Lich King Build

Made some great progress today! About 95% done with sanding/smoothing the chest piece. Just want to get this done so I can move on to the other pieces.

Finished with the bondo on the chest piece today. Then began sanding the whole thing down.
IMG_8405.JPG

Most of it sanded except the center detail area.
IMG_8406.JPG

More sanding. Using my Dremel and detail sander for the touch up areas.
IMG_8409.JPG

I applied a layer of primer to see what still needs to be sanded. It brings out all the small imperfections. Again, I'm not going for perfect, I want some dents/dings in the armor for realism.
IMG_8410.JPG

This is what happens when you apply Bondo after it dries too much. I'll just fill all of this with some wood putty.
IMG_8411.JPG

Started the final painting on the chest armor today! Can't wait to get this piece done and move on to the shoulders and shins.
I first primed the piece after weeks of sanding and cleaning up. I then applied a coat of hammered metal spray paint, the same stuff on the other pieces. Then I went over it with some black airbrushing and then blue airbrushing (to make it look "cold"). I then sprayed it with ModgePodge, which gives it a crackle finish. Finally, I'm working on the gold trim and then touch-up. Oh, and I have to add the buckles and leather strap tot he front too.

Here it is with just the hammered metal spray paint. I love this stuff!
IMG_8494.JPG

This is after adding some black and blue.
IMG_8499.JPG

Starting the gold trim.
IMG_8502.JPG

Have to do a second coat of gold trim and touch-up. Then add the buckles and leather straps.
IMG_8503.JPG

Just a quick update to say that the chest piece is finished! Well, 99% finished. I have to glue on the buckles and leather strap, but otherwise it's done!

Finished chest piece.
IMG_8613.JPG

Close-up of paint detail.
IMG_8614.JPG

Not dead yet! This project is still being worked on, but is on hold since I moved to Arizona a few months ago and everything is in storage while our new house is being built.
Construction on the King will resume this summer!!

Awesome! Congrats on the new house! I just had a buddy move out there last year, went to visit him during the summer... I couldnt live out there man its so freaking hot! cant wait to see the lich king in all his glory!

Last edited:
Looking forward to some updates on this - it is amazing!

Thanks! We are moving into our new home this weekend, so I'm hoping to have the printer up and running within the next few weeks....assuming nothing got damaged in the 1600 mile move. Keep your fingers crossed!

Seems about time to necro the thread. Do you still have the files for the helmet? Really want it to throw in display and yours is by far the best I have seen.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back