Need sewing tips for possible AMS2 project

calisis271

Hey guys I was thinking of purchasing somebody's Amazing Spider Man 2 costume file and get it printed myself as I think it works out to be cheaper and sew it myself. I have very little experience with a sewing machine and would like a few tips on how the suit should be sewn and what type of stitch/thread should be used. I was also thinking of getting this sewing machine. Will this be OK? Buy Toyota SPB15 15 Stitch Sewing Machine - White at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Sewing machines. Also any ideas where I could maybe get latex spiders for the front and back of the suit as well as which type of puff paint should I use and maybe webshooters.
Thanks

Your machine should do a stretch stitch. Basically, it sews front and then back, front and back, etc, creating a stretch stitch that gives when stretched. I can't see on the machine you want if it has it, but if it doesn't, don't bother. As for the spiders, consider casting them yourself in silicone.

You'll want to stitch your spandex suit with a zig zag stitch or #6 with the machine you've chosen as an example here. This stitch should allow the spandex to stretch without breaking. It is ok to use a straight stitch to put in your zipper(s) since the zipper tape doesn't stretch in any case. If you choose to buy that machine I'd recommend that you use some scrap fabric to test zig zag and then stretch the seam to test the stitch and see if it breaks. If it does you'll want to adjust the stitch length (smaller) and perhaps tension of the machine until you find a good setting for your chosen fabric.

Having said that the best sewing machine to use for stretch fabric is a serger, sometimes called an overlock / overlocker or merrow machine.
(You will still need a straight stitch machine to install your zipper.)

Yes, right. That one is a 3 thread example which is good for spandex.
You can also use a 4 thread overlock stitch like this one:
http://static-sympoz.s3.amazonaws.com/blog/2012/10/serger-4-thread-overlock.jpg
Both of the above stitches are great for spandex assuming you have the machine adjusted properly.

However avoid 4 thread machines that make a stitch that looks like a good 4 thread serge on one side and on the other side they look like a straight stitch next to the 3 thread overlock since they are not as spandex friendly. Like this:
http://shop.raphaelsewing.com/images/Copy of techsew757_bigprev2_04.jpg

Finally you will want to avoid 5 thread sergers which make a chain stitch next to a 3 thread overlock. The chain stitch breaks too easily and once it does it will unravel. Like this:
http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/media/products/juki/mo-735/desc/5-thread.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back