My REAL PARTS Obi-Wan ANH Lightsaber Build... ALMOST THERE!!! New-New Pics!!!

Re: My REAL PARTS Obi-Wan ANH Lightsaber BUILD... New Pics!!!

Edraven99 Here's how I attached the cone/balance pipe with the nut. I think this is what you meant in your email, right? :D

rlbpwv1

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like you may have been in the same boat I'm in with my grenade... Makes me feel better about taking off the beige paint...

I was looking mine over though and If I use some paint thinner and elbow grease, it looks like it may come out as just silver steel, no petina... So it got me wondering, what would it's original state be? Would it have been just "silver" steel?

If not, were they blued? painted?

Any ideas?

I would recommend the paint thinner and a dremel w/wire brush for the deep cuts. You should get a nice "silver" steel.

I don't know if all of them were painted or just the "dummy" grenades. teecrooz probably has more info since he's a professional treasure hunter and has found more mk1s than most of us combined! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like you may have been in the same boat I'm in with my grenade... Makes me feel better about taking off the beige paint...

I was looking mine over though and If I use some paint thinner and elbow grease, it looks like it may come out as just silver steel, no petina... So it got me wondering, what would it's original state be? Would it have been just "silver" steel?

If not, were they blued? painted?

Any ideas?

Should be just steel under there. EL, the grenade you have looks like it was covered in cosmoline to prevent rusting, and was later painted over top of that. That is what created the lumps and bubbles in the pain. If you thinner and then the wire brush, it will bring it down to just bare shiny steel just line Roman said. Mine was the same way once I was able to clean up all the dried up cosmoline.

Thanks for the bump in this thread. I love revisiting these things.

Should be just steel under there. EL, the grenade you have looks like it was covered in cosmoline to prevent rusting, and was later painted over top of that. That is what created the lumps and bubbles in the pain. If you thinner and then the wire brush, it will bring it down to just bare shiny steel just line Roman said. Mine was the same way once I was able to clean up all the dried up cosmoline.

Thanks for the bump in this thread. I love revisiting these things.

So then after, it's just good old perma blue? Have you tried anything else?

Got an itch to do this on the coming weekend... Even though I'm supposed to be prepping the house to sell. heh.

If I don't appear back here, I've been murdered by family.

I've used both perma blue and super blue in the past. Super blue comes out darker so I actually prefer perma blue for a weathered grenade (super blue for an as first built version). This way you can build up to the level of darkness you want easier.

You could do it all while you are "cleaning the bathroom".

I still haven't found the heart to strip my grenade with the light surface rust on it... though with the amount of weathering on the booster that I got, I may not have to....

If it's just light rust, it may be for the better that you leave it... I have to do it because it just looks crappy. There's a nice grenade under there somewhere, and I may go looking for it this weekend... while I clean the bathroom, heh.

From what I've seen of yours, it looks good to go.

Instead of bluing or any other chemical treatment ... you could always do what parfaitelumiere did to his Russ steal grenades ... he burried them for a year in the french soil and got a very nice natural patina :

(Picture courtesy parfaitelumiere)

Chaim

I don't recommend this for a vintage grenade. Chemical bluing can be removed, but rusting and pitting can't be corrected as easily.

Re: My REAL PARTS Obi-Wan ANH Lightsaber BUILD... New Pics!!!

Hey Roman, your are the master of OBI ANH lightsaber!

No need to be envious mogaert ... Romans Empire offers a pension plan to get your hands on one of his replica OB1 sabers ;)

Chaim

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back