Doctor Who: 11th Doctor Coat from The Snowmen/The Time of the Doctor

Chris Holt

When I first saw the Christmas frock coat in The Snowmen, I wasn't too fond of it. However, since seeing The Time of the Doctor, it has grown on me. Mainly because I couldn't get over how epic his regeneration scene in which he wore it was. Air guitar-ing the regeneration energy out of his body and obliterating the Daleks with it. He really went out with a bang! Anyway, I've seen a few attempts at the coat on eBay. There's just a few things I think look a little off. If you go to eBay and search "purple frock coat", quite a few out of china are available. There is one that has a pretty accurate colour, but the lapels look way too wide and aren't tall enough. The other version has perfect looking lapels, but the colour of the coat is way off. Way too purple. And on both attempts, the frogs didn't look all too accurate. I'm new on here and I'm not sure if I'm permitted to post the links to these or not. So I'm just giving the descriptions. At any rate, I was just wondering if anyone could direct me towards someone who could make this coat. As of The Time of the Doctor, I now feel that this is a pretty historic costume piece.

I didn't even know any of the ebay places were attempting this one. There are a couple of us on here with threads for our builds, they have a lot of info on fabrics and stuff. The coat isn't purple btw, it's maroon.

I didn't even know any of the ebay places were attempting this one. There are a couple of us on here with threads for our builds, they have a lot of info on fabrics and stuff. The coat isn't purple btw, it's maroon.

Ah, maroon. Got it. But yeah, just search eBay for "purple frock coat" (it's listed as purple). You'll see what I mean. Sadly, for the time being, I'm going to have to simply have all my costumes commissioned and such. I wish Abbyshot made more replicas of the waistcoats and such. Their selection is pretty small. I did just buy the purple coat and it is fantastic! Thing is, I'm only just about to leave high school and I have zero (I mean zero) experience with anything relating to tailoring/fashion/whatever you like. I mean, I can point out and name the type of weave in a fabric and such. My eye is fairly... "trained" if you will. But that's as far as it goes. If you handed me some fabrics and told me to put a coat together I'd be running for the hill. And I did see your thread for your build. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Well the joys of living in Cardiff is I go to the DWE quite a lot and today when I went they had Matts Time of the Doctor outfit there. I now know what buttons they use of the coat.

Well the joys of living in Cardiff is I go to the DWE quite a lot and today when I went they had Matts Time of the Doctor outfit there. I now know what buttons they use of the coat.

Would you mind posting a picture? That's the last bit I need good reference on.

Would you mind posting a picture? That's the last bit I need good reference on.

Which buttons you looking for? There are 3 different types.

Buttons on the cuffs

Buttons on the outer end of the braid on the body of the coat

Buttons on the inner end of the braid on the body of the coat

I don't have the pics with me yet as my wife took has the camera but the Time of the Doctor display jacket has 3 different types.....

Oh, I never knew the front and cuff buttons were different. That explains the discrepancies. I would love to see pictures of all of them, and if you've actually tracked them down that would also be helpful.

Well the buttons on the cuffs are different to the ones on the front, also there are two different types on the front and that is not including the one big shank type button

Indeed. Post some pics if you can. Is it the weathered version of the outfit? The way it looked when he had aged about 600 years.

Nevermind. Saw that you said there were different versions. But I think my favourite was how it looked all tattered near the end.

This is a picture from tumblr, so this is before the costume was used for Time,
https://24.media.tumblr.com/c689fbca0c8cfa3aaab9c2a7ada04090/tumblr_msmh5hgQTR1rahx6yo9_1280.jpg
showing 2 different buttons. Is this what you meant thorneyboy?

There is another button placed further in. I have circled where it was placed.....

tumblr_msmh5hgQTR1rahx6yo9_1280.jpg

Those buttons look a LOT like the ones on the cuffs. I'm dying to see these pictures you've got now.

Are you saying you have pictures of a button placed in that spot but it's just not on the picture you have? Because there are no buttons in that spot on the Snowmen coat.

Yeah apparently there's an extra button on the spot he circled, but it's not in that picture I posted.
I dunno why it would be there, and I honestly doubt it is.

Sorry for the far away pic but I cannot find my close up but I have cropped it and circled the buttons that you can see......
S0729120 (2).JPGS0729120.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah apparently there's an extra button on the spot he circled, but it's not in that picture I posted.
I dunno why it would be there, and I honestly doubt it is.

To put your doubt to rest, see my previous post with the jacket and buttons circled. I even know what style buttons they are too....

Looks like they added corded buttons that are similar to the ones on the waistcoat. I don't see the toggle on the left side so I am guessing this was just part of making it look old.

You guys do realize that this is the aged coat and is a different coat to the Snowmen/non-aged coat right? Most of the details are the same but they are two separate items. They didn't age a previous coat.

Yeah, that's why I had my original doubts. They usually don't use original costume pieces for aging,
It'd be sort of a waste, look at all the felting on the fabric, that's a lot of abuse for something that's been used before and you might want to save.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back