Lich King Build

Capt TJ

UPDATE: Currently status as of August 5, 2014: Finishing all pieces. Smoothing, resin and paint.
Regarding my 3D printing files: I am not distributing the files for this project for a number of reasons. Number one, the files aren't mine. I obtained them by converting the pep files found on this site. Also, they are all scaled for me, and you'd be better off just making your own files from the pep files available here.

I've finally started on a build that I've been wanting to do for a long time...the Lich King from World of Warcraft.

First, some pics!

Here's some reference pictures of Arthas, the Lich King. He has very oversized armor, an intricate helm and a HUGE sword. The first is a computer render, the other pictures are of a model I have.

wrath-of-the-lich-king-arthas-364199.jpg

IMG_3187.JPG

IMG_3190.JPG

IMG_3191.JPG

IMG_3193.JPG

Last edited:
NOTE: I am no longer using foam for this build, please continue further for the 3D printing and casting portions of the build.

The build so far has been quite the challenge, and I haven't even started the hard parts! In the following pictures, you can see how I've done the parts so far. Mostly I have printed out the pep files and transferred them to foam. I have also printed the 3D pep images so that I can sculpt other pieces. I'm using foam mat for the pieces, which I'll be sealing after I add all the fine details.

My biggest issue is on making the shoulder pieces. They are just so big, and I'm not sure how I can shape my foam to make it say on my shoulders. Any suggestions?

More pics as I progress!

IMG_3343.JPG
IMG_3349.JPG
IMG_3360.JPG
IMG_3361.JPG
IMG_3362.JPG
IMG_3364.JPG

Last edited:
So, an update and a bit of a change on how I'll be moving forward.

Since the foam isn't working quite the way I want this to, I've decided to switch gears entirely (and who doesn't do this at least once per project?).

What I'm doing now is printing the pieces to scale with my 3D printer. After each piece is printed, I'll be covering them in clay to smooth them out and model all of the fine details. Then I'll be making a mold of each piece and casting it in resin or rubber (depends on the piece). I'll probably cast most everything in resin, except the boots, which I'll do in rubber. I'll want those pieces to be flexible as they'll be attached to boots underneath.

Here's the current status of the new build: I've been converting the pep files to 3D print files. I then slice the prints with some 3D software, since they are too big for my printer. I then import each "slice" of a piece of armor into my printing software. The printer then does its work and then I glue all of the slices together to make a completed piece!

Right now I'm printing the forearm gauntlet. Here is what the "slice" I'm currently printing looks like:
IMG_3390.JPG

Next, the software slices the piece into .2mm layers for printing.
IMG_3391.JPG

The printer doing its thing! I have a Rostock MAX delta printer. I'm using black PLA for this project, which is a bit cheaper than ABS. The prints are very hollow, since I'm not worried about the structure too much.
IMG_3392.JPG

Two printed pieces glued together. These are the two pieces above the one that's currently printing.
IMG_3393.JPG

Showing the inside of the print. Hollowed out since this is just a "form" for the clay.
IMG_3394.JPG

Top view, trying to show the front and back at the same time.
IMG_3395.JPG

The first gauntlet has been finished! I have glued together all the pieces and this is the end result. I think it turned out pretty well for having been a converted pep file to 3D print. These pieces came out good enough that I may just clean them up and use them as the final parts. I won't know until I've sanded and smoothed the piece, then painted it. Anyway, here's the raw print on my arm so you can see the scale.

IMG_3413.JPG
IMG_3414.JPG

If you're familiar with this build, feel free to let me know if you think the sizing is right.

It's so hard to size since the characters are so disproportionate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, after printing the lower part of the helmet, it looks like I didn't make it quite big enough. Yes, I can fit my face into it, but it's very tight and won't leave any room for my wig. Looks like I'll have to scale it up a bit.
IMG_3418.JPG

Lots of progress in the last day!
I've just about finished slicing and sizing all of the 3D print files. My printer has been running almost non-stop for the last few days, and it's dialed in perfectly. There are a few rough spots on some of the prints, but nothing that some sanding and bondo won't fix. I still haven't decided if I'm just going to wear the 3D printed helmet or cast it. I'll have to see how good it turns out when it's finally printed.

Speaking of the helmet, I think I've got the sizing just right. It easily goes over my head, and leaves space for the Lich King wig. I'd rather have it too big than too small. Anyway, here's a few progress pics.

This is the 3D printer in action. Printing part of the back of the helmet. It's printed upside down because pointy parts are best printed with the pointy side up. I use blue tape when printing with PLA, and I coat the tape with a glue stick. No edge curl or lifting!
IMG_3421.JPG

Sizing change from the one that's too small (left) to the correct size (right).
IMG_3422.JPG

Another shot of the size difference.
IMG_3423.JPG

Right side of the helmet.
IMG_3425.JPG

Here it is on my head. I think it's turning out pretty nice!
IMG_3426.JPG

must be nice having a 3d printer like this, but is it not amazingly expensive to do all those parts like this? im just wondering :D

must be nice having a 3d printer like this, but is it not amazingly expensive to do all those parts like this? im just wondering :D

I guess that depends on what you consider "amazingly expensive". The price of the printer aside, a roll of filament is about $25, however I make my own filament now, so my price per roll is around $6. Plus, I get to recycle all of my "goofs" (which there have been a few) and all of the support material (printed material that holds overhangs on prints).

Having said that, I haven't actually figured out how many rolls I may go through. I could easily do that, since the software tell me how much filament each print will use (in length). Even if I used 10 rolls of plastic, that's under $100...and I wouldn't consider that very expensive.

In the end, after printing, casting and whatnot, I'm sure I'll have spent less than $500 on this costume, and I don't consider that expensive at all for a build of this size.

The helmet is coming along nicely! Just finished another 5 hour print for part of the top of the helmet, but don't have a pic of it attached yet. Here's a couple of pictures of the helmet progress and of it on my head. I have to hold it on by hand, since there isn't a top yet. I also took a few pics with my Lich King wig. I think it looks like Legolas is wearing the helmet! :lol

Oh, and earlier I was asked about the amount of plastic it would take to print this. In that 5 hour print for example, that used approximately 110 feet of plastic. On a spool of PLA plastic, there is approximately 1000 feet of filament. Now, it does help that I am printing these pieces with 2mm thick walls, since that is plenty strong and it helps reduce the weight significantly. All of the pieces are basically hollow in the middle, except for structural support when needed.

IMG_3430.JPG
IMG_3431.JPG
IMG_3432.JPG
IMG_3433.JPG
IMG_3434.JPG

To convert, just unfold and save them as a .obj file. I then load them into Autocad and Netfab to correct them. Then into repitier and slic3r for printing.

Thanks for the comments everyone. Should have more pics in the next day, including the chain mail I'm making for it (I need another hobby!).

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back