked in Top Gun as there is no such thing as a MiG-28, never was and what also helps is that for some reason all MiG built aircraft use odd numbers in their designation, there are no even numbered MiGs, Sukhois yes, MiGs no.

Yeah, I know, and I know that in a film about air combat, you're kinda limited in what you can use (unless you're using models), so real MiGs couldn't be used. But if you know your aircraft, you know that's an F-5 Tiger. The Tiger had a very distinct look to it. I mean, I suppose all aircraft do, ultimately, so -- again -- you're limited, but it just...I dunno...seemed kinda lazy to me. Like, they couldn't even dress up a Mirage-III and call it a "MiG-22" or something, since, at least as a delta-wing craft, it bears a passing resemblance to the -21, and is of roughly the same era as the F-5. I guess if they wanted to work with the Navy to do actual shooting using current aircraft, they had to work with what was available, but even as a kid it looked weird to me.

Oh, and btw, it's muzzle brake as in it acts a brake, it doesn't break anything.

D'oh! I actually know that, just typed it too quickly. :$

Sequel-itis. Everything is a trilogy, even things that make no sense to be more than one movie.

Script stupidity. There are tons of scripts out there that rely on either the hero or the villain to be complete and total idiots in order to work. When I look at a movie and have to yell at the screen, "why did you do that? That's STUPID!", it makes me want to turn it off.

Shaky cam. It gets used way too much, even in totally inappropriate circumstances.

Dark for the sake of dark. Movies are too dark these days, not because they have to be, but because writers don't know the difference between flawed characters and completely broken characters.

Tons of gear goes missing/falls off of the truck in reality. I am talking expensive stuff, especially while on deployment. Weapons and comm gear are the only exception.

This. Although I think her coming home with those NOD's is probably the most plausible part of that film.

While we're on the subject of AvP:R, one of my biggest gripes is the soldier who knows how to do EVERYTHING well. Drive a Striker? Check, Fly a helicopter like you were a pilot? Check....No, no, no NO!

Two kids get into a fight, three or four other kids rush in, pull the guys apart and end the fight. NEVER going to happen in 'kid world'. A kid might jump in to help his friend or maybe even to stop a bully but that is about it. 99.999999% of the time, kids do not stop fights.

While we're on the subject of AvP:R, one of my biggest gripes is the soldier who knows how to do EVERYTHING well. Drive a Striker? Check, Fly a helicopter like you were a pilot? Check....No, no, no NO!
Yeah, I served alongside Rangers and Special Forces on active duty and was looking to try out for SF about the time I decided to instead seek life as a civilian, and not even any of those guys had more than one truly 'high speed' skill. I had a guy in my own unit who was a TOW missile guy and also a part time airline captain, but that's a very unusual situation.
Two kids get into a fight, three or four other kids rush in, pull the guys apart and end the fight. NEVER going to happen in 'kid world'. A kid might jump in to help his friend or maybe even to stop a bully but that is about it. 99.999999% of the time, kids do not stop fights.
Absolutely. Kids are always depicted in movies as tiny adults. What people seem to forget is the tribla nature of children. They actually meet the definition of sociopaths for the most part in that they have no regard for other people at all and are mostly all about themsevles. That's the one thing about South Park I always thought was funny in that they did show the selfish nature of kids, but in a truly over-the-top way...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back