pacific rim jaeger pilot helmet + more

Hi, This is my first time making my own thread or showing any of my work in depth. My images are limited because my camera wasn't available the entire time during the process of making things (so documentation is limited). I am new to building my own props and costumes, but have been lurking on this site for close to a year. So I will do my best to explain what i have so far. The goal is to have a finished pilot uniform from the opening scenes of pacific rim, the white costume worn by the lead as played by Charlie Hunnam.

Last edited:
okay so to start i'm going to show the first helmet i worked on, I started with images/stills from the movie trailer and re-created it to the best of my ability. later on i noticed my details where off, and i tried to improve my helmet. 100_0724.JPG100_0730.JPG100_0731.JPG100_0732.JPG100_0734.JPG100_0737.JPG

I made this out of eva foam, and used hot glue. I used a similar pattern then the ones being used by judge dredd helmets, but no actual specific pattern's where used. mostly it was measure and cut to try and get it right.

you can see i tried to make the plastic dome like in the movie, which proved to be difficult. here i used old plastic toy boxes and cut them to size. i had neca and marvel select ones i hadn't thrown out and they provided a lot of material.

okay so after watching the movie (i was able to get it done before the premier) i noticed a lot of things like texture and detailing. after doing some research i found a cool video on youtube which has been posted here before about how they made the suits and helmets. i got a better understanding about the whole thing and took a second stab at it. i tried to replace some of the foam parts with aluminum to give it the chrome effect it had on certain parts of it. DSC00018.JPGDSC00019.JPG

i used old beer cans the 40's since they have a larger size.
i guess i should point out this is on a budget. so those where the ear parts i tried to mimic from what i saw in the movie

so those metal parts came close to what i wanted, but the aluminum was tearing in some parts and it wouldn't bend to my desired effect. so i left it alone for a while until recently i got more foam and glue and decided to take a third stab at it. by this point during Halloween i had bought a reflective mask i thought my work for the dome part, giving it that weird effect it gets when they are inside the jaeger. so i've been trying to figure out how to make this work for a while.

i finally got to a point i think it looks alright, i know it's far from the amazing work some of the people on here do, but i feel good about it for now. 100_0869.JPG100_0870.JPG100_0871.JPG

i tried to give it a worn look like in the movie, so it's a little roughed up, i know my temple edges should have been lower and rounder making more screen accurate but i felt it would require re-doing too much. as you can see the dome is reflective. the mouth area is still open but i will put a plastic on that as well. the little jaw area breathing chrome tubes, are actually built in with holes to allow air flow. the ears, you can tell in the images have tape, i still haven't glued them completely down yet. AND yes there is a red light inside i tried to recreate the led lights the movie version had. i think i might need some more, but for now i just have an old battery operated bicycle light i hooked up to the inside, it has red and bright white color. here's some more shots.100_0878.JPG100_0871.JPG100_0873.JPG100_0874.JPG100_0879.JPG100_0880.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

the back part i added a foam trim to mimic the rubber parts like you'd see in a motor cycle helmet and in the movie. the inside is hard to see but i lined it so it's comfortable to wear (and it looks nice with a black contrasting against the white).

i guess this is as good a place as any i am also currently working on a juggernaut suit from the X-Men franchise. it's not done yet but i got pretty far. it's supposed to be closer to the comics version, but i took hints from the movie X-3: the last stand. again i'm working with eva foam and this time i tried to coat the foam with a leather/pleather fabric. which i think went well.

i was going for a natural/anatomical muscle look so i looked at references and built it in layers and parts, then used the leather material as human skin. but of course to simulate the costume he wears. the gray parts will be painted later but i wanted to give those a rocky feel, like cement. 100_0861.JPG100_0862.JPG100_0863.JPG100_0864.JPG100_0865.JPG100_0867.JPG100_0876.JPG100_0877.JPG

you can see the little toy that was giving me inspiration, it's the marvel select juggernaut. so i'm taking color cues and texture cues from that. like i said this is still a work in progress and it's just to show some of my ideas. i hope to finish the entire pilot suit and this in the following month.

not just yet, just what i have so far. i still have little details to add and the light hasn't been mounted on yet. but it's pretty close to the best what i can do. i still want to do the whole body suit, but the juggernaut build distracted me these past few day. but thank you for the comment, and taking the time to check it out.

The pilot costume is looking nice.

For the Juggernaut you might want to look at the Marvel Ultimate Alience 2 design.
That gave the Juggernaut design a lot of head movement.
juggernaut-character-art-in-marvel-ultimate-alliance-2.jpgjuggernautmua2turnaroun.jpg

thanks i did look at that and for a while i was trying to do the rotating head. but the design i'm going for is a little closer to the comics, where it's just bolted down, i was thinking of just not attaching it. i thought with everything finished it wouldn't be so noticeable.

here's an update shot of the juggernaut, i was also thinking of using hulk hands (modified of course) to look like big fists. to balance the large core since i wasn't going to use a muscle suit. i'm thinking of using really thick bicep bands like in his original appearance. JUGGERNAUT_by_DeclanShalvey.jpg08-The-Heroic-Age-Thunderbolts-Juggernaut-600.jpg100_0971.JPG100_0973.JPG

here are some images i was looking at. i can't find the first appearance image i was looking for but his helmet is removed and Xavier has him on a chair, he's got larger arm bands that extend trough the entire bicep, modernly they're thinner because they draw him a lot bigger, and it shows off more muscle. but i'm not a huge buff guy.

okay update

i got some work done and i think it's a good point to put the progress up.

it actually wasn't too bad i thought it was going to be a nightmare but it's coming along faster than the juggernaut costume/build.

there was a lower back/side detail i just couldn't find a clear image of but i think i figured it out decently enough
100_0975.JPG100_0976.JPG100_0977.JPG100_0978.JPG
i also got some neat metal parts to give it a better likeness i think to the movie details.
also the spine isn't as close together as it looks, it's just because it's resting on the table, but once worn it has lots of the room for the spine to go in nicely.

Last edited:
sure pacific-rim04.jpgPacific-Rim-Charlie-Hunnam.jpgpacific-rim-jaeger-pilot-suit.jpgpac-tim-neural-handshake.jpgraleigh becket suit concept.jpgpacificrim_movie_trailer2_cap3.jpgpacific_rim_pilot.608x887.jpg

these are the images i work with but i also use the video from legacy which features the making of the suits, i got a lot of neat stills from that, and natural lighting on the costume.
there's also a helmet video which i found useful
that's basically what i'm working from.

Last edited by a moderator:
100_0979.JPG100_0981.JPG100_0982.JPG100_0983.JPG

i added the detail on the chest with a rubber hose, from an old sphygmomanometer, i have a bunch for idk projects. hot glue wasn't holding it together, so i used contact cement and super glue. made the abdominal area of a thinner foam for flexibility, idk i hope it works tomorrow i'm going to paint it white and then add the silver details with some aluminum pieces if i can find enough.

hey, i am new to this whole "forum Thing" and I just wanted to know how you are or will make the clear face shield. will you use a vacuum former?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back