Lich King Build

if you use it as intended, you have to use a chainmaille shirt below it, and hook it onto there. but im not sure if you do it all the way :D

if you use it as intended, you have to use a chainmaille shirt below it, and hook it onto there. but im not sure if you do it all the way :D

Yes, I will be wearing real chain and dragon mail underneath. It won't be a full shirt, but sections attached in the right spots. Earlier in my thread you'll see pictures of the mail that I'm weaving by hand.

It's a big day here in 3D printed Lich King land....I've officially printed every piece! Kinda. Actually, I've printed all of the single pieces, and at least one of all the double (like left/right) pieces. This means no more 3D CAD screwing around. Of course, I'm sure I'll end up re-printing some pieces later on, but otherwise some of the hard stuff is now behind me!

So what's next? Basically I have to print the few remaining pieces, and then I can start the long process of resin, sanding, bondo, etc. Then the painting process. That only finishes the armor. I also have to get fabric for the cape and loin areas, along with all the buckles and connections for the leather strapping. Oh, I also have to figure out a way to connect everything (I have ideas) and I have to finish the chainmaile and dragonmaile.

Ugh...so much for being excited about being done.

On to the pictures!

So, this is what a pile of Lich King armor looks like. Some finished, other parts are just raw printed pieces. And this isn't even all of it!
IMG_4660.JPG

The list of all the pieces I have to make. The next one is what's currently done.
IMG_4669.JPG
IMG_4670.JPG

This is what 10% larger looks like. The correctly sized (and larger) elbow is on the left. Fits perfectly now!
IMG_4645.JPG

Toe parts! Here's a few shots of the toe piece that will be strapped to my boot with leather. There is a piece for the heel and the side too.
IMG_4664.JPG
IMG_4663.JPG

A while back I was asked about cost and how much plastic I'm using. It's not very much, but here's a visual. The toe piece weighs 2.3oz. The next pic is what 2.3oz looks like before it's made into filament. It's not very much at all. I threw a plastic bottle cap in there to give a size reference. Hope that helps. I can weigh other items and show you the comparison if anyone really wants to see.
IMG_4662.JPG
IMG_4661.JPG

So, today is a big day. No, it's a HUGE day.
It's official: I have finished printing all of the parts for the build!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D
Of course, I'm sure I'll be re-printing a piece here and there, but the overall print process is done.

Next up: Smoothing out the parts, filling gaps and coating them in resin and fiberglass. All the parts will be covered in resin for strength, and fiberglass will be added for extra strength where needed.

I haven't decided if I should bondo first, then resin, or resin first and then bondo. Any suggestions? I was gonna bondo then resin because the resin give a clean finish that I can sand and then paint. I'll defer to the experts around here to help guide me.

Pics to follow over the next few days and weeks ahead!

Bondo is intended for sanding, why would car repair shops use it otherwise ;) resin is only intended for strength, i dont see you needing that at all. Doesnt add a lot without fiberglass tho

This looks amazing!

I would only use resin if you need to stiffen parts. Resin is much harder to sand than bondo. You can get the bondo very smooth with fine sandpaper. I would finish the bondo with fine sand paper, prime, patch as needed and wet sand the final coat of primer for a very smooth finish.

Sorry for not having an update recently. Things had been slow going, but are picking up again.

Below is the finished thigh piece (1 of 2). I'm showing different stages of the finishing process, along with some narrative of what occurs at each step. I've also started using a bit of a different technique for finishing the pieces. Here's what I'm doing...

Instead of Bondo, I've decided to use wood filler instead. Bondo is a pain to work with. Not much working time, horrible fumes and it's a pain to sand. I don't need it for strength, I just need it to fill gaps and smooth certain small areas out. So, I decided to try wood filler, and it works great! It has a great working time, is easily applied, no fumes, and can be sanded smooth.

After applying the filler to small gaps and whatnot, I sand it down. Then I apply a coat of resin over the "finished" side of the piece. I then spray it with a filler primer, which helps fill any small problem areas, and shows any other areas that needs more touch-up. Once the "finished" side is complete, I then fiberglass and resin coat the back side of the piece for strength. It's a great process and is helping speed up the finishing process.

Enjoy the pics!

Here's the piece after filling and priming. Just about ready for paint at this step.
IMG_5108.JPG

Here's the backside of the piece after fiberglass and resin. Super strong after this. I sprayed it because you might be able to see small parts of the back as I walk.
IMG_5140.JPG

First coat of paint is a "hammered metal" finish. It comes out of a can, has HORRIBLE fumes, but it looks amazing. Makes a great basecoat!
IMG_5110.JPG

I then airbrush a semi-transparent blue over the piece. This helps show the "cold" of the metal. Remember, this is the Lich King we're dealing with. I may actually add icicles at a later date (there are great products out there to do this)...we'll see how much effort I want to put in!
IMG_5116.JPG

Gold trim around the edge and I start airbrushing black in the valley's and highlight the peaks with a semi-transparent silver.
IMG_5127.JPG

Finished piece.
IMG_5138.JPG
IMG_5139.JPG

Just a different angle. The paint job shifts colors in the light. Really helps sell the "frozen" part of it. The paint is perfect for this project!
IMG_5141.JPG

i simply dont have the words to congratulate you enough on the effort and work you have put in. I have learnt a hell of a lot from reading through this thread and i shall be checking back regularly to keep in touch with how it all goes!

i dont think you have anything to worry about it being a show stopper at the cons.
I just cant wait to get started on mine but i have to finish my space marine first (full 7ft build to fit me!)

thanks again for being an inspiration!

Mr Giant, Zephyranthes and Mike Dickens, THANK YOU SO MUCH for the kind words. It's been quite the journey to get to this point, and now that I'm in the finishing stages, I can finally see some of it paying off.

Minor update: just finished the second thigh and forearm piece. Now working on the second shin piece, elbow pieces and then I may tackle the chest piece and then the shoulders. Even after all the 3D parts are done, I still have to get buckles for the leather strapping to connect the parts to my body. Plus fabric for the cape and groin. Oh, and I still have to finish the chain mail and dragon mail. Crap, forgot about the sword too! I guess I'm no where near done!

A bunch of pictures of the finished helm. I installed blue LED lights above the eye holes. I intend on getting blue contacts as well. I'm also working on converting an e-cigarette into a mini smoke machine so I can have smoke pour from the eye holes when I activate it. Just like the Lich King in the game!

Great Build!

You might look into this company instead of getting the e-cig. Looks like they have a few items that might work for you and it operates on the same principle.

http://www.zerotoys.com/category-s/1841.htm

This is an awesome build! Your dedication to the craft is remarkable. Please show us a video of the completed suit at the con, if you can do it!

Thank you for sharing all of your wips! I now am determined to get a 3d printer.

My wallet hates you!

I just wanted to let everyone know that this project is still very much alive and moving forward.
A number of things have slowed the project down, including some family issues, but the build is gaining momentum again!
I've also been working on a Gears of War build for my girlfriend, and printing Ironman parts for a friend. I'll throw in some pics of the GoW build...especially the lancer.
Thanks again for following and for all the kind word of support!!

Annnnnnd, I'm back!!!!
After finally finishing some 3D printing Iron Man hands for a friend (what a pain in the butt!!!), I'm back to work on the Lich King.

I'm currently re-printing the belt. I didn't like how the previous attempt was turning out. Also, my printer has a new print head and is VERY dialed in now. Using some new printing software that has an auto-leveling feature.
Here's a quick shot of what's printed on the belt:
IMG_8144.JPG

And I've started to bondo the chest piece. The nice thing about building armor is that it doesn't have to be "perfect". What I mean is that it doesn't have to be completely smooth and symmetrical. Imperfections (along with a good paint job) is what makes it look real. And before anyone asks, yes, I will be adding bondo to the entire chest piece, sanding it and sealing it before painting.
IMG_8143.JPG

Did another layer of bondo the other day, and then sanded it up today. Starting to really come together! The nice thing about bondo is that the low points that need to be filled are always darker than the rest of the bondo (since they didn't get sanded). One more layer after this and I'll be able to do a final sanding and touch up. I'm going to add the rivets back on (covered them up with bondo) and the two brass "closures" that you saw in early pics.

Almost done with the bondo layer. Looking to completely remove the joint lines, but leaving "dents" and other minor imperfections for realism. I'll make them stand out even more when I airbrush the piece.
IMG_8167.JPG

This is the back of the chest armor. I left the back mostly unfinished so that I can easily slip in/out of the armor. The back will be covered by the large cape, so it won't ever be seen.
IMG_8168.JPG

The amount of dust created while sanding bondo is crazy. I run two air filters and wear a respirator when sanding.
IMG_8166.JPG
IMG_8165.JPG

I have "Jarvis" printing the belt in large sections.
IMG_8169.JPG

Last edited:
First, you are a hairy hairy man. Second, awesome work. I too have this on my to-do list. I'm working on the sword right now and while I like the 3D printer I am using a CNC for my sword. I'm eager to see the sword you 3d printed come together. Mine is a variation on the one that Blizzard produced so it won't be like yours exactly but I still am eager to see what you turn out.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back