I want to do my own Con. Tips?

fleefromme

So my friend and I have decided that we want to start our own Con. We have been doing some research and have decided that we are going to take our time in the planning/executing process (1-3yrs). The general plan I have come up with is to volunteer at Cons so that we may get to understand what goes into them.

Any insite and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

a good friend of mine started PopCon here in LA and lost his ass the first time around. Thats about what you need to look forward to.

Myself and a friend started Dublin Comic Con (first time ever doing anything like this) and we sold out our first day in a few hours and had to refuse people at the door (6000 attendees), so it really can be hit and miss judging from Robstyle's friends experience. We were lucky we had some great friends to help out when we needed it and even some amazing RPF members fro the UK came over to support us and display which was great.

That being said, its ALOT of work, I mean ALOT!!! of work, time and money so plan it out very carefully. We were planning it 2 years in advance an we still had alot of mistakes which we will rectify next year. We focused on making it the best con we can for attendees (I.e lots of free displays and activities and alot to keep them entertained aswell as supporting local artists) and the rest fell into place.

Remember though, volunteering at other cons will only give you a small insight. There is alot that happens even further behind the scenes and it is a business in the end of the day if you want the con to grow. If there is anything I can help with (with my very small amount of experience) just ask.

Thanks! I plan on putting all my questions (as they come) here. At this point the con is in the concept stage. I hope to have more for you guys.

Pay a lot of attention to the back end of things that most convention goers never see. There are things like insurance and on-site EMS legalities (may vary by state) that you may never have thought about. Research conventions in the same region AND the same timeframe you are looking at. You wouldn't want to go up against Dragon*Con even if it's on the other side of the country, for example. Marketing is key. If you spend money on one aspect, make sure it is marketing and takeaways (programs, badges, etc.). People respond well to a physical, tangible reminder of their time there. Also, parking is a potential huge issue. I know a lot of people who aren't ever returning to Motor City Comic Con because of the parking and ticket issues they had last year (people were forced to park just over a mile away and walk to the convention center, then wait in lines for many hours even if they had presale tickets that promised to let them get in early, etc.). The on-the-floor aspect of the convention is probably I'd estimate maybe 1/4 of the stuff you plan for. This is just an estimate from having attended many conventions as a media guest or as an attendee, but I have event planning experience in other areas so have a base understanding of how large events such as this work.

It's a daunting task, but even the best conventions all had to have a first convention weekend at some point!

Can't speak from experience in this market but i've helped with the event/marketing planning aspect for other conventions (putting on and attending as a company). One thing I would definitely suggest for just beginning is market research. As mistymills pointed out, you definitely don't want to run something new against (or anywhere near) a time-frame of a larger convention. Your best bet would be to find a down-time between some conventions and label it as a north-east con of sort. Additionally, research the basics of "is this something people want". Basic sales will tell you that if you have something someone wants/needs it should be easy to sell at a reasonable price, if it's not something people want/need you're going to need to do a lot of leg work to spark interest and develop that want and need.

Also another thing to consider is networking. People really don't leverage their networks nearly as much as they should. Even being a member here will give you a strong core of people with varying skill sets that can lend advice, resources, or even word of mouth about an event like this (especially since they are the audience you are aiming to get attendance with).

I am happy to share any other insights or answer basic questions to the best of my knowledge if you need - just PM me. Good Luck!

I haven't been to many conventions lately but several years ago I was a guest at a few and got to see and participate in a lot of the behind the scenes planning (and drama). It was some of the best times I've ever had, but also the most stressful and sometimes disheartening. I did learn quite a bit in a couple areas.

FINANCES

Don't just be frugal, get an experienced finance person and run all costs through them and LISTEN. It is so, so worth it. Some of the most amazing conventions have not been able to pay their bills because budgets were not kept and then they could not have another one. It's much better to start small and not fulfill every idea you have first time around than to burn bridges because you run out of money to pay venues or guests.

VOLUNTEER GUESTS

The best cons I've been to and have been part of had fans as guests who work hard with their friends to put on a show or panel that THEY would want to see.

I don't know what type of convention you are thinking of, but for many genres, experienced speakers and performers from the fan community can often not just bring their expertise but also an accessibility and enthusiasm to help create the program that you can't always find in a paid professional who just shows up to do the gig. Often fans will volunteer merely for comp tickets to the convention, sometimes they need a little help with transportation getting there and/or accommodations.

When contacting them, be selective and know why you want them so you can tell them what work they've done that brought them to your attention and why it would benefit your con. Be personal and do it individually. Sending out a mass email asking a bunch of people at once for help is not going to get you the best. Be clear up front on the minimum of what you would need them to do and whatever compensation you are offering them BUT, also ask them for ideas of what more they think they could do or would want to do for your consideration (and your finance person's).

Fans can be extremely creative and they know what other fans want to see and if it's their idea they will have much more excitement to make it work... maybe even encourage them to pull in their friends. Be clear on the limitations of your budget if their ideas get too big. Blaming having to say 'no' on the finance guy is another great reason to have one! haha! Just make sure they don't put any work into anything until you know for sure you can use it... You don't want to waste the time of a volunteer fan guest.

That said, be sure to hype up and market the volunteer fan guests almost as much as you would your paid famous guests (if you have them). While fan attendees want to see other fan's speak, they need extra help understanding what it is they will be seeing if they don't know what they do.

I've done live demonstrations and workshops front and center of a con that were a huge hit and we ran out of supplies because people saw what we were doing as they were walking by and that drew them in to be part of it. But I've also been put off in a corner basement as an afterthought with only 5 people showing up.

RESPECT VOLUNTEER WORKERS

Make sure everyone on your core team understands the value of their volunteer workers and treats them with respect. The worst experiences I've had are almost always because one or two bad apples among those running the cons mistreated and/or didn't listen to their volunteers or simply did not communicate clearly so expectations were off on both sides, feelings were hurt, people get angry and it all could have been avoided with more professional courtesy. Provide some sort of 'thank you'. It makes a huge difference when deciding if you want to volunteer again if you know you were appreciated. Having a thank you breakfast or party or even just a comp t-shirt with a note or bag can give tangible acknowledgement above and beyond the voiced 'thank yous' and respect you should be giving anyway.

PROFESSIONALISM FROM VOLUNTEERS

Also be sure to communicate the expected professionalism from your volunteers especially if they interact with paid guests or paid venues/caterers/security etc. Unfortunately not everyone knows what being professional looks like so you have to explain it out just in case. Some, especially younger fans, can get overly excited or drop the ball and think it's no big deal because they are just a volunteer. Another reason to give some sort of compensation or tangible 'thank you' to your volunteers is that it lets them know they are important, their job is important, you couldn't do it without them and you know it.

That said, some might be immature and need some looking after. Have someone in charge of the volunteers to address those that are not following set protocol with an understanding, upbeat and teaching tone and whom they can come to with questions so your core team can focus on other aspects of what is going on.

I've probably gone on far too long here, but hopefully some of it is relevant.

Last edited:
To build on Guri’s insights, and to also help with finances, plan extensively around your venders/booths and building interest.

Aside from workshops and guest speakers/sessions, the vendors and booths make up a large chunk of “things to do” at a convention. The best part is that they are a win/win/win if done right – meaning the attendees are happy to have exciting products/vendors to visit with and/or purchase from, vendors get to talk about their product/service and make sales or potential sales (or at the very least get their name out in front of a desirable market), and finally you’re happy because your attendees are happy and the vendors are helping to pay your bills.

Before jumping headfirst into finding vendors/booths you need to have a solid idea of what exactly your convention is going to be and the market of people you will be appealing to. Once you have a strong idea of this, you need to put it onto paper. Make up a rough markup copy of everything: general overview (primary theme, secondary theme, etc), some specifics (i.e. time, possible locations, size, etc.), audience type (i.e. age range, gender, interests, median income if applicable, etc.), and finally why this specific vendor would want to come (write them out a summary, look into their business and know what they sell/service and why your audience is good for them).

Next you will want to also look into a sponsorship program to also help pay bills. You can brand anything really, they key is getting vendors to want to help brand it so you can give it away free while also offsetting the costs of your speaker’s air travel. To start I would personally build a “partnership/sponsorship packet” which would outline in more detail all the audience and convention details. Additionally, you make levels of sponsorships with a single “gold member” level available. I usually build out 3-5 levels of sponsorship which each has more benefits and cost than the previous. For example: level 1 = logo on t-shirt, company overview and logo in directory/show guide, and logo on website with additional mentions throughout convention over loudspeaker with booth location, 2 = all benefits of level 1 including company logo on hand bag handouts at the door and on banners behind main stage…… gold level = only one available, includes all benefits of other levels, opening comments before main speaker, co-branding on social media sites for convention, and exclusive lunch for VIP guests with company branding.

Once you have the sponsor handout information built, start sending out to applicable vendors – which can also include companies/groups outside your direct market that might also touch your audience base (i.e. local art studios, shops, etc). You can do something similar for your food vendors too, which is always nice to be able to have food on site to help keep people there.

Along with building the vendors list and sponsorship opportunity, you need to also build up the hype to get people to come so you can follow through with your end for your vendors by getting people to actually show up. Start by building your website so people can have something to find on the Google. Once that is up and running with your convention information outlined on it, start working with social media and forums to direct people to your website to sign up for additional information emailings, pre-register, or go to the FAQ section. This not only gets people to find out about it and get excited, but it also gives you a ground to stand on when reaching out to vendors (you look significantly more legit and invested when information is readily available and people are interested – making them more likely to pay you)

Once websites and social media are up, use them. Nobody likes stale information; update your audience on how things are going. Even if it’s talking about other conventions, tips and tricks, or why your convention is going to be the best, post it because pretty much anything relevant/appropriate is better than nothing at all. If you are lucky and have/get sponsors early on (especially your top sponsor) you can have a side agreement/discussion on giveaways leading up to the show – i.e. split the costs on an iPad, collector’s edition item, etc and raffle it off to those who pre-register by a certain date, but remember to advertise that everywhere you have access to if you decide to do that because just handing an iPad away to the one person who pre-registered is never fun.

Also in terms of volunteers – everything Guri said is spot on, especially thanking them. My experience with volunteers is to give them incentive and treat them like convention royalty. If you’re having a multiple day convention, I would offer up a free ticket for either the rest of the day or the next day access for sure, a free t-shirt (this not only gives them a t-shirt but also gives them something that distinguishes themself as volunteers and people can ask them for help if needed), supply them with a free lunch (could be as simple as pizza/sandwiches or as fancy as catered), and finally offer them a 10%+ discount on convention swag or onsite food. These all cost fairly minimum amounts of money in comparison to paying people to work, but really speaks a lot to the volunteers overall experience and happiness.

Also, get an experienced marketing person. Even if you only have a limited budget and rely on social media, it is very important as this is the face of your convention the 51 weeks out of the year that is not convention weekend. Pay attention to how your convention comes off. Right now there's a lot of local uproar about a convention talking on Facebook about banning people from attending if they complain about their experiences last year (we're talking 2+ hour wait times in line in almost-100-degree sunlight for pre-sale ticketholders who were promised entry before the convention, parking fiascos and other things). That sort of thing resonates and has a lot of people wanting to patronize another convention a month prior to this one instead.

No updates as of yet :unsure. The biggest road block is getting my friend help out. Which is bothersome, due to the fact that this was his idea. Im just suppose to be the help, but i digress. Hopefully going to Anime Boston will bring new vigor to our quest.

p.s.
I think i may look at the venue and monies as a starting point.

I am glad I did a search before I started a new thread. Great ideas RPF!. I
attached a couple of links I found in my research. What I found to be most interesting is that people complain about the big cons but still go since that is where everybody is.
Funny, I think the real question is "Why would you want to start your own con?"
Like starting a restaurant, you have to really have a passion for it.
http://interventioncon.com/2011/07/11/8-things-you-should-know-before-starting-your-own-convention/
http://www.trhonline.com/viewcat.pl?howtostartacon

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back