Space Battleship Yamato ..

fivebucks

I was thinking of making a scratch build of the Space Battleship Yamato, but using one of the more affordable smaller versions as a guide. Bandai is getting ready to release a 1/350 scale which looks quite impressive, and is high detail, which I dont think a lot of modelers are going to like.

Do you think it would be a viable build, and would I be able to sell my completed Yamato??
I plan on making it a bit bigger than 1/350, I dont know the size of the scale I have in mind but it would be a bit bigger.

I don't understand. Bandai did release the 1/350 model years ago. Why would modelers not like it? It's been a big success as far as I know. I personally don't like the level of sound and light gimmickry, but I think I'm a minority of one.

I think there could be a market for a 1/250 or 1/200 model of SBY, but it would unavoidably be quite expensive.

If it's 425mm as the SciFi Japan page says, it's smaller than both of the 1/500 2199 versions out there (the older one is 530mm and the newer one is 666mm). The 1/350 version that's based on the Playstation game is 766mm (considered by many to be inaccurate and superseded by the 2199 design).

Based on a revised length of 33300cm for the ship, 42.5cm is around 1/783. If it's using the old 26500cm length, then it's around 1/623. Neither of those scales make much sense, I don't think I'd base a larger version of anything on this one (certainly not for $265).

The new version 1/500 kit is only around $80, reflects the latest official size and configuration of the ship and is very, very nice (probably underpriced, if you ask me). The older one is under $60...

Mark in Okinawa

Last edited:
I found a great pic of a suit holding the model box, I wanted to post it for a type of scale. While cruising Japanese sites .. I tried to look for that same pic, but unfortunately I as usual I cleared my browser cashe, and trying to find that same pic is proving hard.
I am excited of the idea of making it myself, but up against a company that is going to distribute .. and announcing it, kinda makes me think otherwise.
Although it is sooo sexxii ...

- - - Updated - - -

and oh yea, the site I saw for preorder, was I think usd $411.00

The older one isn't Yamato: 2199, as far as I know - the ship was rescaled specifically for 2199 and is now both larger and officially *not* the rebuilt wreck of the real HIJMS Yamato. Even the wreck camouflage is fake, in the new show. It's still pretty silly but who cares, 2199 is a great show. I ordered the new kit last week and gave my just-built copy of the previous kit to a friend.

The 1/350 kit was released several years back. I wonder if it might be realistic to expect a Bandai 1/350 version of the 2199? Ideally a low-frills version; I just don't want that amount of fruit.

PS the Chogokin product linked to above isn't anything to do with the Bandai 1/350. It's a new diecast.

At a price of $411 that probably is the Bandai you're talking about; the die-cast is listed at far less on your link.

The older one isn't Yamato: 2199, as far as I know - the ship was rescaled specifically for 2199 and is now both larger and officially *not* the rebuilt wreck of the real HIJMS Yamato. Even the wreck camouflage is fake, in the new show. It's still pretty silly but who cares, 2199 is a great show. I ordered the new kit last week and gave my just-built copy of the previous kit to a friend.

You're right, thanks for correcting me on that. The older of the two newest 1/500 Yamato kits was released prior to the 2199 series and if memory serves represents the 2010 live action movie version of the ship. It gets difficult to keep the Yamato-verse straight in my head sometimes! The two ships are very similar however - the 2010 version is much more like the 2199 version than its older sister from 1978...

Seems to me that for the $265 you'd spend for the oddly-scaled diecast you could buy a larger kit and build it yourself with lights, sounds and servos, but I guess that's kindof the point - not having to build it yourself. In this case though, using the diecast to base a larger than 1/350 scale version upon makes little sense to me.

A 1/350 version of the 2199 ship would be great but way out of my price range. HLJ still retails the old one at almost $430 and I've seen it for slightly more in a local shop.

Mark in Okinawa

Not the live-action (I wish - not a great movie, but OMG, that ship). Agree re kit similarity though.

I hear you. I've spent more than Bandai is asking for the 1/350 'old' version on resin models, but $430 is just too far into my pain zone for an injection-plastic kit of a fundamentally silly spaceship. :lol

A lot of what you're paying for with that kit is sound, motion and lights - that's why I'm kind of hoping for a pov-spec version. It's a little bit too toylike for my taste, and the aftermarket would cater for sound and light stuff anyway.

FlyingDachshund, I came across something last night indicating the 2010 1/500 kit IS based off early Yamato: 2199 design work, before the ship was rescaled to 333m for the show. No idea if the claim is true but perhaps there is a common heritage after all.

I received my copy of the new kit; it's impressively larger than the 2010 kit - almost the size of a 1/350 real-world battleship. The surface detail is fantastic, too.

It seems as if some features may have been left out; there are moving details and what looks like provision for a rotisserie/fighter hanger but the guts of it aren't provided. The base is odd; it has some features that aren't used and the instructions reference LEDs but you have to provide them yourself.

Oh well, I'm not about fruit anyway, I just want a nice static display model with lots of surface detail at a nice price, and this is that kit.

Some quick pics:

20140124_192427.jpg 20140124_192417.jpg 20140124_192405.jpg
Box art is ridiculously beautiful. Frameable!

I wish I had held out for the new 2199 release, I have the smaller 1:500 kit from 2010 (don't get me wrong it's still a beautiful kit, I just want bigger)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back