Matchbox's 2014 Halloween Costume Contest Entry - Dr Freeman

Matchbox

BOTTOM OF PAGE 2 FOR FINAL SUIT! (If you cannae be asked to read :p xxx

Hi all!

This will be my first post here so Hello an all that jazz! Though I've been lurking around for a good while, mining for knowledge and the likes.

I have been amazed at the brilliant pieces of work that have been produced on this forum so Kudos where Kudos is due!

This will not be my first suit build however, the 1st one was a touch shoddy, looked about average from a distance XD and was donated to the nearest pub chair at the London Comicon at Excel.

And this is it! Most of the build was paper mache over a wireframe then Plastered with Mudrock and painted in acryllics.

IMG_20131024_225132.jpgIMG_20131027_163116.jpgIMG_20131027_164000.jpg

Suffice to say, it didnt last long under general wear and tear, the Mudrock cracked off on the joints and rubbing parts etc and the legs just didnt make it out the front door, but hey lessons learned and next time, don't rush it out in 3 weeks!

But anyway enough jibber..

My next plan, inspired by you lovely lot and the Enter the Freeman short movie as well as the love of one of the greatest games of all time! Is to build the HEV suit! (beta version give or take a few personal modifications, just cause I like the LED's : )

I will be making this to actually last and be as realistic as possible! I've managed to get hold of enough Kevlar to build the undersuit, I will be creating a mold from foam and bulding up a Kevlar/Fibreglass composite over the top, primarily 'cause Kevlar fabric has the exact finish of the in game suit and should.. knock on wood.. look wicked.

I would like to make a full start to finish log of this as I haven't seen a proper full build thread!

Here's some prgress:

I am creating a helmet to go with this suit as well, the primary reason is, well, practice, it's not worth wasting time pepping for weeks on the torso to find a better way of folding glueing etc. So Helm went first, I CGI'd this model and unfolded it myself just 'cause it's real quiet at work and the Devil makes work for idle hands.

The Torso was an Adapt from Nuggets piece and I unfolded it myself 'cause null.EXE's flaps were too small for my liking. The rest of the suit is all unfolded etc by Null and made by Nugget as they were about as accurate as I would have made them myself, no use re-doing work XD

IMG_20131106_233713.jpgIMG_20131106_233704.jpgIMG_20131117_132434.jpgIMG_20131117_132442.jpgIMG_20131215_164517.jpg

Resined and Fibreglassed:
IMG_20131117_155356.jpgIMG_20131117_155429.jpgIMG_20131123_133211.jpg

This was after the 2nd application of bodyfiller on top of the fibreglass after sanding about 70% of the paper off and getting the corners a bit smoother.

The paint is a High build Filler Primer which was great for plugging up the pinholes without spot putty or anything fancy like that, just saves even more sanding:
IMG_20131215_142451.jpgIMG_20131215_141531.jpg

This hole will mount my custom 'beta suit' style panel, got some sketches somehwere but I'll put them up when I come to build the compartment!
IMG_20131215_141409.jpg

And the Torso as it stands, filled in the major holes and stuff, worked the body filler into the back of it as well so it should just need 1 or 2 sanding sessions and maybe another layer of filler on the back. And tidying up all the edges, that is going to be a pain...

IMG_20131215_164457.jpg

The plan is to try as many techniques on this suit as possible for the sake of learning more than anything, I will be 'Rhondo-ing' the arm and leg pieces, maybe try a bit of Mudglassing here and there (fibreglass and rhondo). And Finally I'll be cutting and magnetising various bits of the suit as the game designers clearly didnt think people would want to wear this thing in real life :)

In case anyone's interested here's a material list I'm going through/gone through so far:

80gsm Cardstock
Pritt Stick (Controversial, but it works well enough : )
Masking Tape

1x 500ml + 2x 1 litre cans can of Davids Fastglass Resin
3x Fastglass Hardener sache's
6m x 1.5m Fibreglass Mat (enough for 4 or 5 suits and it was only £20)
1x 2.5l can of UPOL Easy sand Bodyfiller
2x Cans Halfords Primer Filler

(not needed but I want to be fancy) Kevlar 1m x 3m

Because the Resin and the filler are polyester based, you can use the Resin hardner in the bodyfiller too which makes life simple!

That's it for now! Sorry about the essay!

Thanks for stopping in!

Matchbox

Last edited:
Re: H.E.V Suit Build - Start to Finish!

Thank you!

I also plan to keep this updated as I go, helps keep the enthusiasm/momentum going... well that's the hope anyways!

Currently the weather has been rubbish and a lack of shed/cover has slowed the work flow quite a bit. I took a big step the other day, quite daunting it was, cutting the torso into two parts in order to make it actually wearable, it will be joined with some cool Neodymium magnets XD Also finished the base helmet, next step is going in with some details then tidying the edges.

I'm currently in the process of putting on the final layer of body filler to get all the little dips and pinholes out, the paint was quite expensive so I've gone a cheaper route and just put a touch more body filler on and 5 mins extra work, no biggy.

Thanks for stopping in and all that jazz!

/M

Great build so far! What is your helmet design exactly based on? It isn't completely Game-accurate, or is it? It surely looks like the helmets that are featured on some of the pictures a google search brings up, but somehow it looks a lot more badass and grim! Really like it!

Thanks! just stopped by your's too, great start!

The helmet doesn't technically exist in the game, I did some of my own concept sketches and found some images of HL1 mods and 1 concept drawing but other than that I kind of tried to match it to the general design of the suit. 'cause really how on earth does Freeman take a headshot, or have O2 under water OR ZOOM IN :) so hey that's the theory behind it.

/M

Haven't had much of an update lately.. with pictures anyway!

Current progress so far, Cut in 2 added magnets and re assembled, now has a removable front panel for easy wearing. 1 issue, the couple of weeks its been separated parts have bent slightly out of shape so I need to add pins that slot in and out to keep it all in the right place.

I'll be adding clips as well for extra security in case this thing just falls off for no reason :/

IMG_20131217_193032.jpgIMG_20131217_192937.jpgIMG_20140115_191051.jpgIMG_20140115_191103.jpg

Did a test fit of the helmet too, just need to add in the details and secure the visor in place properly.

Thanks for stopping in

/M

Right well, I guess there's not really much to say with the lack of replies :)

But continuing with the update mainly on the torso, 'cause I want to get the main piece perfect before the rest, plus it allows for learning along the way.

Anyway, currently its a mess but hey:

This was before any editing straight after the cut in half, worked alright but there were some big gaps. Was more to make sure it fit well!
IMG_20140120_210659.jpg

So I went in and installed some side clip strap type things to hold it tighter and as a backup, just need 2 more for the sides.
IMG_20140123_210138.jpg

Then after some body filler'ing and a lot of work with the Dremel to cut those grooves out!
IMG_20140130_210920.jpgIMG_20140130_210952.jpgIMG_20140130_211002.jpg

Still need to go in again with the body filler to smooth out the grooveyness

Otherwise this is where I'm at 'til the weather improves :/

Thanks

/M

Looking awesome so far! Hopefully when you finish, it'll "fit you like a glove."

I'll show myself out.

Ha wicked! Thanks for stopping in guys!

I had a rather productive Sunday this weekend, filled and smoothed the cut outs, just need a little bit of touching up and it'll be good for the final paint job!

Extra straps installed and generally tidied up:

IMG_20140202_163740.jpgIMG_20140202_163751.jpg

IMG_20140202_163824.jpgIMG_20140202_163855.jpg

Like a glove indeed Rubber Slug! Still needs the padding which arrived last night in the post.
IMG_20140202_174257.jpgIMG_20140203_093221.jpgIMG_20140203_093150.jpg

Those dodgy side joins I am planning on tidying up with 2mm craft foam just so they fit together snugly and add a bit of depth/personal touch to the piece, I'll be adding the odd bit of detailing here and there with the foam to be a bit more 'original'? ha.

In case you're wondering what's going in that massive hole in the back, its the bottom left design in this image the rest are just concept sketches to show I didn't start from nothing :)
IMG_20140204_104716.jpgIMG_20140204_104721.jpg

Base design for the undersuit:
IMG_20140204_104712.jpgIMG_20140204_104706.jpg

Main section of the undersuit:
IMG_20140204_104651.jpgIMG_20140204_104655.jpg

Thanks for stopping in and thanks for the kind words, starting to get more excited about this build as it gets less and less daunting!

Cheers!

/M

Last edited:

Great looking so far! I really like how you put your own style into this build, especially with the helmet and the back details!

Will the final orange / brown tone differ from the current one? Seems to be more brown than orange to me.

Interesting choice to cut up the armor, I was going to cut mine open between the neck and arms to create a front and back part. But I guess I change my plans and steal your idea, probably a lot more stable to wear and no need to cut through the plain surface above the shoulders!

Looking forward to see more! :)

Thanks! the orange at the moment is just a High build filler primer, I'll be going over with a dark grey primer then working into it with the airbrush and silver acryllics etc.

I had to cut my armour 'cause it was so rigid from the fibreglass and bodyfiller I couldn't get it on any other way, the only thing I'd say about doing the way I did is that you need some sort of pins to keep it held in the right position and some sort of groove/slot together shape like the side shot, and plenty of straps, but that's the price to pay to have it cut along the seams like that. And it's quite hard to clip the straps together.

Should be at the final painting stage this weekend coming!

Hiya,

I registered just to keep an eye out on your build. I would love to make a HEV suit for myself but have no idea where to begin (never done cosplay before), so I really appreciate you sharing all these steps and it looks fantastic!!

Keep it up!

Hiya,

I registered just to keep an eye out on your build. I would love to make a HEV suit for myself but have no idea where to begin (never done cosplay before), so I really appreciate you sharing all these steps and it looks fantastic!!

Keep it up!

Brilliant, thanks!

This is only my second Cosplay and the first time using any of these materials.

this is basically how I went through it in my head if you're still stuck for where to start :)

1 - Idea - HEV suit, googled HEV suit cosplay - found pepakura.
2 - Researched cosplay sites (mainly here and the 405th)
3 - Learnt as much as possible about 'Bondo', fibreglassing, 'Rhondo'.
4 - Jumped in the deep end, built the pepakura with varying degrees of success.
5 - Did more research on smoothing bondo and splitting torso armour (very useful if you actually want to get in and out of it easily)
6 - Played around for the next 4 months building ;)

Here's where I'm at as of this weekend:

initial undersuit pinning, it turns out you can quite easily shape foam with a hairdryer on max heat so that saved me a few squids on a heat gun:
IMG_20140209_141649.jpg

Loaded up the airbrush and did a test coat of the base silver I will be using (going to weather it with a sponge) went in with a brush to get a 'brushed chrome' kinda of underlay effect.

Also added the neck and arm padding:
IMG_20140209_193141.jpg

Current overall progress!
IMG_20140209_204817.jpg

It is quite tight fitting with the undersuit in there, oh Captain Hindsight would say, should have made the torso a touch bigger, but too much time money and effort has gone into it to start over, I'm not loaded so I shall make do XD.

Need to figure out how to actually mount the undersuit 'cause I have to put the torso on 1st otherwise I can't physically get into it.

Thank you for stopping in!

/M

Last edited:

Argh, man, now I want to make an undersuit armor as well! Seems competition is the best motivation! ;)

Great progress so far! Undersuit looks great! And the 3D lambda logo is a great touch! :thumbsup

Morning, just about over here ;)

Another productive weekend, a day off work with a lot of effing and blinding later and most of the Torso is painted:

The back under armour is now permanently affixed to the main piece, just saves effort in putting on/together :)
IMG_20140217_150736.jpgIMG_20140217_163657.jpg

Another mock up of the front undersuit, I need to figure out a way to properly pin it.
IMG_20140217_171716.jpgIMG_20140217_171710.jpg

Most of the time was waiting for the airbrushed undercoats to dry, still cant ace the consistency for watering down acrylics.

Anyway, it's not much but was a lot of effort, also it still needs some tidying up and the orange on the whole back and the front grooves needs finishing/tidying up ;)

Thanks for stopping in!

/M

Thanks, yeah I'm quite pleased with myself about the final paint job XD

Hoping to get the back painted this evening, I managed to finish the front details last night.

I'll update in an edit of this post or something, but for now I require some advice!

I've spent the morning drawing up circuit diagrams for powering my lighting/cooling rig and I'm wondering what you think about Solar panels? Basically I plan on having some AA rechargeable batteries rigged to 2 x 5.5v Solar panels so that they are trickle charged when in the sun and run as normal indoors.

anyway the question is, how long roughly would 2(or 4) standard AA batteries run 8 White LED's and 2 low wattage cpu fans?

I'm guessing not very long which is why I thought of solar panels :)

Anyhow, thanks if you can help!

/M

Hey Hey,

I was going to do this in a Edit, but it's been a while, my bad... been slacking!

Anyways, I now have the chest piece finished, gave it a Lacquer clear coat for protection as the acryllics scratch to buggery if you catch it on something. Might give the 'metal' another coat see how it goes...

IMG_20140301_175134.jpgIMG_20140301_160548.jpgIMG_20140301_175152.jpg

The helmet with some of the foamy details put in... not sure how well it's going to work with the actual suit, might be a tad too big, but I'll see.. If I dont use it, just tidy it up and jam it on ebay XD

IMG_20140301_151611.jpg

well that's it for now, Rhondo'd the thigh pieces and both left arm pieces, just need to pep the rest! 2 shins and the left arm lower/upper.

Will do them soon XD

/M

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back