10th Doctor Coat

michaelp1234

I want to get a 10th Doctor coat but I'm not sure which one is the most accurate. Magnoli's coats seem to be pretty accurate but they are pretty expensive. The one on think geek is made of wool which maybe more durable but it is not the same material. Any recommendations?

Also which suit would you say is more accurate? Baron Boutique's or Magnoli's for the 10th Doctor?

Hey! Steve Ricks makes the most accurate coat out there, however it is VERY expensive, and he is a busy guy, so getting him to make one will take some time and a lot of money.

The coat they have on thinkgeek is a good coat qualitywise if it was only a coat. Replicawise not so good. The color is way too dark, and the cut/pattern is very different, this is especially noticable on the huge lapels. (This is the coat I have and it annoys me beyond belief.) I myself have considered getting the coat by tssy2005 on ebay. It's not very expensive, it's made to fit, and the fabric is one more similar to the real deal. And the color is good, which brings me to the next part, the suit.

I myself own the Baron Boutique suit, which looked good on photos I had looked at beforehand, but I have never once been satisified with the color. When I wear the Baron suit and the Thinkgeek/abbyshot coat together, it looks awful. The dark brown color on the coat makes the baron suit look grey in comparison.

Considering the Magnoli suit, It uses a reweave fabric that's damn near identical to the original fabric of the suit. I wish I had spent the extra money to get that one instead of the baron suit. It'll be next on my list after I have bought & altered/ made my own coat.

check out tennantsuit.blogspot.com and tennantcoat.blogspot.com ! Those are Steve Ricks' blogs, he has a lot of research on the subject! :)
Good Luck!

We're about to do a full tweak of our Tennant Suit to make it as screen accurate as possible. I'll be getting one made to my own measurements, and will do a full photo shoot once it's finished. Stay tuned... ;)

Actually the Abbyshot coat is slightly too light. The screen used material had flecks of black in it which make it darker in tone than the Abbyshot version. It's more complicated than that, but for the main part it's true.

I would call the color of the Abbyshot coat too warm. The real fabric is actually almost like a black backing with gold fibers coming out. If I were at home I'd post aclose up picture of my swatch, but I'm out of town for the holidays.

I would call the color of the Abbyshot coat too warm. The real fabric is actually almost like a black backing with gold fibers coming out. If I were at home I'd post aclose up picture of my swatch, but I'm out of town for the holidays.

Too goldeney.

I asked tssy2005 about their coat and they sent me some pictures.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

Steve Ricks is extremely expensive, and rather....blunt, when it comes to questions about his replica coats.

I have a family seamstress working on a replica for me currently, with Joanns-bought fabric and a modified McCalls pattern. I am of course of shall we say, limited income (not poor, but cant drop $350-$550 on a replica coat), so I have had to improvise as best I can.

I actually think that the microsuede currently available at Jo-Ann, I think the color is called Roast Coffee, is very good. For the price, it can't be beat.

Actually the Abbyshot coat is slightly too light. The screen used material had flecks of black in it which make it darker in tone than the Abbyshot version. It's more complicated than that, but for the main part it's true.

Ah. I guess what I meant was, compared to my baron suit, the color of the coat is too dark for my preference. This is how it looks
219a762 (1).jpg

It's OK. You can fix the collar spread by stitching a press stud at the nape of the neck. Just one and it will stop all of that spread. That coat looks a tad big on you though. Although, that's not to say it's not screen accurate. Tennant's coats ranged in size quite dramatically and only one had that close tailored fit we see him in most. No one has so far made a coat with those specs. The first run Abbyshot coat came very close, but they seem to have made them bigger now (yours looks like one of these) due to the liner coming apart at the back which the screen used prop also had problems with (the fitted one anyway). This was due to the tight fit that didn't suit action sequences or movements that required him bending down or stretching out his arms.

The abbyshot's I've seen looked like Del Boy's coats in person. I own a magnoli, which is rather nice, the tssy2005 one would be my preference for a budget option.

Yeah, I made the mistake of buying the Medium, since I didn't like the length of the Small. I'm planning on buying one from tssy2005 and altering it to fit my needs. My biggest worry are the lapels, they never look right.

Yes, it was 2009. The first couple of batches had a very good and pretty accurate cut to the hero coat. It was just the material used that made it look off around the collar. The ones put out from mid 2010 onwards have a looser cut more like that of the original coat the BBC bought from Angels and modified. The stunt coats and back ups also had this looser cut. It's from these that were on display that people have taken the measurements from. No one has yet made a 100% accurate coat based on the cut and fit of the main hero. This coat stands out from the others on screen and looks the best on Tennant. It's most notable in the Christmas Invasion and he wears it less and less as the series progresses.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back