1:8 Time Machine (1960 movie)

crackerjazz

Sr Member
Happy New Year, everyone!

This is the Alchemy Works (Mike Evans) time machine from the George Pal-directed 1960 movie which starred Rod Taylor.
It's in "Pocher" scale :) (remember those elegant 1:8 Pocher automobile kits - hard not to love that Fiat F-2).

go04.jpg

Parts are mostly solid - wouldn't be easy to motorize.

yb5z.jpg

For parts which originated from 3D-printed masters, they are exceptionally smooth. I don't
know how they did that - there are rivets and details which would get in the way if they had
used the putty and sanding method.

1l51.jpg

3u3u.jpg

The wires are more for the coils and not really for lighting up the kit.

fmt3.jpg

These are the clear parts. There should be a way to light it up, but I'm leaning towards taking the
easy way out and not doing that.

d4s2.jpg

7cnz.jpg

One can choose between the different time travel dates.

8eus.jpg

Not much by way of instructions. This is where google and DVD screen grabs step in.

Last edited:
It'd be great to see a lit and motorized version., although I think I'd be tearing out quite a bit of hair to get that accomplished. The finish on the parts looks great though. How big does that 1/8 scale come out to, 10 inches long maybe? Good luck with this, I'm subscribed.

Thanks, laellee : ) There are some areas that need a little sanding but the finish is very good - smooth and bubble-free.
It's about 9.5 inches in length when built.

a1u1.jpg

59lh.jpg

0z3b.jpg

Ran the blade along the edges to smooth it out some more.

7uy2.jpg

1cn4.jpg

97co.jpg

adms.jpg

n4da.jpg

I always loved that elegant machine.
And in my and my daughters opinion,
Rod Taylor's one is better than the recent one.

BTW , does this kit contains a christal knob? :D

I look forward to see the kit get done.

You and your daughter have good taste. Simon Wells should be ashamed of what he did to HG's legacy with that movie, not how you treat a piece of family history. If it doesn't have a crystal knob you'd think there'd be an aftermarket part for it. Do you have the special edition of the movie to get screen caps of the machine? There's a special part that shows the restoration of the chair (plus a "sequel" segment with George and Filby years later after George vanishes.)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back