Looking for some experience with silicones

cunningham

I am making a mold of my stormtrooper helmet sculpt made from monster clay covered foam. I have used and really liked using Rebound 25, but it is a wee bit costly. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with any of the less expensive silicones such as Mold-Max 30 or Mold-Max Stroke? These cost half as much per gallon as the Rebound 25 and if they are good for making a helmet mold, then I might consider cheaping out a bit. Thanks.

I've used Mold max 30 before and its great stuff. I've used it for Brush up molds using Thi Vex additive and matrix molds and ive had great results. It should work fine for Helmet molds.

OK... gonna give you some numbers...
Mold Max 30 gallon unit sells for $96.54... gives you 11 lbs OR $8.78 per pound
Rebound 25 gallon unit sells for $183.72... gives you 18 pounds of material OR $10.21 per pound
about $1.43 more per pound...
now lets look at total coverage, you can find this on the Smooth-On site on the product page...

Rebound 25 is 23.5 cubic inches per pound OR ~.43 cents per cubic inch
Mold Max 30 is 23 cubic inches per pound OR ~.38 cents per cubic inch
SO... Rebound 25 actually only cost about a nickle more per cubic inch to purchase then Mold Max 30....

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back