Strengthening Pepakura: Bondo, Rondo, Resins (Polyester, Epoxy, Urethane) +Fiberglass

Re: Strengthening Pepakura: Bondo, Rondo, Resins (Polyester, Epoxy, Urethane) +Fiberg

I am very aware of the safety risks associated with Fibreglass and so I really need something else. What steps could I take relatively easily and cheaply to ensure a hard, durable helmet. I am aware that this may not be possible but I don't actually need the helmet to be too strong, just strong enough to wear around at events, I am not paintballing in it or anything like that.

Re: Strengthening Pepakura: Bondo, Rondo, Resins (Polyester, Epoxy, Urethane) +Fiberg

I'm really digging all the input in this thread! Fiberglass resin is something I'm still really nervous to use but I know it's probably one of the best options to get a super smooth and realistic finish on pepakura.

Just wanted to throw this option out there: since it's been rainy and super cold here (as well as nighttime by the time I leave work 5 days/week) I've been using another technique for pepakura strengthening.

My current samus helmet is made with cardstock, masking tape, paper mache, worbla, wood filler, and wood glue. I haven't compared yet to the amount of time difference between this method and the resin/bondo route, but I assume it evens out, given that you have to do a lot of sanding for the bondo (at least from what I've noticed). Also, it's a good method for easy battle damage texture... So that's a perk of you get lazy during the sanding process :)

Anyway, I just wanted to throw that option out there just in case you're in a situation where you can't work outside, don't want to risk breathing in the fumes, etc.

I used fiberglass resin one time and I swear never again. That stuff smells like feet after it's cured. I reinforced the inside of my Samus chest armor and to this day it still smells. Less, but still. Having to wear a helmet coated in it would make me lose my cookies.

I have been looking to resin coat my pepakura model for quite some time. I found this resin on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/7701007-Gen...p/B006DY1QXW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8 I was wondering if it would be suitable for my paper model. Also maybe could I mix the polyester resin with pepakura matt to ensure extra strength, or would that not be possible/ would that be very or at all dangerous ! If the resin isn't suitable could someone recommend a UK resin to buy that isn't difficult or dangerous to work with!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back