Doctor Who 11th (?) Doctor / Matt Smith bust WIP

VashDstampede

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Updated pic:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Haven't posted a WIP of my own personal projects in a while and figured with all the Doctor Who threads, I'd put a teaser of one I'm working on. Still very early in the sculpting process, just days old, since this is a second attempt at Matt Smith's doctor. The first one had acrylic eyes which were very distracting, so I started over.
I'm finishing up a commission right now, so I hope to get back to this very soon.

Hope I do the Doctor justice, since I'm a big fan. Heck, I already have a mannequin dressed as the 11th Doctor, which I put together months ago, since I knew I wanted to sculpt this. If I get this done right, I may tackle Tennant next ;).

Last edited:
Thanks Howlrunner!
Got a bit more work on him tonight, before getting back to my other project. Fleshed him out a bit more, but still need to do a bit of nip and tucking here and there. I'll see if I can squeeze a couple of sittings this week for it. Don't have my camera working, so sorry for the blurry iphone pics.

Last edited:
Thanks 13doctorwho! I'm fairly new to Doctor Who, but my wife and I have watched the New Who seasons 1-7 at least 5 times now all the way through and we're starting our 6th round this week. The 11th Doctor is our favorite so far, so that's why I'm starting with him.
Anywho (pun intended ;)), I had some time this evening and wanted to get back to basics so I scrapped the detailing for now and tried to get the structure more correct. Still need to trim down the chin a bit more and then work on getting the profile to match.
I'm also still deciding on what expression I want him to have, so that will be the next thing I do.
Here's a bit of a comparison, just to see my progress:

Lot's more work to do, so hopefully I can keep finding some time here and there to mess with it a bit.

Ely. I genuinely think this is your strongest likeness to date. I have worked with matt on many occasions and can see very little difference in you sculpt.

all i would say is that if you are sticking with the wrinkles on the forehead, you may need to bring the brow up a touch. really really good stuff!

Thanks Rich, that means a lot coming from you :$
Very cool that you have worked with Matt Smith as well, we're such a big fan of his work.

I'll make sure to keep the brow in mind since that may be the expression I'm most likely to stick with.
I'm just glad it's recognizable at this early stage since I haven't printed any pictures up, just working with the TV and my iphone.
Once I get a new printer cartridge, I can print up better reference pictures to go by.

Dude, I haven't been on the sculpt boards in awhile. Don't know much about the Dr., but wow!!! Looking at the actual photo and the sculpt, it looks spot on. Awesome work as always my friend. What else ya working on :D

Reel

Thanks Reel, stay tuned tomorrow for another project I'm working on ;)

Had a few minutes to mess around today while waiting for dinner, so here's where he's at at the moment:

And a bit of fun with photoshop :)

Last edited:
Hey bud… Great project…great start. I know a few people who'll want to get their hands on that.

Just one or two little pointers though to be aware of. The picture you are using is a pretty close quarters image - so watch those focal lengths and i'm a bit worried it might be throwing out the real facial dimensions… Just looks a bit to narrow at the moment... to pinched in where the mandible meets the lower ear. I know it more or less matches that image you're using but I think that pic of Matt was take pretty close-up. Check out other images.

matt_smith_ben_mckenzie_peabody_award_winners_02.jpg

Thanks guys!
I agree Phil, thanks for the heads up :thumbsup. I noticed that it was a bit narrow and the pictures being shot above straight on makes it even more so. I will be honing in on that as soon as I can get the neck area worked on, that usually helps me gauge how the facial structure is lining up. If I get some time tonight, I'll build those areas up and post an update.

I forgot to post this updated pic I took a while back, but here is where the Matt Smith bust / The Doctor is when I last left him.

I think I just have a few more tweaking here and there, but I'm pretty happy with it as is.
I also posted this pic on the first post to show how much it progressed ;)

Last edited:
Wow that is stunning! Its a real good resemble

Maybe one point of nitpick as a Whovian (or maybe im just not seeing it yet) does he has a expression on his face? It seems to me that his look is rader neutral?

Expect that, absolutely stunning, a beautiful piece!

It's important to remember that our most expressive features are the eyes, so as long as they're handled well (and looking at the banner to his website, that won't be a problem) then Matt will really start to looking like a true emotional human!

But this is truly stunning. Each critique that I had has already been brought to attention and fixed. The jaw is wider, the lips are smaller, the brow is raised. At this point it looks perfect! I look forward to following this and seeing if you keep this level of quality up :D

Thank you guys! Yes, I'm hoping the expression is brought out by the eyes and the eyebrow placement. My wife wanted just a slight expression where he could be serious but still have a slight whimsy about him. I fixed his chin and I also positioned the head/neck to have a stretched forward lean.
I'm back to my other project so here's where I've left him off for now with his "going to church" outfit ;)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back