Studio Scale Death Star Turret

Thanks guys !

Cool. Mine is a bit idealized.

You could just remove your hull and glue a 3mm plate under them ? Easy !

I didnt have any other choice, my greeblies casting set was missing a sherman hull. I had only one left (cut so much for the X-Wing :p) from my previous laser turret build. Of course nor the casting or the original part were cut the same way. To save Mike some time (casting another hull for me) and to go easy, I built a master and that was a good thing since I was able to replicate the original casting. :)

Looking good! How will you keep the guns in position? Is there a tension screw somewhere to do that? I'm intrigued by the armature part of this, since all building it will have to figure out what to do. I guess a counterweight would help keep balance too.

Thanks for sharing this Julien!

Thanks guys :)

Looking good! How will you keep the guns in position? Is there a tension screw somewhere to do that? I'm intrigued by the armature part of this, since all building it will have to figure out what to do. I guess a counterweight would help keep balance too.

Thanks for sharing this Julien!

At the beginning the gun position will be hold with a screw. Then I'll motorize it, I have 2 options : servo or geared motor (like the original, the rotation of the turret was achieved with a belt).

Servo :
pros : easy to deal with, limited travel dont need to use limit switches, "plug and play", can be hooked directly to an arduino (what I plan to use), cheap
cons : weak (if someone is trying to move the guns by hand), use power to hold any other position than neutral, makes noise when holding any other position than neutral

Geared motor :
pros : can hold any position without using power, very strong, same system as the original, speed can be adjusted via motor controller and arduino
cons : need limit switches, need a motor controller to be pluged to the arduino

Lee, it's not as pristine, everything was cut using a small modelling handsaw :) Holes were eyeballed (it shows haha).

Well I've done more work, it is incredibly strong !

I cut several disks (10) with a center hole with my CNC. Some go inside the PVC barrel and are attached to the aluminium tube, some inside the aluminium tube to hold a smaller aluminium tube :) and the last ones go into the MIG barrels and hold a brass thick tube that slide inside the previous small aluminium tube.

The MIG barrels can move forward and backward to simulate recoil (I will probably use the cheap heng Long recoil system even if they're crap, will see if I find something better !).

Nothing is aligned but you get the idea (the whole barrels arent permanently attached to allow the inner installation of the armature.)

Julien, ALL those off the shelf recoils are crap lol, they get the job done kinda, but there very limited and fail a lot, even the Tamiya units arent 100%! There good for an easy cheap fix!

lee

The sliding tubes are cool. Good explanation.

So...would taking an RC tank unit and using that in the turret work also? I imagine the back and forth action of the recoil would be difficult to perform using a system made to just recoil one barrel. If mine gets this far, I might be gluing pennies on the other side to balance it teeter totter-like! That might be all the action it gets. :)

Great engineering work there!

Not at all, just program a servo to recoil, it would work out cheaper, more realistic, and you would have much more adjustability in its speed and throw! Tank units could be used, but they do have limits, most tank enthusiasts build there own BTW!

lee

IMG_7435.jpgIMG_7436.jpg
Julien, I think we're doing similar things? :cool

Scott, the Clark board I'm using in mine works with servos like a champ. My recoil and elevation will be with high torque servos, and the rotation with a wheel/friction... there's a million ways to skin this cat, and Julien's rig looks bulletproof!

Thanks for showing these, guys. I guess lurking on RC boards is in order. Never would have guessed that tank guys would make their own set ups.

Would the servos engage the tubes for the guns like a rack and pinion? Pull them back then release? So much of this is a mystery. Maybe researching how the kit versions work would help.

Some updates !
I got the additional part set from Mike (unfortunatly some are still missing :() so I can move forward

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 213
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 184
Hey guys,

Have any of you ever received this part in your resin parts set for the Laser Turret ?

It's from the 1/25 AMT Fruehauf tanker trailer, I don't have it in my set and I was wondering if it was the case for everyone ?
I also noticed that some other parts were missing but they were probably not ID'ed, that's why. Fortunatly enough, I had the right kit in hand. Some other resin bits seems to have been scratched and are not original parts ? There are also some parts I have NO idea where they should be glued (I had 3 or 4 suspensions parts and I cant see where they are on the original model. I cut them anyway thinking it was the base plate detail of the nacelles support rods, but they arent so I hope it's not something else :)).

What did you ID? I'll have to check what I have against what I did... I think the suspension parts are a best guess for the parts that sit near the Freuhauf spare tire frame on the lower half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back