Latex shrinkage issue Need Help

kreaton76

Hey guys, still a noob here. I have a few questions. I had to take a break from my mask making to work on props. Selling props are what's helping fund my mask making venture.

So here's my deal. I have tried 2 different kinds of latex... and I have RD407 latex from MM coming to try it. I have sculpted a few dead things like rats and cats... and I have done a skillet filler I call "Green Eggs & Sam" It's basically a plate mold of a human face and Eggs.

I am starting to have issues with my props curling up. I have tried to wait till the latex is completely cured before backing with foam, as well as as soon as it dries to touch filling it with foam. However, they keep curling, sometimes badly and to the point I don't feel like I can sell them. Here's some pics.

Does ANYONE have any ideas for a remedy? I know latex shrinks, and I've tried to accommodate for that, except for perhaps re-sculpting it with a reversal curve in it. But,.... for some things you can't do that with, like my skillet prop.

I'll post a few pics.

100_2650.JPG100_2651.JPG100_2652.JPG100_2653.JPG

well i havent ever had a problem with Monstermakers latex doing any funky things with age. are they curling while still in the mold? if you can get it to cure while still in the mold how about laying down some resin instead of the foam. that might keep your plate flat.

I use RD 407 and I haven't had any problems. try a little water in your latex and also watch the temperature your working in if its cold you will have issues like that.

I believe its the foam. I'd suggest trying different foams.
I remember mixing flex-foam IT just a little off ration and after it expanded it shrunk down a little bit and made the mask crush in on itself.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back