11th Sonic Screwdriver Remote Conversion w/ Li-Ion & TV-B-Gone

Kazushi

Hello all,

With the start of a new project I thought it'd be a good idea to document my progress. Like kurosawa, NakedMoleRat, and many others before me I am going to be attempting to convert my 11th Sonic remote into an extendable replica. Building upon what others have done I decided I would try and take things a bit further. Having seen the capabilities of the 10th Sonic remote I figured I would try and incorporate some its features into my 11th conversion to give it a bit more utility than just a prop. With this in mind I set out the following design goals:

- Use remote and CO toy as a base
- Add extending function to remote
- Incorporate sound module from CO toy into remote
- Add TV-B-Gone functionality to sonic
- Add Li-Ion power source
- Utilize USB charging for Li-Ion power source
- House all electronics in a simple chassis inside the sonic

So far I have completed the circuit and board design for the TV-B-Gone, Li-Ion functionality and using Solidworks I made a render of what I expect the board to look like. Using this model I hope to design a chassis that will house it and sit nicely at the base of the sonic where the recharge port will be easily accessible.

Assembled Board.JPG
Figure 1: PCB Render

I've also got the base disassembled so that I can take measurements to make the chassis

2zdvxpj.jpg
Figure 2: Disassembled Base

Looking forward to moving forward to this project, will keep it updated as I go!

Last edited:
Been a week with no updates, but some progress has been made made. I'm just doing this project in my spare time from University so updates may still be a bit slow. In any case, due to size constraints I've gone through a few iterations of the board and have finally got one that will fit. I have also completed modelling my chassis which I will likely get 3D printed soon along with getting the boards manufactured and the components ordered.
Assembled Chassis.JPG
Not shown in my rendering, but the sound board from the CO 11th sonic will sit below my board in the chassis in one of the indents in the chassis. All the extra grooves are for wiring. Hoping to get everything finalized and ordered sometime in the next few days. Next I'll likely be focusing my attention on the top half of the sonic, sanding all the bits down to get it to extend. Will update again once some more progress is made.

Another update! Got the top half disassembled; those pins were a bit of a pain to take out before I got the sonic to sit nice. Anyway got the silver half all dremelled out in the middle. I decided that rather than use the L-bracket idea I would try to use the brackets that are already there. To do that I had to cut out on either side of the brackets, and thin them out a bit to allow for the torsion spring to go in, but I think it will work great. I didn't have to really clean up the claws much other than the bit that went over the peg. The brackets still feel pretty sturdy even though they're hanging and since they don't really carry any load, they should be fine.
Next step is cutting up the cage, and working on my modelling my core.
DSC_0029.JPGDSC_0030.JPGDSC_0031.JPG

Small update. Haven't gotten any more work done on the copper cage; had a major setback in my circuit design. Had to do a revamp of the circuit which took some time. Thankfully that has been rectified now and the boards, components, and 3D printed parts have all been ordered now. Seems like everything's going to arrive sometime around the 20th. Will update as more progress is made.

Another Update. Stuff took a lot longer to get to me than expected but at least its finally here. I made a couple of mistakes with the 3D parts so they're going to require some reworking with tools. Trying to decide if I want to just get them reprinted instead. In other news components and boards also arrived and I have begun testing them. TV-B-Gone works great, but still have to test the sound functionality. Now to start the molding and casting of the parts for my core. More updates as they come.
snp7bm.jpg1zvtjqe.jpg30com50.jpg

The past couple weeks have been filled with troubleshooting electronics. I may have damaged one of the boards due to a short, but thankfully I had spares made up. So finally, at long last everything works and all the electronics are complete. As such, I've finally got the bottom half of the sonic all assembled. The bottom copper piece is held on with one peg on one side; similar to the one on the original battery pack, and a screw on the other side. I used putty to fill in the hole and drilled through the outer cover and the newly filled hole to allow the screw to pass through. Placing a nut into the copper bottom allows me to actually screw the bottom together without fear that the bolt will randomly fall out.

sepqok.jpg2aiwc6.jpg2zrl55w.jpg351a0s0.jpg2ur1i0p.jpg

I have also begun making the molds for the core. It was the first time I've working with silicone rubber, or any kind of molding rubber for that matter. In hindsight I realize I could have made smaller molds and used less silicone as a result, but I wasn't really sure if it was going to be enough. Oh well. In any case, two molds are done, and two more to go. Getting close to finishing now, so more updates as they come.
33eoqqw.jpg

Genius! And mitch altman is so cool. Send him a link to this project. He'll love it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. This really has been a fun project. It's been a long time running, but that's because I only have the weekends to work on it as I'm at school the rest of the week. To address some of the question people have:

Where did you get that slim tv-b-gone board?
I custom designed the board to work with the sonic. It incorporates the Li-Ion charger, the TV-B-Gone, as well as the power and control for the CO toy soundboard.

When you complete the testing phase will you making kits available for conversions?
After I'm done with my build, I would consider putting up an interest thread to gauge the possibility of a run. I'm not sure if it would be a kit or not as it could potential be difficult for people to do the final assembly without being fairly experienced in soldering. In addition, the breadth of the kit would have to be decided. i.e. would it include just the boards, the 3D printed chassis, green core, etc. But that's something that could be decided at a later time.

Update! Other two molds are compete and I've given my first shot at resin casting. I like the green colour that I mixed, but I made way too much resin. Almost half of it went to waste. Guess I know for next time. Hoping to pull these soon and see what the results are. Demold time is a few hours, and it suggests a day or two for full curing. Will post once parts all pulled.
b9g8xf.jpg

One way to find out how much resin you need is to fill a jug with marked measurements with water, then place a weight in there and record how much the water rises. Then use the weight to keep the object to be cast under the water and subtract the first measurement from this one. Then make a little bit more resin than that to be safe.

I pulled the parts and they turned out for the most part. The inner core had a large air bubble that didn't get cast, and the emitter didn't cast at all. I did a 2nd casting after adding a another air-vent and while the inner core turned out fine this time, the emitter now had a large bubble. I tried a 3rd run with the emitter, and while better it still had a large portion missing from a bubble. I also unfortunately broke the mold for the emitter so I'll have to contemplate how I want to proceed.
2nkm2if.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back