MOS General Zod Kryptonian Build, slow but steady

Gauntlets from the front. 3/4 view and the back. The saber clips onto the front of the right gauntlet with neodymium magnets.
Gauntlets-done-front-3-4.jpgGauntlets-done-back.jpg

Great work thus far! I also have been wanting to approach this project for a while, but was unsure on how to approach it. I am glad that you shared your build with us and there is a lots of techniques here I am going to steal for my own build.

Thanks!

I'm excited to see it all finished!
Thanks!

Great work thus far! I also have been wanting to approach this project for a while, but was unsure on how to approach it. I am glad that you shared your build with us and there is a lots of techniques here I am going to steal for my own build.

Thanks!
I learned most of my techniques from Kamui Cosplay but I invented a few along the way myself. :)

- - - Updated - - -

The last of the armor bits. The middle and back finger plates have these triangle bits. I decided that Apoxie was the fastest route. I tried worbla but it would've taken forever. After they dry I'll hit them with a file, prime them, and maybe paint tomorrow. After that I'll attach them to the gloves. I trimmed the corners off around the white triangles of the middle and back finger plates (not pictured).
fingers.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't invent this glove making method but I'll repeat it here. I did change how you do the back of the hand, I just several smaller strips so it sticks better, The two big strips in the back seemed like they wouldn't be sturdy enough.
Gloves-Progress.jpg

For the last three days I've had a fellow cosplayer sewing up my body suit. It's really snug but it has to be with the two fabric layers. First we laid out the patterns and cut everything out in the silver spandex. We did this just in case we were over/under or had weird measurements. For the most part we were right on and under the arms we discovered that after the black fabric was added what was once comfortable was no longer comfortable so we had to add a small diamond shaped patch under the elbows to the armpits. Hopefully it won't be that noticeable but when your hands change color it's too tight. My seamstress has been fabulous and I owe her tons for the fantastic work she's done.

The patterns are a standard leotard with raglan sleeves (taken in to be tight sleeves) and then a custom leg pattern from stretchy.org. We chose a this style of leotard because it closely matches the cut of the movie suits. We left lots of extra fabric on the top (silver stuff first) and tucked it in under the leotard and then marked where they intersected. After that was done, trimmed and then fitted to make sure it was accurate we laid out the fabric on the gorgeous fabric by Masked Rider. Note, the fabric is a directional pattern and stretch so all of the suit patterns need to be oriented top to bottom so the pattern looks right. We're using invisible black zippers at the wrists, ankles, and along the back. We were using a 10% stretch scaling for the patterns which means take all your measurements and multiply by 0.9. I also worked in millimeters since it was far easier than converting the decimal inches back to a fraction.

In this pic the pieces are laid out from top to bottom: Sleeves, back halves of leotard, leg, body front of leotard and then the other leg.
suit-pattern-layout.jpg

We then basted together the black and silver pieces. The paper is parchment paper and because it too is silicone it sticks well to the fabric. We pinned the two fabric pieces and the paper together so it'd go through the sewing machine. The sewing machine used a "stretch stitch" that was set to a long stitch and low tension.
suit-back-pattern.jpg

And Voila, this is the suit leotard top! We added the legs but I don't feel comfortable taking a pic down there. Ya I don't have the muscles to fill it out but that's what armor is for! :)
Suit-top.jpg

OH! and FYI. Four meters of fabric was just barely enough for the black fabric since it is not full 60" wide fabric like we get here in the states. It was maybe half that wide. But still totally worth it!!!

Wow dude!!!! This costume is absolutely stunning!! You have truly out done yourself, you have some incredible talent my friend congrats on this amazing accomplishment!!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back