BTTF Back to the Future Doc Brown's glasses - see-through

kevinericon

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This glasses is not available in Project Runs forum.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389172056.547697.jpg

Here's my attempt at a see-through (functional) glasses that was seen in Back to the Future. I plan to use some very high grit sandpaper to give it a brushed look, but here is the glasses before any "treatment."

I made the Doc Brown's glasses with acrylic, I used metallic coating, very similar to the bike helmet finish, to give it a metallic look. It's created using Brad's screen used prop measurement, so I'd say it's quite close to the real thing.

You can still see the eyes behind the acrylic if you watch closely. But that doesn't make it any less fun. :lol

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389172640.044921.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Back to the Future Doc Brown's glasses - see-through acrylic

It looks better after some very gentle encounter with a 1000 grit wet sandpaper. ;)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389188289.115291.jpg

Yeah I def agree with Mike, hardware stores usually carry fine, very fine, and super fine. I would get one of those and try it (on a sample). The lines come out closer together and more uniform.

I might have applied too much lighting, the lines weren't that visible. But I agree brushing in steady single direction motion might yield even better result. :)

I do plan to offer these as "kits" so people can decide to wear it as-is or add the brushed lines to their liking. But since this reflective quality is coating, too much brushing could rub off the coating!

Great job. I for one think that the sandpaper yields a more movie accurate result in retrospect when compared to the wool, due to the more obvious lines. By the way, what did you use to get the mirror finish? Again great job!

Re: Back to the Future Doc Brown's glasses - see-through acrylic BTTF

The mirror finish is a reflective paint used for optical products, it's very similar to spray paints but it's not available to consumer market. I have a guy in factory helping me out with it. The result is very interesting. :)

Re: Back to the Future Doc Brown's glasses - see-through acrylic BTTF

This thread passed me straight by :wacko

Well done Kevin, what a great idea, build, and result !

:thumbsup

Re: BTTF Back to the Future Doc Brown's glasses - see-through (Aailable in PROJECT RU

Thanks Alan, it was a fun project, I wanted to do for quite awhile but never got the time. ;)

Re: BTTF Back to the Future Doc Brown's glasses - see-through (Aailable in PROJECT RU

Those are so rad! Glad to see they could be functionally replicated!

Hi Kevin! I'm attempting a first time build and a piece of the suit will require the same coating you've used on these beauties! Needs to be reflective on the outside but see-thru. I've had zero luck finding a place to do that tho. Any chance you can point me in a direction to have that done???

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back