Painting tips needed !

robotboy

hi im currently 3d printing a prop i want to paint a nice reflective metallic yellowish gold color but idk what color primer i should use and i really want it to cone out perfect so any tips would be very helpful!

Last edited:
I would think a white primer would be best, but test it to see. Test with white and gray primers, to see which gives the best color.

hi im currently 3d printing a prop i want to paint a nice reflective champagne gold color but idk what color primer i should use and i really want it to cone out perfect so any tips would be very helpful!

There's a good paint I'm using for everything it's a TAMIYA SPRAY (polycarbonate), they actually do have a champagne gold colour :)

$_3.JPG

By the way im actually looking for a metallic yellowish gold paint xD sorry for changing my mind it looks alot better, also this is the thing im trying to replicate I already modelled it. Any better suggestions for paint would be great.View attachment 277063

Can't see your attachment. But if you have an airbrush the best gold you can use is Alclad II gold.

And I use a 2 part epoxy primer that automotive grade. You can see the colour of it in my painting thread :)

By the way im actually looking for a metallic yellowish gold paint xD sorry for changing my mind it looks alot better, also this is the thing im trying to replicate I already modelled it. Any better suggestions for paint would be great.View attachment 277063

Can't see your attachment. But if you have an airbrush the best gold you can use is Alclad II gold.

And I use a 2 part epoxy primer that automotive grade. You can see the colour of it in my painting thread :)
oh okay by the way just look up medabot medal and you'll see what im trying to replicate its from an old cartoon I would really appreciate your input I've seen your work and it is simply awesome.

im gonna try out your techniques and the metallic. gold tamiya paint and hopefully i get some good results c:

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk

im gonna try out your techniques and the metallic. gold tamiya paint and hopefully i get some good results c:

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk

Take a polycarbonate :) it literally paints on anything and creates a really smooth surface :) I use it for everything XD

just a question.. in that tamiya pic it shows that it contains acetone.. isn't that used to melt/smooth out 3d prints? then.. is that a good thing or bad thing? lol i would test it out first....

just a question.. in that tamiya pic it shows that it contains acetone.. isn't that used to melt/smooth out 3d prints? then.. is that a good thing or bad thing? lol i would test it out first....

I don't think it's the kind of acetone that is meant t take paint off x)! I mean I've been using this tamiya paint, for plastic, aluminium, steel, glass, it just painted fine ^^

Whenever I chrome paint something, I always spray a gloss black first and it looks great. I'm not sure if that works with a mirror gold too though. Anyone else know?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back