"Nightmare in Silver" Doctor Who makeup

Jill Sowell

No, mine doesn't light up, but it does resemble the Cyberman tech good enough for me.

When I was a kid, I found out that if you put puffy fabric paint on smooth plastic, it peels off and keeps its shape. Made this with the puffy paint in layers to have some pieces raised, spray-painted it white then silver, and used black acrylic paint to weather it and emphasize certain shadows. Stuck some edges down with a water/elmer's glue mixture.

Screen Shot 2013-12-22 at 8.07.02 PM.png

Round two: I went to Michaels craft store and saw some wired lights that were perfect for this! So, I taped the lights in place and set some new paint down on top of it. With the costume I'm forming from the episode, I am sewing a pocket at the top of the back so that I can follow the wire behind the ear and down the neck to the box to flip the switch to turn it on and off. It still doesn't blink, but it does light up and the sizing is way better. In this photo, I am still missing some of the smaller circuit looking lines that come off the main piece.

Screen Shot 2014-01-05 at 9.30.59 PM.png

Round two: I went to Michaels craft store and saw some wired lights that were perfect for this! So, I taped the lights in place and set some new paint down on top of it. With the costume I'm forming from the episode, I am sewing a pocket at the top of the back so that I can follow the wire behind the ear and down the neck to the box to flip the switch to turn it on and off. It still doesn't blink, but it does light up and the sizing is way better. In this photo, I am still missing some of the smaller circuit looking lines that come off the main piece.

View attachment 271650

Hello,
if I understand it, you're playing a prop of Doctor Who?
you could put a picture of the original that you want to play?

It is progressing well. :)

Oh thank you lpotr4. Here's one of the lights too (it's only a couple since the blinking makes them alternate a bit)

Screen Shot 2014-01-08 at 6.51.13 AM.png

Last edited:
Here's the whole look I went for in New Orleans at Wizard World. Since lots of people would be dressed as the doctor, I decided to just draw the logo from the theme park in the episode onto a t-shirt with some fabric paint. The battery pack is sewn into the back of the shirt so I could cut it on and off easily. I also made the hand pulsar that the soldiers use in the episode. (spoilers, the Doctor uses one of these to get the cyberman tech out of his head). Looks pretty close to that from the episode, but the button is bigger (only light I could find was a bit too big). I also threw in a couple small items, like a printed out map of Hedgewicks World and a golden ticket in my back pocket.

290381-screen-shot-2014-02-17-9-40-52-pm.png

Screen Shot 2014-02-24 at 7.12.58 PM.png

Last edited:
Is it fairly rigid? What did you use to attach it? Did it come off well enough to be able to reuse it? I gotta try this out :)

Is it fairly rigid? What did you use to attach it? Did it come off well enough to be able to reuse it? I gotta try this out :)

it's extremely flexible and pretty hard to tear if you make it thick enough. If you don't put makeup on the area, you can sometimes just put it straight on the skin. I used a mixture of water and elmer's glue to hold it; and it can definitely be used more than once.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back