STS-135 Space shuttle Atlantis astronaut ACES suit WIP

440 yeard of sewing thread gone and suit is starting to get its shape.

There has been lots of tricky points that I will share later. I have learned lot and making has been fun.

IMG_2657.JPG

Sorry, I hadnt noticed that there has been guestions.

Glove rings are just ordinary steel flanges (used in sewage) and over them is steel duct piece.
This combination looks very functional, but is not 100% realistic.

I have had several hardship with this project since last post. I had to search new mdf ring maker (first one was too busy now) and sixt company/person was first one who agreed to make neck ring base. Getting visors done seem to become a nightmare too. Company who agreed to make these in first place, cant or wont make visors. Another companies wont do single items or would charge ridiculous sum (even if molds are ready!). I am in big trouble, If I wont find experienced hobbyist or completely new company who would make visors. Last option would be building my own vacuum former. The problem is that I have only 5 weeks left:unsure

Helmet looks like this now. Next I will start to built visor molds.

kyparamaalattu.jpg

So far I have been stuck with delays and problems. I have still 3 weeks left to complete.

It is likely that I wont be able to do main visor in time unless I built my own vacuum former.
Making mold for visor over helmet:

IMG_2966.JPG

Vac former was built during easter holiday. Visor mold needs still lots of sanding, but I think it will get ready in time. I still have a week...
I do have all suit parts now, but assembly is not ready.

Neck ring will be ready tomorrow and then suit will be ready. Hopefully helmet will get ready tuesday. I will send lots of images then.

These controllers and valves are now ready. Controller is made of sculpey and old parts. Angle valve is copper, sculpey and aluminium. Flange is machined aluminium.
Both are unfotunately 10% larger than in life.

IMG_3484.JPG

Thanks!

I could not finish helmet in time. Hinges are now just simple bolts.

I wore this at work today and teens liked it a lot. Cooling carments sleeves have climbed high and do not show well.

puku1.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back