Replicating a 1/12 Scale Iron Man Hall of Armor Display

Boba Debt

Master Member
I'm building 1/12th scale version of the Iron Man Hall of Armor that should work for Revoltech and Marvel Legends 6" figures

So far I have ordered the following Revoltech figures:

• Mark I
  • Mark II
  • Mark III
  • Mark V
  • Mark VI
  • Mark VII
  • Mark XLII

I also ordered a 6" Marvel Legends Iron Patriot since Revoltech doesn't offer that version yet.

I'm going to use the Diamond Marvel Select Hall of Armor Display and a base unit for my figures.

Originally I was going to create a master and then have it cast or printed but I can get the MS War Machines for around $20 so that seems to be the most cost effective way to do this.

However, it will take a lot of work, mostly because the actual side walls of the MS HOA base are not solid like the prototype pictures showed.

MS HOA as pictured on all web sites and the back of the box

The actual base that I received

To make this work I realized I would have to modify and join both sides to create a solid wall

I spent about an hour in my shop cutting the left and right side so they would be thinner and then I hand lapped them until they were flat enough to glue together which created a wall that will work for the left, right or center wall of a bay unit.

I compared these walls to the real thing and the distance above and below the light is smaller then the Marvel Select Walls. I also think this display might be about 3/4” too tall for a 6” figure.

To fix both of these issues I will cut about 1/4” off the top edge and a 1/2” off the bottom

I know there are still exposed holes on the outside but I’ll cover them up with some model parts and it should look fine.

I might also have to cut down the back and modify the floor.

If it works and looks right I'll just need to repeat the process 10 more times

Here are some reference pictures:

MOVIE VERSION

HOT TOYS

I did some measuring and determined that I can not fit as many bays as I wanted in a single layer.

It looks like I will have to use a 2 layer approach, which may be required anyway, especially if they release Armors from the House Party

Here is how I plan to lay it out for now.

Last edited:
Re: Replicating a 1/10 Scale Iron Man Hall of Armor Display

The more I think about this the more I realize that casting these in resin may not be the way to go.

For this to be a truly awesome display you want to be able to connect multiple units together to make them look continuous.

The back and floor could be the same but you would need a left, center and right wall.

It looks like it would be very difficult to make a center wall from scratch so it might be best to have the parts 3D printed

I don’t know how expensive it would be to print something like this but I know it would definitely be cool

I bet this would make a good project for someone

I want two 5 unit displays so I would need a left and right wall and 4 center walls plus all the floors and backs.

If you’re familiar with 3D printing chime in and help me work this out.

If you would want something like this for your collection post below and maybe a 3D printer will take the project on.

94 views and no comments.

Am I crazy for wanting to do this or just in a super small non-vocal minority?

It's the almost 2014 dude, some folks are busy...you know end of year and stuff;) I don't know what kind of budget you have in mind to achieve your project, but while the 3-D printing route seems fine it's going to be expensive depending on the level of finishes and quality you'd want.
Shapeway web page can give you pricing according to plastic used, finishes and the difficulty of producing the pieces.
Good luck!

I figured a lot of people would be like me, bored and looking for something to do, but then again I'm an old fart that used to working on helicopters 7 days a week, so when I get 10 days off I get kind of stir crazy.

Anyway, I contacted Diamond and they can not get display bases for me, I was surprised at how quickly they responded.

It looks like I may have to either buy 10 War Machine figures or have someone cast the parts.

Even if I bought 10 figures, I would still have to have the center wall created since putting 2 bases side by side would not achieve the look I want.

I have a feeling this is going to cost me a lot of money.

Last edited:

Well, it usually does in the end (I checked in my wallet a long time ago doing this type of hobby;)) unless you want to make silicone molds of what you have already and pour resin the project is still expensive whether you like it or not...either way, looking forward to see what will transpire.

3D printing would probably be the easier route, but you would have to pay for the model to be created. Might be cheaper to mold/cast. You could make one mold of the full single bay, then remove one of the side walls and make a second mold. Cast four pieces of the single wall bay, and one of the complete piece and connect them all together.

Looking at the pictures of the base it looks like it would be very difficult to cast the back. If that is true then there would be no need to cast the floors, backs or left and right wall since you would have to buy display bases to get the backs.

The only part that would have to be cast would be the center wall which does not exist yet.

I am sure a left and right wall can be combined to make a center wall master but I was hoping a 3D modeler would see this thread and consider that there might be a way to make a little money by selling the center walls and offer to do model it for me :)

I ordered 3 Marvel Select War Machines which I bought primarily for the display bases, one should be here by Friday.

I also have a Revoltech Mark V and Mark VII on the way so within a week I should know what the 2 look like together.

I know the Marvel Select Hall of Armor Base isn't 100% accurate but it is very close and will work for me. I'm sure they could be accurized if someone wanted to make them better.

For instance, the back wall is not full height but it would be easy to add a piece to this. But the most obvious issue is the lack of a top which would be easy to add.

Last edited:

Hell, I can do it.

You want to pay for the silicone and smooth-cast 300? I'll make you as many as you'd like.

B

How much do you think it would cost to do 8 center walls?

a pint of silicone is about $35 and smooth-cast around $50, I can master it with the absolute crap-load of styrene I have for free.

What I need from you are accurate measurements of what you need, along with reference pics.

I've pm'd you my email address.

I think I would be able to send you an actual master of the center wall

My first Hurdle:

I received one of the Marvel Select War Machine Figures today and was extremely pissed off when I realized that the Hall of Armor Base is not made the way it looks in the pictures.

Instead of having closed sides giving the wall a solid look, they are open, as if it is only half of a wall, this isn’t a good development

HOA as pictured on all web sites and the back of the box

The actual base that I received

Last edited:

I emailed Diamond about this and here was their reply:

Yes, the sales picture is of a prototype figure and base, and the final product has a base that looks slightly different from the prototype. All of the War Machine and Iron Man bases look the same.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Zach Oat
Marketing Supervisor
Diamond Select Toys

Last edited:

I've had that happen with two separate pieces, one to the tune of $500. In one of the instances, the fine print (which ironically was not even on the packaging) expressed that the item shown to me (photos) in the advertising and at a Con was the pre-manufacture prototype. What I got had several variations, was not as accurate, and had a second-hand paint finish.

I have a feeling you'll be better off making a Hall of Armor from scratch. You might be disappointed with the Marvel Select bases now, but you're going to be even more disappointed when you get the Revoltech figures. The Revoltech's are, as you said, 6 inches tall, which makes them 1/12 scale, so the Marvel Select bases are probably going to end up looking too big. I recommend seeing what you can mock up with cardboard, styrene, and insulation foam before making any further investments.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back