STS-135 Space shuttle Atlantis astronaut ACES suit WIP

Helmet is real helmet size L. For me size medium would have been better. S would have looked best, but it is far too small for me.

Some of the smaller woman astronauts ( 5 feet tall like me) have had similar problems with helmet sizes! In some images they look so tiny inside huge helmets.

Last edited:
I still search ebay weekly for right sized and cheap pair of Rocky 911 8" boots. There has been right sized ones, but after shipping and custom taxes (up to 28%) their prices have been too high.

I think helmet needs remake. I need helmet that would be perfectly sized and shaped for this suit. This will take time, but I have now all time I want to spend with this.

If you are planning to make your own suit, reading this "Tips for making ACES suit" blog might be helpfull. I will still add more images latter.

These line drawings should have all major parts and seams visible.

IMG_5121.JPGIMG_5122.JPG
If someone is going to make ACES suit helmet, I would be interrested in buying parts.

This might be asking a lot, but I'd there any chance you could post the templates you used in vector format or something?
The biggest problem I'm having with my suit right now is just not really knowing where to start. I have all necessary materials, just no patterns.
I'd really appreciate it!

You can start this way:

IMG_6928.JPG
You can make basic pattern from oversized pants and shirt + piece of fabric. More detailed instructions in my blog.
I am also ready to exhange patterns (in size s - m) to metallic hardware parts from the suit or helmet.

Greetings Teacherinspace, I would like to congratulate you on this build. Early on you said that it was unlikely that you would make gloves. Though not an exact match, you could probably use orange skiing/snowboarding gloves with enough modification to get the idea across. Just an idea, though. Is this thread dead?

Hi!
I did search for suitable ski gloves. Instead I bought one more metre of orange fabric and in future I will make gloves.
I will post images when I proceed, but it will take time.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back