The Jason's Doctor Who Key To Time Tracer (MARK II pictures!)

13doctorwho

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This is my latest project, the Key To Time Tracer. I modeled the main parts in SolidWorks and had them 3D Printed. Here is a picture of the handle model.

tracer handle.JPG

The clear tube is an acrylic tube with a fluorescent red rod down the middle. The tip was modeled in SolidWorks and printed clear. It came out well, it appears frosted like the original. The finished prop is below.

4th Doctor key to time tracer.jpg

I'm pretty happy with it. I am working on the display stand now. I'll post pictures of the display when it's done. Let me know what you think.

Improved Pictures in the thread below.

Last edited:
Re: The Jason's Doctor Who Key To Time Tracer

apparently you and i are the only ones that have always loved this prop. i tried to see about reproducing it a few years ago but i don't have the resources. i LOVE your reproduction! would you consider doing it again?

Nicely done. One recommendation, get a pipe cutter and use it to scribe the lines in the acrylic rod. It had a series of them, something like 1/4 an inch apart all along the outer shaft.

The pipe cutter is a really good idea. I had thought about other ways to get the lines on there, but that is the best idea. I'll have to try it and see how it looks.

I tried the pipe cutter idea suggested by nakedmolerat and the difference is unbelievable. It looks so much better. Thank you so much for the idea!!!! Here is an updated picture...

UPDATED!!!!!
4th Doctor key to time tracer.jpg

Re: The Jason's Doctor Who Key To Time Tracer (updated pictures!)

Thank you to everyone who's commented. I am working on a Mark II which will include the modern equivalents of the switch covers. I also hope to make it light up. I am designing the handle hollow with the white end peice removable for battery access. That's a little ways off though.

The clear coat on the display stand is curing as we speak. It's a very simple stand, nothing too flashy. It should look cool in my console room!!!

Last edited:

The simple display stand is finished.

The display...
P1230014.JPG

On the shelf with other props...
P1230017.JPG

I also have ordered equivalent switch covers for a Mark II version. Here are images of the 3d models for the pieces I'm having printed for the Mark II.

Handle...
tracer handle pieces.JPG

End cap...
tracer cap.JPG

Someone on Gallifrey Base had made one. He tracked down the actual buttons used on the prop. I don't think he ever shared the source though....

They are out there somewhere.....

I just finished the improved Mark II. Here are the pictures!!! Let me know what you think!

Here's the prop
for posting.jpg

Here it is on display in my Console Room
P2080020.JPG

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back