MOS General Zod Kryptonian Build, slow but steady

Dude that is awesome! The whole suit is awesome!!!
Thanks!

I have a week off for Easter so I plan on knocking a lot of things out including some priming and starting the belts. I also have a great idea for how to mount the abdominal plates, it involves spandex and velcro. The ladies at the fabric store gave me a look when buying spandex today too lol.

The one pain about sewing fur is pulling the fur out of the seam since it's all done from the inside out like a bag, it's unavoidable. You can use a seam ripper or a toothpick. I have both but the toothpick seemed less likely to damage the material.
Cape-fur-in-seam.jpg

And now, revised placement. I didn't like the cape on the inside of the shoulder supports so I moved them to the outside and it made a world of difference.

On the left is the new placement, the right is the old placement.
Cape-revised-placement.jpg

Here's how the cape is attached. Square rings are sewn to webbing which is then sewn into the seam in between the microfiber and fur. No, I won't use twine when I'm done, a double sided black velcro tie will be in place.
Cape-rings.jpg

And here is the full cape again. It didn't seem to make much of a difference in flow with the new placement of the mounting rings.
Cape-full-revised2.jpg

Here is one of the belt straps. Some of the segments have a little irregular placement but it's not too bad. This was a test of the concept of using spandex as a strap and if it could support the weight of all the segments. It seems to have worked.
Belt-strap1.jpg

OMG sanding, sanding, sanding, patching, and more sanding. I've been using apoxie sculpt as my patching compound, it seems to stick to the spray filler and worbla equally well and it's less toxic than bondo. Oh and one more thing. The spray filler doesn't perfectly fill in the worbla so it can look "pitted" like ancient metal as this armor is supposed to be, so it's another happy accident.
chestplate-sanding.jpg

And Shapeways finally found my saber that goes on his right arm, going to cut it up like a toy light saber so it extends. Basically it's just a squashed and stretched cylinder (oval-ish). Yes I used shapeways because I needed a big printer, otherwise I'd have used a makexyz.com printer.
Zod-Saber.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome dude
Thanks! Slow but steady. Still putting off the boots and gauntlets. They're in progress but it's super slow.

Here's a pic of the strap matrix. Four straps attach to this thing and two go under it from the legs up the back. I may add a few antique gold-ish highlights but so far I like how this is turning out color wise. I used rub n' buff spanish copper and ebony mixed in some places and just rubbed it on as a shadow or dirt in the cracks effect.
Strap-matrix.jpg

So I used the "antique gold" rub n' buff for highlights and while it looks awesome in person it's difficult to photograph. I had to wait for the other coats to dry, base spanish copper mixed with ebony, ebony shadows and then the highlights. I'm trying to paint with light by starting off dark and where it looks like it'd rub on something I put on a highlight.
strap-matrix-highlights.jpg

And here's the butterfly of carpel tunnel. This thing keeps the cloak off of my back. So yes, while it's on my back under the cloak if it gets too hot I still need this and the strap matrix above to be finished pieces if I take the cloak off.
Butterfly-finished.jpg

Last edited:
Worked on the abdominal plates tonight. I think I might mute some of the gold on the top plate with more of the background color, it's a little too much. It's fortunate that I have a bad tube of ebony rub n' buff. It's all goobered up and makes blobs that stick in weird places which makes the "ground in grime" look more realistic.
abdominal-plates-done.jpg

I couldn't wait any longer. I started to rub n' buff the chest :D It's turning out ok. I had to let it dry a bit and then touch up spots and then buff it. I still have to add the dirt and grime as well as thin it out and use a paintbrush to do the collar. Unfortunately for you the JPG image doesn't do it justice.
Chest-base-coat.jpg

Very nice! Love the attention to detail.

Thanks. I doubt most will notice the little things but I feel better about it. There are some "nerdy" spots of detail and sometimes these details are like falling down the rabbit hole :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking good dude!! I love all of the detail work, and the rub n buff looks great
Thanks woodyROM.

I have just spent the last three hours attempting to paint on the shadows and highlights, it seems to have turned out well. I wish I had more light to take the picture by but this is as good as the pic is going to get. Turpentine and rub n' buff makes a paintbrush happy (FYI).
Chest-Done.jpgChest-Done-Back.jpg

And here are a few close up's.
Chest-CloseUp-Side.jpgChest-CloseUp-Back.jpgChest-CloseUp-Back-Side.jpg

And before you ask me about the striped collar look at this:

Zod-Collar.jpg
It's weird how washed out the armor is from the spotlight of the ship above him. In every other shot and the statue it's dark brown like mine.

Attachments

• Zod Collar.JPG
    Zod Collar.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 126
Last edited:
The one pain about sewing fur is pulling the fur out of the seam since it's all done from the inside out like a bag, it's unavoidable. You can use a seam ripper or a toothpick. I have both but the toothpick seemed less likely to damage the material.

First off, this build is amazing! Congrats on the progress. :)

Just thought I'd toss out a couple of quick tips for working with fur to cut down on the frustration of the pile (having built more Santa suits than I care to think about): cut from the back of the fur with a razor blade rather than scissors -it cuts down on the flying fuzz factor; then, take scissors and trim the pile down in the seam allowances. Just take the scissors and cut the pile almost to the backing all along the edges the width of the allowance. When you sew, go slowly and sweep the pile out of the seam allowance with your fingers as you go.

This will reduce bulk in the seams, give the fur a nice spread on the edges of the finished piece and will save you having to pull the pile out of the seams (which, as you mentioned, damages the fabric as well as takes a lot of time to get it even).

Cheers!

First off, this build is amazing! Congrats on the progress. :)

Just thought I'd toss out a couple of quick tips for working with fur to cut down on the frustration of the pile (having built more Santa suits than I care to think about): cut from the back of the fur with a razor blade rather than scissors -it cuts down on the flying fuzz factor; then, take scissors and trim the pile down in the seam allowances. Just take the scissors and cut the pile almost to the backing all along the edges the width of the allowance. When you sew, go slowly and sweep the pile out of the seam allowance with your fingers as you go.

This will reduce bulk in the seams, give the fur a nice spread on the edges of the finished piece and will save you having to pull the pile out of the seams (which, as you mentioned, damages the fabric as well as takes a lot of time to get it even).

Cheers!

Thanks. I'll remember that for the next fur thing I ever (never) build :)

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a pic of the side straps that go from the cod and chest down and back to the strap matrix.
Side-straps-done.jpg

Well I have the pauldrons painted now, they're a little too bright, like the ab plates I'll have to tone them down a bit.
Pauldrons-painted.jpg

Also, back to the belt segments. My 3D printer guy Joe has sent me 160 of them. Just 135 more to go.
160-belt-segments.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back