ILM Falcon Models and MPC Models used in the SW films question

Tom1971

Sr Member
Based on a posts from another thread I want to see if I have this correct:

The MPC X wing that's about 12" long was used in Empire and Jedi, but obviously not Star Wars.

The MPC Falcon was used for animatics. Some discussion on if what used in Empire but most seem to say no.

Where any other MPC models used by ILM????

In regards to the Falcon do I have this right.

5ft

32"

10"

2"

MPC for animatics

Any other Falcon Models used by ILM??????

Thanks

That's about it AFAIK. The two 1:1 exteriors (right side in ANH, full in ESB), the interior sets, the 5-footer, the 32-incher, and the two little single-shot models.

The 5-footer ILM model is THE Falcon, if you have to pick one. It was the first ILM model built and the only model in ANH. It was the source material for everything else about the Falcon in 1977-83 including the full-scale exterior props. All the other ILM models were built for ESB. ROTJ was done without building any new Falcons.

In ANH the setbuilders had to put up an extra support pole (hidden inside a convenient refueling hose) underneath the front part of the 1:1 scale exterior shell. So in ESB all the Falcons had sprouted a pair of extra front landing legs, including the existing original ILM model.

The 32" model has taken over as the primary reference during the CGI era.
The ESB/ROTJ landing legs are visible underneath the CGI version of the Falcon in the ANH Special Edition. (D'oh!)

The interior sets of the Falcon are completely, utterly irreconcilable with the exterior's shape. Even if you changed some interior dimensions to fit better it would just throw off other areas even worse. The best compromise still leaves a few scenes impossible.

The most glaring problem is that the size of the ship is all over the map. The original ILM model was being built at 1/24th scale, which makes a 136-foot ship in theory. The soundstage interior sets suggest about 114 feet (this is the ship's official size nowadays). The soundstage exterior shells were scaled way down to 80 feet, not even close to containing the interior rooms.

Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the info guys.

Guess I'm gonna need to keep that old MPC X wing and build the darn thing.

The blu ray extras include a model of an x-wing from the archives, and it just happens to be an mpc. That might be good reference if you're trying to mimic one of the ones used.

The wings from the MPC Vader's TIE kit were also used with heavy modification as the wings for the TIE Bomber first introduced in ESB. I believe a couple other parts (such as the windscreen frame) also ended up on the TIE Bomber.

I actually OWN one other MPC Falcons that ILM bashed together for animatic work on Empire!

It was given to me, a good luck gift, (and for use as a possible foreground miniature) by my dear friend (and producer of 5-25-77) Gary Kurtz, while we were preparing to shoot the ILM sequence in "5-25-77". The dish is missing, and a couple of the recessed detail bits are currently bouncing around inside it, but other than that it's in pretty amazing shape.

%wmBOoWtTIq41w5FG0x7FA.jpg

Attachments

• qpVe3PKkSgm4oujMfGtAGA.jpg
    qpVe3PKkSgm4oujMfGtAGA.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 172
  • %4A4asa5RGipOt8BLuGvqw.jpg
    %4A4asa5RGipOt8BLuGvqw.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 194
  • 4UGnJnTyR2CK3eZaMcwo+w.jpg
    4UGnJnTyR2CK3eZaMcwo+w.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 172
  • IMG_4247.JPG
    IMG_4247.JPG
    399.9 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_4248.JPG
    IMG_4248.JPG
    277.3 KB · Views: 186
  • eNpT8cv5TtCASDovHJiHQQ.jpg
    eNpT8cv5TtCASDovHJiHQQ.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 184
  • IMG_4261.JPG
    IMG_4261.JPG
    366.3 KB · Views: 176
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back