Things you're tired of seeing in movies

[/LIST]
When you're in a unit, any unit, you feel like you can trust your own and you usually view people in other units with a skeptical eye. reservists really get a lot of this from the active duty folks...
And it's not even specific to the military. Everyone does it.

Try mingling around the UC Berkeley campus in uniform. Not everyone's going to greet you with open arms and, often, it's not unusual to get verbally harassed or ostracized. The sad fact is that college campuses which purportedly advocate freedom of thought are the nidus of social elitism. I should know, I was a graduate of UCB. (I'm not saying we're all like that but many folks are vocal about their disdain for the military.)

Try mingling around the UC Berkeley campus in uniform. Not everyone's going to greet you with open arms and, often, it's not unusual to get verbally harassed or ostracized. The sad fact is that college campuses which purportedly advocate freedom of thought are the nidus of social elitism. I should know, I was a graduate of UCB. (I'm not saying we're all like that but many folks are vocal about their disdain for the military.)
It's not just that school. I graduated from Florida State in the late 90s and I had a few of my teachers really give me the stink eye for the one day a week we were supposed to wear BDUs on campus for Army ROTC. Even had one try to fail me in German my final year and keeping me from graduating. She couldn't give me an F because although my grades sucked (I am useless with foreign languages) as I did all the work and the grade I got would have kept me from going further, but as I was graduating it made no difference as I was done anyway. It helps to have a former USAF fighter pilot as the head of the department your major is in, doing the sign off on your degree for the Army!
Got called, "Baby killer" more than once (and this was way pre-Iraq), which i always laughed at them. That always ticked them off.
I did say a few times, "Wow, you must really be bummed that you missed the 60s, aren't you?" That made their blood boil...

After seeing, "The November Man" over the weekend, I just realized another stupid one...
Someone has only a verbal name, gives it to someone to run a background check and the following always happens:
*The person on the other end always types the name with the correct spelling, no matter how unusual it might be.
*They always find just one match. Instantly.
*It's always the right person, OR, it proves the character is using a faked name and nobody questions maybe they just typed the wrong name in (back to the first point).

After seeing, "The November Man" over the weekend, I just realized another stupid one...
Someone has only a verbal name, gives it to someone to run a background check and the following always happens:
*The person on the other end always types the name with the correct spelling, no matter how unusual it might be.
*It's always the right person, OR, it proves the character is using a faked name and nobody questions maybe they just typed the wrong name in (back to the first point).
I like the Terminator solution:
1. Tear a page out of the phone book.
2. Systematically eliminate candidates ... literally.

Thats like the forensic one I mentioned way back.

the mark goes in the computer
spits out one perfect match
mark in the database is exactly the same as the one from the scene, not a neatly rolled or scanned impression taken on arrest.

Everything very quick an easy.

I like the Terminator solution:
1. Tear a page out of the phone book.
2. Systematically eliminate candidates ... literally.
Good point. I agree, that was a refereshing aspect to that film, it acknowledged that both sides simply didn't have all the answers. Computers have seriously screwed up our concept of what is possible and what isn't, in movies and in in real life.
Thats like the forensic one I mentioned way back.

the mark goes in the computer
spits out one perfect match
mark in the database is exactly the same as the one from the scene, not a neatly rolled or scanned impression taken on arrest.

Everything very quick an easy.
Yeah, I'd forgotten your post, the thing about that drove me nuts was it was an Eastern European name they just read over a phone. Frankly, they didn't spell it the way I would have from what I'd heard. That was my big gripe, nobody thought to ask how to spell it?

Good point. I agree, that was a refereshing aspect to that film, it acknowledged that both sides simply didn't have all the answers. Computers have seriously screwed up our concept of what is possible and what isn't, in movies and in in real life.Yeah, I'd forgotten your post, the thing about that drove me nuts was it was an Eastern European name they just read over a phone. Frankly, they didn't spell it the way I would have from what I'd heard. That was my big gripe, nobody thought to ask how to spell it?

That does bother me too. We always spell names, streets etc using phonetic alphabet over the phone or radio. We even have posters round the buildings reminding people to be sure of spellings etc because it can always throw up a wrong person or area on intel searches. Which can obviously lead to real bad publicity and potential legal action.

They do that because who wants to watch this kind of thing happen in real time? That said, they could have the lookup take place off screen, and have someone just deliver the results.

Good point. I agree, that was a refereshing aspect to that film, it acknowledged that both sides simply didn't have all the answers. Computers have seriously screwed up our concept of what is possible and what isn't, in movies and in in real life.Yeah, I'd forgotten your post, the thing about that drove me nuts was it was an Eastern European name they just read over a phone. Frankly, they didn't spell it the way I would have from what I'd heard. That was my big gripe, nobody thought to ask how to spell it?

I think why this happens is because the writer simply doesn't think about it because they are seeing the name spelled out in front of them on paper so it's easy to forget in real life that it's not so obvious.
Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

It's been said here before, but it really annoys me to see characters on a screen that do not match the sound of them being typed out. And funny how fast people can type onto a screen in the movies, huh?

[/LIST]
I need to address these one-on-one:

1. It really seems like this from the combat arms perspective. I ran a Ordnance company in the Army, and those guys treated us like second class citizens. They blamed us when anything wrong wrong and never gave props when we pulled off the impossible (which happened often).
  2. Well, having been an officer, I see why people think this. I saw it myself all the time, especially at the Major level. I was never a ladder-climber type. Pilots and SOCOM officers were always the worst, I worked with plenty of them.
  3. Ask any combat vet. That's a real common gripe, mertied or not.
  4. Just curious, have you ever served in the military? That happens all the time, regardless of rank.
  5. When you're in a unit, any unit, you feel like you can trust your own and you usually view people in other units with a skeptical eye. reservists really get a lot of this from the active duty folks...

Yes, I was in the military for a few years( reserves) and I did get my share of newbie junk. It's just that sometimes I get tired of of seeing it. (maybe I'm just getting to old and grumpy).

I'm sure this has been mentioned by now but it always kind of irked me when people use computers and just smack the keyboard to do everything.. How come no one every used a mouse?!

I'm sure this has been mentioned by now but it always kind of irked me when people use computers and just smack the keyboard to do everything.. How come no one every used a mouse?!
Funny how in films that are meant to be realistic when a mouse is used, they never have to shake it and bang it on the table or move the pad if it's crappy and keeps sliding

Tired of people sleeping next to hospital patients then morning rises and someone jogs in and starts a dialogue with the first word being how is he or she, and the person is always awake listening to the conversation, I think this happened in spiderman 1 and nearly spiderman 3 and streetdance 2

In a chase the person grabs the door handles or bars of the gate which is clearly locked yet they still shake it back and forth like its gonna magically open like in the karate kid reboot

The scientist/stranger/lunatic makes cryptic predictions that always come true.

What a lazy plot device when someone can just drop random clues to liven the pace ... e.g. "the dome wants us to blah, blah, blah..."

Characters theorize an out-of-thin-air explanation about something, and in-story never actually prove it, but the writier obviously intended us to accept the explanation as fact. I'm talking to you, Kirk and Decker speculating about V-Ger.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back