1/4105 Scale BSG Foundry Ship

Griffworks

This is the ARVEY Model Products Foundry Ship. Originally, this was the Flattop in TOS BSG, minus all the upper superstructure - which is why it was called the Flattop. It was redressed for Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, IIRC, as some sort of space station(?), tho I might well be wrong about that. The kit is in 1/4105 scale and is roughly 2 1/2 inches / 6.35cm long.

The shuttles are from JT Graphics and are both the TOS (White) and TNS (gray) designs. Neither are permanently attached, just posing to give an idea of just how small they are. Other than the base coat, all detail painting is hand-painted with a regular brush - rather crappily - and the black stripes on yellow are done with a superfine tipped technical pen. I dirtied her up and included some damage to the front upper section of the deck. I might go back and add black to the red that's around the elevator looking middle section.

I've also considered adding some sort of crane to the small round section on the front of the superstructure. Maybe on the next one I build, which is the Second Generation version of the kit. This is the original release, to which I added engine bells, taken from two of the most recent kit, which has three bells per kit.

I've got two more of these. There were at least two of them in TNS BSG, which is why I wanted at least two. I thought I'd build the third with some major differences to the upper details, possibly even given her an extended lower section. The other two are the most recent, revised version of the kit, which has more detail on the underside, as well as added engine bells and an additional detail piece attached to the underside "pod".

Last edited:
I'm a little confused. I want to get one these for my RTF, but not sure what you mean about the TOS version. Are you saying for TOS, that the superstructure should be removed? I'm still a newbie to BSG model building (hoarding at the moment), and I'm still not sure about all of the subtle nuances to the RTF.

The model above, is based off of a version seen in Buck Rogers, but never appeared in the 1978 Battlestar Galactica series - as seen above.

However, when the fine folks at ZOIC added that ship to the fleet, they added it as was seen in Buck Rogers, instead of in TOS Galactica. I have no problem with that and actually like the TNS version better, to be honest. It has a bit more "character", tho intend to scratchbuild - or attempt to do so - a TOS Flattop version.

Here's a PhotoBucket album I uploaded with Reference Images of the Flattop, culled from a couple of different sources. I lay no claim to the images and only have them there as reference. Obviously, a couple of those were taken from the old Battlebuck.com website.

Quick reference pic:

Hopefully, this clears it up for you. I highly recommend the ARVEY Model Products kit, whether for your TNS or TOS RTF. I think it would fit in equally well and you could say that the TNS version is another of that same type of ship that has been heavily modified. Whatever works best for you!

Thanks for looking, regardless.

Finally got around to taking pics w/o the shuttles and updating the PB album.

The "hardest" part was making my sorry backside come upstairs to edit and upload the pics!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back